Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Anybody out there able to explain something about the bible ??

Anybody out there able to explain something about the bible ?? Rss

I know religion can be a tough issue when we all have diffrent beliefs ...so I will make you a deal ?? if you respect my beliefs I will respect yours ...and if you can help please do but if you cant then can we try to keep it civil cause I am really searcing for answers here smile

I had a visit from the JW's yesterday and I cant stop thinking about it ...I dont know if they just had the gift of the gab or what but geese they were making sence !!

they were saying things like "god never promised anyone heaven ...he made earth perfect and it was Adam and Eve who distroyed that for mankind ...they were saying things like the 'Our Father " prayer ....in that it says "on earth as it is in heaven " ...they were saying that the 1400 or what ever it is will go to heaven and then the rest of us will be returned to a sleep state and our bodys turned to dust ..they then showed me a bible passage that I am familiar with but never thought about much before ...it said the meak will enherrit the earth ??? ...

So I am catholic and I have always belived that if your good you go to heaven and bad go to hell ...follow the 10 commandments and your a shoe in for a room with a window !! lol lol ....but these woman have really got me thinking ...I dont have a really strong faith ...i dont go to church and I dont really live a christian life ..I smoke and swear and curse adn all that stuff you shouldnt do if you were to be a devoted christian !! lol lol lol ...but I just cant get this out of my head !!

Do they have a diffrent bible to the one I have been taught to read and the one that was used during my 12 years of Catholic education ??? I know they believe jesus is Javoah or something like that ...but is this just their interpretation or have i just got it wrong all these years ???

No I dont think you got it wrong. The bible is how you interpret it. Thats why there are so many different religions, there is no "right" one.
1400!!!!! Well we all might as well give up right now lol. I'm like u and am not very religious however I have always been told and believe it's what's in your heart that counts and god loves us all as he did not make us perfect and Jesus died to give us a second chance and so forth. I've had the same thing happen to me and had jw's confuse me too and I started to question things. A few friends of mine who are devoted Christians cleared things up for me by telling me that god didn't make us perfect but created us as all he wanted was to have a relationship with us and he has a plan and purpose for each and every one of us. Kinda made me feel better so hope it does the same for u xo

hi. I'm a christian (often called a 'evangelical christian'). Don't know exactly what your asking but...

Firstly i need to say- that although lots of people interpret the bible differently i still believe there can only be one truth.

The JW bible is very similar to what the catholic bible is- but they have changed several passages in it.

I don't agree with JW's - for a few reasons-a main one being that they don't believe that the bible teaches that Jesus is God, i do. They also don't beleive that Jesus died to save us (only 144,00). I believe ALL who trust Jesus will go to heaven. there are several other problems i have with them.

basically i believe- like you, that if you are "bad" you deserve hell all "bad" things need to be punished. the main difference i have with the catholic church is that i beleive that although people deserve hell, Jesus came and Died FOR us.
We don't go to heaven if we are "good" (the bible says everyone has done wrong things- which i think you know:) ) We go to heaven if Jesus died(suffered hell) instead of us.
We need to beleive that Jesus can die(suffer hell) for us, say sorry for the wrong things we do and love him for what he's done.

i suggest you ask God to help you understand the Bible, and read it. i'm open to more questions too. smile
It's a tough one... there are so many different theories.

I was brought up as part of a christian church that I am no longer a part of. It didn't have a name but was extremely strict with dress code and what we were and were not allowed to do with our social life.

Their theory was that nobody should believe they will be going to heaven. That we have to rely on gods mercy to ever have a hope of getting there. They liked to quote things like "it is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven" as a bit of a scare tactic for anyone who might have money.

However I did some research of my own... and I came to this conclusion; it says all through the bible that Jesus died to save us. It says all through the bible that if you believe you will be saved. Who am I to say that a man who was tortured and hung to die on a cross did not do enough to get me into heaven? The REASON he died was for me to be saved. Is that not enough????

I believe that the meek inherit the earth bit means here and now, while we are alive. For me I do believe that being a good person and having morals/values and doing the right thing does get you far in life.

A lot of churches still use the old testament as a way of following god... however in old testament times Jesus had not come yet. Jesus came to show people how to live, so I read with interest the old testament, but I will read the new testament from Matthew onwards as guidance on how things should be.

