Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. What do you classify medicating to sleep?

What do you classify medicating to sleep? Lock Rss

I've got sucked into following the debate on Sunrise about medicating kids to sleep unsure

I was always a 'relaxed' controlled cryer when my kids were babies. They have always been great sleepers and I'm starting to see now how lucky we are having 'sleepers' having read what some parents go through (eg stories of kids with Aspergers etc who will only sleep an hour in a 24hr period sad) So even though I personally have never used phernagan or a sedative with my kids, hearing these stories I don't judge people who under medical advice for medical conditions have to use it.

I assumed they were talking about phernagan and sedative type medications when asking this question. But many on the soapbox are saying giving your child panadol or nurofen before bed when they are sick is medicating them to sleep too?!

If my kids are really unwell (like now) I always administer panadol or nurofen as required, to not only help bring the fever down, but to make them comfortable and ease the headaches and body aches. At times when they've had bad ear or throat infections, or stitches from a head wound etc I've used painstop. I wasn't medicating them though for my own benefit ... I only administer medicine when they are in pain ??

What do you classify 'medicating' a child to sleep??
I too don't think pain killers (paracetomol) is medicating to sleep. It is making them comfortable. If I'm really bad I'll take panadol and go to bed.

Sedatives is what I see as "medicating to sleep." at the same time I don't judge people who do it. We travelled overseas and considered it,. Dd1 would wake at 1am every morning as that was awake time in Aus. Nightmare. If my dh wasn't there 24/7 for those days I would have because we all needed sleep.

I personally though have only used a sleeping pill once for myself and it had the reverse effect. Kinda turned me off them!!

I've got sucked into following the debate on Sunrise about medicating kids to sleep unsure

I was always a 'relaxed' controlled cryer when my kids were babies. They have always been great sleepers and I'm starting to see now how lucky we are having 'sleepers' having read what some parents go through (eg stories of kids with Aspergers etc who will only sleep an hour in a 24hr period sad) So even though I personally have never used phernagan or a sedative with my kids, hearing these stories I don't judge people who under medical advice for medical conditions have to use it.

I assumed they were talking about phernagan and sedative type medications when asking this question. But many on the soapbox are saying giving your child panadol or nurofen before bed when they are sick is medicating them to sleep too?!

If my kids are really unwell (like now) I always administer panadol or nurofen as required, to not only help bring the fever down, but to make them comfortable and ease the headaches and body aches. At times when they've had bad ear or throat infections, or stitches from a head wound etc I've used painstop. I wasn't medicating them though for my own benefit ... I only administer medicine when they are in pain ??

What do you classify 'medicating' a child to sleep??

I agree with your post and think that if a child has a medical condition and they cannot sleep then they do need medication.

I do not think giving a child panadol before bed when they are unwell is medicating to sleep - it is ensuring that they are comfortable as more often than not when you have a cold it is worse when you lay down, including headache and ear pain. I have no problem with giving my kids a dose of panadol before bed when they are sick, they get a good nights rest and that helps them get better sooner. I am not giving it to them so I get a good nights rest.
if the debate is about medicating to sleep then they probably aren't talking panadol/nurofen when they are sick. I would assume it would be giving a medication of any kind specifically for the purpose of making a child sleep.
My middle son has trouble getting to sleep at times, so I give him the brauers(sp) sleep and imsomnia relief probably 2-3x week.That gives me the guilts enough

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Ds is now medicatede to sleep.

He is on Vallergan at night, and if he wakes after 2am, he gets a second half dose. I have a script here for Valium liquid, but it remains on my fridge, as I really dont want to give him valium.

This is after 3 years of him not sleeping, many pead visits, neuro visits, dietry changes, natural remedies etc. He would sleep, at best, 3 hours a night.

we held off as long as we could, I didnt see no point in mediating him while his lack of sleep wasnt affecting him, or our lives. I could handle bumming aorund in trackies yawning all day at home every day after rough nights.

