Huggies Forum

How long have you waited Lock Rss

My OB is always on time if i have to wait its like 5 mins if that.

But my GP i usually have to wait 1-2 hours cause he takes in emergencey but i dont mind cause he has taken me in a few times.
I go to the doctor because i like to ask him question. Plus i had to get my results from a blood test that i had done to do with my iron levels.
MIL reckons it getting worse.

OMG this is shocking! I can't believe you all have waited that long for actual scheduled appointments! I have never waited longer than 10 or 15 minutes. Even if I've been to the walk-in clinic I haven't usually waited much longer than 30-40 minutes, except on probably two occasions but even then the wait wasn't too unreasonable given the circumstances.

Sounds like you all need to find new doctors!
The surgery I go to, well lets just say the so called receptionists have been ordered to triple or quadruble book appointment times.

I arked up once about having to wait an hour past my appt time! Then they got shirty with me! Uh sorry but if my appt time is say 10am i expect to be seen then!

Needless to say I have lodged a few complaints.

If your doctor has a clinic attached (sounds like they do if they have nurses) then they also have a system where people that can't get an appointment will go see the nurse. If they need medication or a doctors review then they HAVE to be slotted in to see a doctor.

Personally I'm very thankful to have this system. It means that if I'm really sick I can still see a doctor even though it puts them behind. It prevents people turning up at accident and emergency when they just need a script for antibiotics. It still happens - they turn up there for things like that..... even though the sign says "accident" and "emergency" they don't seem to comprehend what this means. Hense our hospital system is also clagged up with people waiting for hours.

If some select people that didn't actually need to see a doctor called the health direct line for advice instead of making people that really need to see a doctor wait it would be a lot better!

Also.... immunisations can be given by a nurse or a midwife. You don't need to see a doctor for that. Get the resource right and you safe yourself and others time.

Don't complain about our system..... it is under HUGE stress and it's not the fault of the people working in it. Try working at any of those places... it's a highly stressful environment and people that have to wait become VERY demanding - even though there's nothing that can be done about it. You can thank our government for all of the delays as they wont employ enough nurses and doctors even though there are plenty available to work.

I think a lot of the Dr's are 'over run' with people who don't need to be there. People who only have a cold or something that they can't get anything from the Dr for it anyway. I think that people need to use common sense, if you know you've got a cold and don't really have the symptoms that require antibiotics etc, then don't go to the Dr.

Drs are such a pain for naking people wait. I am very lucky my GP always runs on time but have waited up to an hour for nurses for the boys immunisations and my OB was ALWAYS running behind, usually half an hour to an hour but once waitef 2.5 hours!

I don't understand the anger. Of course obs are often late, they are delivering babies, in between their appointments, which arrive when THEY are ready.... not to a schedule. How could this be avoided??

As with GP's. They squeeze in 'urgent'cases...especially involving bubs and children. I'm sure if your child needed to be seen that day, you wouldn't want to be told there is no appintments till the following week. I'm sure if your little one may need antibiotics for a chest infection, you would want to be seen that same day??? Be thankful for our health services. We are very fortunate to have medicare, bulk billing and free public hospitals.

Eve75

I don't understand the anger. Of course obs are often late, they are delivering babies, in between their appointments, which arrive when THEY are ready.... not to a schedule. How could this be avoided??

As with GP's. They squeeze in 'urgent'cases...especially involving bubs and children. I'm sure if your child needed to be seen that day, you wouldn't want to be told there is no appintments till the following week. I'm sure if your little one may need antibiotics for a chest infection, you would want to be seen that same day??? Be thankful for our health services. We are very fortunate to have medicare, bulk billing and free public hospitals.

I can see where you are coming from..... however when one has been waiting in a room full of sick people with poorly children for what seems like an eternity, and sometimes often is, you don't tend to remind yourself politely of what you have just written. I know I don't. tongue

4 hours to see the OB when pregnant.My gp often is running 30-45 minutes behind schedule but I always call before I go.My kids are bulk billed ,I pay $65 for the gp but get back about $30 from medicare

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Usually wait for 1 hour, they won't accept you if you ring up you are still expected to be there whenever your appointment time states, however when i have had appointment for the kids when they are sick if they have a temp usually get in really fast and if not the nurse there will come and check their temps and keep an eye on you while you wait

When i was pregnant with my first we had to go to the royal womens hospital (just over an hours drive), ultrasound at 11 i think and appointment at 1, got in within 20 mins for ultrasound, went for a little walk and lunch after that and then went and waited for our 1 o'clock appointment and waited and waited i think it got to about 4 o'clock and we asked what was going on they said there was a big delay and we could make a new appointment and come back another day if we liked, i nearlly burst into tears i was about 36-37 weeks pregnant and had sat there all day in an uncomftable chair, we decided to wait and got seen about 5 o'clock it was horrible, then we had to see a pediatric surgeon and they were going to make us come back another day but the lovely receptionist spoke to him and seen if he could squish us in before he left and thank god he did i think we got home about 7 o'clock (and it was birthday that day too and it sucked LOL)
i waited 3 hours to see dr at clinic normal wait 10 min max but i wait cause i didn't want to go out in to the cold

my normal gp depends on hte appoint ment type if it in the emergancy slot then could be couple hours wait if normal apoinment then hour max we have a script clinc one dr from practice spend two hour just doing apointment for script it is so handy
Just wanted to update we had a appoitment yesterday for little man needles. This time it was a hour late which is fine because i only arrived 15 minutes before i was seen. But my poor SIL was waiting nearly 2 hours. She wasn't to happy because both her and her DD are sick but she was happy to see her nephew.

I glad i rang yesterday before i went in and the fact the traffic in town was busy help me.

Sign in to follow this topic