For me my favourite chapter is Matthew 15. I don't attend church or belong to any group. I will always believe in God. But... Matthew 15 quotes Jesus words... and he calls people fools for following mens tradition and then calling it gods work. He says that these people serve god in vain.

Therefore I do believe that belonging to ANY group is going to have its downfalls. They are all man made, therefore they will have faults as no man is perfect. They all have rules made by men. I think that if you live a good moral life, you are honest and kind to others, you believe in god.... how can that be wrong? I do not believe that belonging to a certain group is going to get me to heaven!

Sorry... I kind of just blurted all that out and it probably doesn't have anything to do with what you are asking but I feel better!!! lol I've had a LOT of flack to deal with leaving this group of people so it's something I've put a lot of thought into and feel very strongly about.

Hope you find your answer. some thing's we'll never know - and I figure that if god wanted us to know he would've told us.

mmm Chalys .....I think your the chick I need to have a chat with !! lol lol lol

they really baffled me and were saying things like ..god never promised heaven ...that was saten who said that ....they were saying things like ...god created earth perfect and the 14400 or how ever many the number is that are going to heaven are gods disiples and his priests ..and the rest will rise again when jesus does ...that is how they were explaining "the meak shall inherrit the earth"

I honestly have not stopped thinking about it since they left ...i feel that they were really making sence and that I have been wrong my whole life ...but then a few paragraphs from Chalys and I am back on track again happy to be a "christian " ....guees I really need to find some answers for myself ..

It is all really the interpretation. The bible is subject to human scrutiny so it in a lot of cases makes it flawed.

If you think about text messages you can send a text message to 5 people talking about a bad experience you had and there will bew at least one interpretation that will be different.

Also the bible was not always written, it was told orally and then when able it was put down on paper. This is a bit like chinese whispers to me each person adds their own flavour.

So really for each of us it is the interpretation that sits right with us.

I was brought up in a pentecostal household and my dad was a pastor, they have moved away from the church and I have come to a decision that doesnt include being part of a church and is not a traditional 'christian' belief system, mainly because I have not found anything wiothin the relms of church that feels right to me.

Can you expand on what you were saying about the Our Father prayer. I was just wondering why the sentnce is so signifigant to them, you may have already said... I could have missed the point...

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Thats why i dont let them in wink

Thats why i dont let them in wink

yeah lesson learnt here aswell ....completely put my head into a spin ..I should have just said "thanks very much but not today " lol lol lol ...

Can you expand on what you were saying about the Our Father prayer. I was just wondering why the sentnce is so signifigant to them, you may have already said... I could have missed the point...

they were saying that even the "our father" preyer indicates that we wont go to heaven,rather we will go into a sleep state and our bodies return to dust and ashes (she showed me where this was written in the bible)

she was saying that the "our father" says this when it says " Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name they kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven " meaning that when he (jesus) rises again earth will be as heaven ...the way God intended it to be when he created Adam and Eve !!

I am sorry I am not making much sence sad ...if only I could get out in my fingers what is spinning in my head !! lol lol

I think the lords prayer in that part is saying that we should want what God wants (gods will) here and now.

From what i can gather (and i'll stand corrected) the JW's don't beleive we are spiritual beings, thats why what they beleive is so focused on an 'earthly kingdom' They also don't beleive Jesus is a spiritual being.

I aggree with chalys, EVERY group has its problems, 'cos none of us are perfect. but God knows the truth and if we TRY to do and live the way God wants, and beleive what he says in the bible We will understand HIS truth more and more. Once we get to heaven we'll know it all smile

Its great that you are asking these questions, We all should be questioning the 'groups' we originate in and look to God and the Bible for answers instead!

I don't agree with JW's - for a few reasons-a main one being that they don't believe that the bible teaches that Jesus is God, i do. They also don't beleive that Jesus died to save us (only 144,00). I believe ALL who trust Jesus will go to heaven. there are several other problems i have with them.

I totally agree with what Pennys2011 said. They also don't believe hell exists, which is why they go into a sleeping state! This is incorrect! Hell does exist and this is the biggest lie from the enemy! My neighbor is a JW and she said she wanted to have her kids later in life because it meant they would be eternal. Hmmm .. interesting statement. Anyway.. As suggested i'd definitely encourage you to seek God for answers. Personally I don't believe in what JW's believe. I'm a christian (relationship with God) i dont belong to a faith eg. catholic/orthodox etc smile Bless ya x
Sign in to follow this topic