Huggies Forum

preservtive free Lock Rss

hi i'm hoping to start my DS who has just turned 2 on a preservative free diet for his behaviour and asthma. I'm just wanting any help or hints on products to buy or what to avoid. I'm buying a breadmaker tomorrow and maybe also yoghurt maker. Any help at all would be greatly apprecieted. Thanks
Hi we have trouble with our son... just recently he got really bad and we had to cut out pretty much all additives... we find that colours are no good either. He gets a rash on his mouth, goes crazy, gets angry and sometimes i think he gets a tummy ache.

here's a post i started a few weeks ago- someone gave me some great info...here

there is also a link on that thread with info about all the additives- worth having a look.

we've pretty much started making everything from scatch- and don't buy processed stuff- you don't HAVE to make bread- just check that it doesn't have the 'bad' stuff in it - we can get bread from the local servo. i do often make bread though-by hand we don't have a machine.
we also have a yogurt maker <span class="emoticon grin">grin</span>

Some more unexpected things to watch out for - marjarine, some ham, powdered chicken stock, gravy powder, processed cheese, soft drinks(even natural colour ones)... i can't think of anything else at the moment...

Hi we have trouble with our son... just recently he got really bad and we had to cut out pretty much all additives... we find that colours are no good either. He gets a rash on his mouth, goes crazy, gets angry and sometimes i think he gets a tummy ache.

here's a post i started a few weeks ago- someone gave me some great info...here

there is also a link on that thread with info about all the additives- worth having a look.

we've pretty much started making everything from scatch- and don't buy processed stuff- you don't HAVE to make bread- just check that it doesn't have the 'bad' stuff in it - we can get bread from the local servo. i do often make bread though-by hand we don't have a machine.
we also have a yogurt maker <span class="emoticon grin">grin</span>

Some more unexpected things to watch out for - marjarine, some ham, powdered chicken stock, gravy powder, processed cheese, soft drinks(even natural colour ones)... i can't think of anything else at the moment...

Thank you i'vejust started reading your PP. Another question though my DS loves cheese so i no slices would probably be out but can i still buy a block??? Also with gravy powder is there a brand that i can buy otherwise with casseroles and other things what would i use. Sorry i'm completely clueless. Also what do i feed him for snacks during day and also what yoghurt maker do you have??? Thank you so much i'm having alot of trouble with his behaviour and also constant asthma attacks that then lead to vomiting!!!
I can't give any advice but have thought about cutting out preservatives as I hear good things about it in terms of behavior. I have also heard a lot about omega 3 improving challenging behaviours have you tried it?

I can't give any advice but have thought about cutting out preservatives as I hear good things about it in terms of behavior. I have also heard a lot about omega 3 improving challenging behaviours have you tried it?

No never tried omega 3.... would it be by food or vitamins???

Thank you i'vejust started reading your PP. Another question though my DS loves cheese so i no slices would probably be out but can i still buy a block??? Also with gravy powder is there a brand that i can buy otherwise with casseroles and other things what would i use. Sorry i'm completely clueless. Also what do i feed him for snacks during day and also what yoghurt maker do you have??? Thank you so much i'm having alot of trouble with his behaviour and also constant asthma attacks that then lead to vomiting!!!

Its hard hey? My sons behaviour just got worse and worse- and i could tell he was struggling so hard to be good (he's just 4) Thankfully he doesn't get bad asthma- but my brothers did- it can aweful.

cheese blocks are fine. I havn't found any gravy powder- i don't use it heaps and only just found out that the ones i were looking at were no good- havn't looked at them all... i was planning on looking more-and i guess useing cornflour if i couldn't find any??? We use easiyo yogurt- you can buy some yogurts but they're more expensive.

snacks: he can have anything homemade- biscuits, slice, with chocolate, peanut butter and some jams are fine. If you home make them you can make them healthier too anyway. i think there are quite a few packet biscuits that are fine- just have a look. and fruit. you just can't have lots of the packet snacks or flavoured milks/yogurts or cheese snack things.

I find going out is the hardest- you never know what has which additives if you need to get lunch or a snack... brumbies bakery is good - and rather than a milkdrink- i get them a babychino/fluffy, other than that we're still working that out too.

The good thing about a preservative/colourings allergy is they can pretty much still eat anything-just the right brand. (you don't have to totally cut a food out you just have to use the right one)

How long have you been doing it- we noticed a change after about 3 days on it, but since then he's accidently had a little bit (he dipped a chip in some sauce one day when we were out) and it set him off for about a day. - its worth sticking to the diet! smile

Its hard hey? My sons behaviour just got worse and worse- and i could tell he was struggling so hard to be good (he's just 4) Thankfully he doesn't get bad asthma- but my brothers did- it can aweful.

cheese blocks are fine. I havn't found any gravy powder- i don't use it heaps and only just found out that the ones i were looking at were no good- havn't looked at them all... i was planning on looking more-and i guess useing cornflour if i couldn't find any??? We use easiyo yogurt- you can buy some yogurts but they're more expensive.

snacks: he can have anything homemade- biscuits, slice, with chocolate, peanut butter and some jams are fine. If you home make them you can make them healthier too anyway. i think there are quite a few packet biscuits that are fine- just have a look. and fruit. you just can't have lots of the packet snacks or flavoured milks/yogurts or cheese snack things.