Once DD started morning kindy (she done 2 terms of PM kindy, then she got moved to the AM session to prepare her for school) I was finding that some nights I wasnt getting to sleep till 6am and there was no way I could get up at 7 to get her up and ready, so she was having alot of time off kindy. This wasnt acceptable, and couldnt continue once hse started school. It had started affecting our day to day lives.

SO vallergan it is. I dont care what anyone thinks of it, or says, because they arent hte ones with my son, running on no sleep. He still doesnt sleep all night, and wakes at 11pm nearly every night, but he goes back to sleep much easier (before it would be around 6am he would go back to sleep_ and i am back to sleep by 1.30am most nights. he wakes again around 4.30am for about an hour.

now for the best part - i was one of "those" mothers who condemed ppl medication there kids to sleep. i always thought it was laziness, and was so angry at all those mothers who did that when they stopped selling demazin to under 2's..because i thought for sure it was to stop ppl using it as a sedative, and nothing at all to do with anything else.

I went against the advice of many doctors who recommended vallergan from about 11 months of age. I now regret that, as had I of used that back then, he may of been able to retrain his brain easier and get into a better habit, cos i do believe now his night waking is alot to do with habit.

we are waiting for him to get a bit older to do some more indepth brain/sleep sudies. basically, what they think is happening is one side of his brain sleeps while the other remains active - which is why he is alert (i say alert and not awake, as when he wakes at night, its more like an awake period of sleep walkikng/talking rather hten 100% awake like during the day) then he sleeps for abit properly, then the brain swaps side and the other side stays aslepp while the other side remains active.

Thanks for sharing your story Memmi!

See it's cases like yours that I think it is totally warranted. How on earth is your DS supposed to function when only continuously getting 3 hours sleep? particularly when he gets to school age. Kids need rest!

if the debate is about medicating to sleep then they probably aren't talking panadol/nurofen when they are sick.

I thought that too initially. Thus why I didn't even think much of the debate. But nope, people were slamming people for even using nurofen and panadol to help a sick child sleep ... maybe it is technically 'medicating to help them to sleep'? But if its a short term thing while a child is ill I don't see the problem with it?
We went through quite a bit with DD2 and her lack of sleep. It crossed my mind a million times to give her Phenergan for sleep. I didn't do it though because I thought it meant that I was a faliure and a bad mum.

Turns out she needed Phenergan a bit later in her life anyway, from about 2 years old. She is allergic to dogs and when we were trying to figure out what was going on she would be awake all night scratching herself to bits sad . So, when we figured it out, we bought Phenergan to relieve the itching so that she could sleep. Although, it didn't make her sleep a whole lot better, just relieved the itching.

I don't think Panadol and Nurofen count as medicating for sleep though.
although I have never done it ....I see nothing wrong with medicating to sleep !!

these medications were made for child sedation .. when used properly ,it is not a safety issue more a moral one ..and I cant pass judgement one what someone else does to their child if it is legal !!

I have a bad sleeper ..we have employed a child sleep expert and I have read every book under the sun and have still not gone down the child sedation parth ...she is not really all that bad anymore ..she is two now and will still wake twice a night ,quick snuggle and she is put back in bed no problems so no need for sedation in my house in my opinion !!

I think if you have read up about it and make an informed decision about giving a medication to your child for the sole porpose of making them sleep then I think that is great if it works for you ...

Live and let live I say smile lol lol

oh and when my kids were wee little babies and would cry for no given reason I would give them a dose of panadol ....it was just another box we would tick !! ..

nappy ...nope
hungry ...nope
pain ...yep ...arrrrhhhh sleep !! lol lol lol

I think there's a difference between parents who've tried everything and then get proper advice about administering sleep medication to an older child (not a baby) to those parents who just give phenergan or similar because it's more convenient for their baby to sleep when the parent wants them to. I don't think panadol/nurofen would be regarded as medicating to sleep because as others have said, neither of those things induce sleep. Although many times I think they are given a little too freely when a child isn't sleeping and parents just don't know what else to do so they give it 'just in case'
Sign in to follow this topic