Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. those who are or have studied nursing

those who are or have studied nursing Lock Rss

where have you studied? is it online or distance? and roughly how much does it cost etc

want to study nursing but not sure where to start looking...

i have a cert III in aged care 12mths ago and cert III in childrens services about 12 years ago

thanks

RN or EN?

I finished my RN last year via external learning on the internet with unisa

Hasn't cost me a cent as I have a HELP debt (previously called a hecs debt) which you don't have to pay back until you earn 30k. Then they take the money out of your tax return so that it doesn't hurt you financially.

en is the lower of the two isn't it? i'm happy just to get the lower one done first smile... do you know the website for unisa and how did you find studying by distance? how do you go with prac, exams etc

where have you studied? is it online or distance? and roughly how much does it cost etc

want to study nursing but not sure where to start looking...

i have a cert III in aged care 12mths ago and cert III in childrens services about 12 years ago

thanks

I'm an RN, I graduated from JCU seven years ago. I completed my degree on campusover three years full time. I found that the textbooks were quite expensive and when I had to away for hospital placements (usually two weeks) I lost the income I received from my casual job. Other than those expenses I also came out of it with a HELP debt of around $12000 which I'm still paying off.
thank you smile i want to try external to avoid childcare cost if possible (will have 2 at school and one at kindy next year so only one at home) smile

i have heard that the txt books are expensive too sad

En is via tafe or a private company like ctc (south aus) . you have to pay up front for those but the course is only 18 months as opposed to 3 yrs for rn.

as for text books, I bought all mine second hand at textbookexchange.com.au for excellent prices, and all that I bought were in great condition. some had highlighted marks or pen marks but I didnt care about that

I studied at uniSA - Adelaide Campus. It's a great uni. You'll spend a fair bit of money on printing and photocopying as well. Check with your tax agent, you might be able to claim some costs.

I studied at uniSA - Adelaide Campus. It's a great uni. You'll spend a fair bit of money on printing and photocopying as well. Check with your tax agent, you might be able to claim some costs.

thanks well it looks like unisa is the way to go then smile....

though by the time i finish studying i'll be around 35 if i do it part time... is that to old?

thanks

I studied my Bachelor of Nursing on campus at uni. I think my HElP debt was $19,000 or $17,000 originally (but I repeated one subject). I graduated in 2007 & yes the bloody textbooks are so expensive especially if you buy them new. There were RN's in my degree at uni who were 45 - 55 years old. You are never to old to study nursing.

I studied my Bachelor of Nursing on campus at uni. I think my HElP debt was $19,000 or $17,000 originally (but I repeated one subject). I graduated in 2007 & yes the bloody textbooks are so expensive especially if you buy them new. There were RN's in my degree at uni who were 45 - 55 years old. You are never to old to study nursing.

thanks smile

There were RN's in my degree at uni who were 45 - 55 years old. You are never to old to study nursing.

Agree 100%. As a mature age student you have different life skills and can bring different qualities to the profession smile
And 35 is not that old smile You can still work for another 20 years!
I'm a clinical exercise physiologist (by field of study) but i teach Human Anatomy 1, Disease Concepts and Bioscience to first and second year internal (on campus) nursing/midwifery/paramedic students at university. We do get a lot of mature age students who have already been working in hospitals in nursing roles, however, they have to return to uni and do a degree because in the old days you didn't need a degree to be a nurse, so we have a lot returning to become RNs - added responsibilities of the job these days. I've had grandmas in my classes! hahaha they're so lovely though! and always have great stories.
Sign in to follow this topic