I find going out is the hardest- you never know what has which additives if you need to get lunch or a snack... brumbies bakery is good - and rather than a milkdrink- i get them a babychino/fluffy, other than that we're still working that out too.

The good thing about a preservative/colourings allergy is they can pretty much still eat anything-just the right brand. (you don't have to totally cut a food out you just have to use the right one)

How long have you been doing it- we noticed a change after about 3 days on it, but since then he's accidently had a little bit (he dipped a chip in some sauce one day when we were out) and it set him off for about a day. - its worth sticking to the diet! smile

Thanks heaps. I'm hoping to start him tomorrow on new diet. Planning on doing groceries and some cooking today. Wow 3 days is't long for an improvement i thought it'd take longer. Cornflour is a good idea i didn't thing of that.

I need to do something as his asthma is worse and behaviour wise it's very hard. Even though he's just turned 2 he's bout 22kg and so strong takes 6 of us to get his blood taken. So i can't physically keep lifting him to control him.

Have you put all your children on the preservative free diet or just your DS??

Thanks heaps. I'm hoping to start him tomorrow on new diet. Planning on doing groceries and some cooking today. Wow 3 days is't long for an improvement i thought it'd take longer. Cornflour is a good idea i didn't thing of that.

I need to do something as his asthma is worse and behaviour wise it's very hard. Even though he's just turned 2 he's bout 22kg and so strong takes 6 of us to get his blood taken. So i can't physically keep lifting him to control him.

Have you put all your children on the preservative free diet or just your DS??

3 days- till obvious improvement- but he was pretty bad to start with wink so it took longer to get back to normal - he also had to learn how to get out of the habit of getting angry and going off at everything (still struggles sometimes-but not 'cos of the additives grin )- but it was MUCH easier to deal with once he didn't have any additives in his system. After about 1-2 weeks he was great.

when he was 2-3 he used to only react to some colours and some preservatives- now his allergy seems to be a lot more sensitive.

We're all on the diet - its easier that way and i figure its better for all of us. we're just not as strict with Me, DH and DD - eg. we had pancakes (homemade) for breakfast and DH and i had fake mayple syrup, Miles had brown sugar and butter. I still use marjarine on sandwiches- he doesn't.

hope you manage the new diet ok- just try to be REALLY strict to start with at least. Let me know how it goes smile
I got put onto Sue Dengate's book "Fed Up". Brilliant. There's a website too I think, but if you don't want to buy it, just get it out at the library. My son is a different child. His allergies, asthma and behaviours are practically non-existent now. And boy do I notice the difference when we get a bit slack! He is even great at choosing the right choices now, as he knows the upsetting consequences. He feel awful, cries and sometimes vommits after a really bad binge. The only thing I have found is a lack of support from my parents and in-laws as it's not a medically diagnosed condition like his other ones. They are constantly trying to prove me wrong, and thus far have not done so, only making my boy hyper, upset, then sick... Good luck with it all.

I got put onto Sue Dengate's book "Fed Up". Brilliant. There's a website too I think, but if you don't want to buy it, just get it out at the library. My son is a different child. His allergies, asthma and behaviours are practically non-existent now. And boy do I notice the difference when we get a bit slack! He is even great at choosing the right choices now, as he knows the upsetting consequences. He feel awful, cries and sometimes vommits after a really bad binge. The only thing I have found is a lack of support from my parents and in-laws as it's not a medically diagnosed condition like his other ones. They are constantly trying to prove me wrong, and thus far have not done so, only making my boy hyper, upset, then sick... Good luck with it all.

here is the link to a list of additives, and the fedup site.
As others have replied, Sue Dengate has books out that you can buy or borrow. The two that I have for my 6 year old are Fed up with Asthma and The Failsafe Cookbook. These two books and her website fed up have changed her life for the better. It is not hard to do, all we did was cut out the artificial colours and the natural colour that she says, the preservatives listed, the flavour enhancers listed, the synthetic antioxidants and the high to very high vegetables and fruits that are listed. It came as a shock to us how many fruit/vegies and other foods were bad for not only asthma/behaviour but many other common health problems. Give it a good try, you will be very shocked at what a difference it will make .GOOD LUCK
Thanks heaps erveryone for the replies and advice. Bought a breadmaker and yoghurt maker so will do them tonight plus make some biscuits or muffins. I do have another question tho what do you eat for dinner..??? Thanks again so much!!!!
Sign in to follow this topic