Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Does anyone have people they know like this?

Does anyone have people they know like this? Lock Rss

i think im just over thinking it but man in know a few and honestly its just really annoying like im really nice person like to nice i forgive people to easily lately im growing on not too. but like i have pictures of my DS and i get excited about his developments like any new mum but all the mums before me are like " oh my son or daughter did that like way before so and so" almost like its a competition with everything. ahh its so tiring like i actually love hearing their stories but i hear it every time like a broken record but the way they just talk about it.

am i exaggerating * dont know how to spell it lol* this or no??
I havent had my bubby yet but I read it on friends FB status' one will be like "omg I cant belive my little man did .... for the first time and only XXX months old" then a post or 2 down somone is like "yeh mines being doing that since XXX months old" big wop I think everyone is excited about their childs devlopment let them have their moment

I havent had my bubby yet but I read it on friends FB status' one will be like "omg I cant belive my little man did .... for the first time and only XXX months old" then a post or 2 down somone is like "yeh mines being doing that since XXX months old" big wop I think everyone is excited about their childs devlopment let them have their moment

yeah thats what i did my sons just tried crawling and like being a first time mum like i go crazy and get soo excited and then some silly person is like exactly what you've just said :/ im polite so ill just be really excited for how quick they learn in such amount of time.

Its just too easy to get excited as a parent.
More often than not the parents don't mean actual harm they are just so excited at what their baby's did at what time.

i guess it just seemed more of a competition that theyre child is a quick learner, and im happy that they are too smile
yes i do and i find sometimes that i 'dumb' down my kids achievements cos i dont want anyone to think i am bragging. i kick myself after i have done it cos i should be bragging. my kids are awesome. just like other mums should be able to brag about their kids without getting slammed cos their kids are awesome in their eyes too.

why cant we just say, wow that is great, well done?
I know, I hate the whole competitive thing!

My DD didn't walk until 17 months, so it was on the late side but not in a majorly worrying way. She was breech and they generally do walk later. But, I meet up with a particular group of people every month (sometimes more often) and *every* month from 12 months onward they would be like "is she walking yet? No? She's really late!" I mean, WTF? I am the sort of person who is not too worried by what others think but someone who was worried would probably be driving themselves nuts. In fact they might even be going to unnecessary medical appointments trying to get answers, when none are needed!

Anyway, I do think it depends on the way in which it's said - perhaps not everyone is trying to be competitive, but if not then they're often just being insensitive and that's just as bad! If it's said in a coffee group, for example, where everyone is discussing their child's developments, then maybe making comments like this isn't quite so bad. But to actually respond to someone else's FB post with YOUR child's achievements is just plain bad manners!

yes i do and i find sometimes that i 'dumb' down my kids achievements cos i dont want anyone to think i am bragging. i kick myself after i have done it cos i should be bragging. my kids are awesome. just like other mums should be able to brag about their kids without getting slammed cos their kids are awesome in their eyes too.

why cant we just say, wow that is great, well done?

i totally agree i love the fact that children from such a small age can even achieve or even grow to even learn the things they do in such amount of time is awesome.

its always everything though not just our children. but i just let it go, honeslty i can never talk about my child or anything without 'me me me me' :/

My DD didn't walk until 17 months, so it was on the late side but not in a majorly worrying way. She was breech and they generally do walk later. But, I meet up with a particular group of people every month (sometimes more often) and *every* month from 12 months onward they would be like "is she walking yet? No? She's really late!" I mean, WTF? I am the sort of person who is not too worried by what others think but someone who was worried would probably be driving themselves nuts. In fact they might even be going to unnecessary medical appointments trying to get answers, when none are needed!

Anyway, I do think it depends on the way in which it's said - perhaps not everyone is trying to be competitive, but if not then they're often just being insensitive and that's just as bad! If it's said in a coffee group, for example, where everyone is discussing their child's developments, then maybe making comments like this isn't quite so bad. But to actually respond to someone else's FB post with YOUR child's achievements is just plain bad manners!

yeah like theyre really judgemental almost like they know everything me too i think children will find their ow way and will eventually suceed even if its not as soon as expected, oe every child would be the exact same it wouldnt make them unique like they are

thanks eveyone for the chats smile
Thats the one thing i was determined to do when having kids- not be the competitive "my kids better/ smarter/ developmental more advanced than yours" type. And can safely say that i have stuck to it. I dont even post my ds's updates on fb, I just tell my close friends and family when he does cute things/reaches milestones. I usually just post a few cute pics of him and thats about it! I have some people on my fb that's ALL they post about.

Hey, in my mothers group there was a few mums who's bubs didnt walk until after 12 months, i used to tell them not to worry because when a child walks has NOTHING to do with intelligence at all, and 17 months isnt late. Its not too uncommon for bubs to start walking in the 15-18 month bracket anyways. My cousins bub didnt start walking until after her 2nd birthday.

Sign in to follow this topic