Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Moving a young family to Melbourne

Moving a young family to Melbourne Lock Rss

Hi all

I recently posted a question here regarding moving a young family from Sydney to Melbourne. We are considering this due to a potential job opportunity for my husband. I received some really helpful responses which has definitely assisted with my decision making process and making me feel a little more comfortable about the relocation.

While my husband is yet to secure the job, it is looking very promising and if he does get it, we will need to move quickly and find a place to rent (preferably a house or town house). As such we are doing some preliminary research into living in Melbourne so that we are a little better prepared should the time come.

We are a family of four with 2 young children (18mths & 3yrs) therefore looking at family oriented suburbs with good day care facilities, primary schools, parks, public transport, community centres etc. While we don’t want to live 5mins from the CBD, we’d prefer not to travel over 40mins (by train) to get to the CBD. My husband would be working in Southbank. We currently live in Sydney’s Inner West (10 mins from the CBD) where there is always a buzz and busy feel , so I guess while we don’t want to be too close to the city, we also don’t want to be anywhere too secluded.

We’ve looked on a website called cityhobo.com which profiles Melbourne suburbs and like the sound of Kensington, Box Hill, Caulfield, Elsternwick, Sandringham, Fairfield, North Fitzroy. More broadly we’re thinking South and South East, Inner North and North East. The above suburbs/areas is purely based on internet research and speaking to 1 friend (without kids) who lives in Melbourne.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you may have on suburbs/areas that fit what we’re looking for and any day care facilities and schools you regard highly in these areas.

While there is much information on the internet, personal experience/advice from other mums and dads is worth so much more.

Thank you so much for your help.
Michelle

Hi all

I recently posted a question here regarding moving a young family from Sydney to Melbourne. We are considering this due to a potential job opportunity for my husband. I received some really helpful responses which has definitely assisted with my decision making process and making me feel a little more comfortable about the relocation.

While my husband is yet to secure the job, it is looking very promising and if he does get it, we will need to move quickly and find a place to rent (preferably a house or town house). As such we are doing some preliminary research into living in Melbourne so that we are a little better prepared should the time come.

We are a family of four with 2 young children (18mths & 3yrs) therefore looking at family oriented suburbs with good day care facilities, primary schools, parks, public transport, community centres etc. While we don’t want to live 5mins from the CBD, we’d prefer not to travel over 40mins (by train) to get to the CBD. My husband would be working in Southbank. We currently live in Sydney’s Inner West (10 mins from the CBD) where there is always a buzz and busy feel , so I guess while we don’t want to be too close to the city, we also don’t want to be anywhere too secluded.

We’ve looked on a website called cityhobo.com which profiles Melbourne suburbs and like the sound of Kensington, Box Hill, Caulfield, Elsternwick, Sandringham, Fairfield, North Fitzroy. More broadly we’re thinking South and South East, Inner North and North East. The above suburbs/areas is purely based on internet research and speaking to 1 friend (without kids) who lives in Melbourne.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you may have on suburbs/areas that fit what we’re looking for and any day care facilities and schools you regard highly in these areas.

While there is much information on the internet, personal experience/advice from other mums and dads is worth so much more.

Thank you so much for your help.
Michelle

I woulnt say kensington it has a bit of a red, Sunbury is nice its 30 mins from CDB 15 mins from the airport its a nice countryish town just dont go to the goonawarra part and u will be fine! also Bacchus marsh Ive been told and I hope as Im moving there next week lol
Sign in to follow this topic