Huggies Forum

Having trouble getting a rental Lock Rss

Im so frustrated about this. I am better off financially now as a single than i was when in a relationship. My ex couldnt keep a job and contributed f all towards anything. Now I have left him and im trying to find a place to rent on my own with 2 kids and it seems like no one wants to rent to me. I have references, support from my family, and can afford it. Its driving me crazy because i know how it would look to a landlord but if only they knew! Argh...

Anyone have tips on giving myself more of a look in? I currently have an 'About us' sheet that i put in with all my applications with a photo of us and a little speil about us...
Get to know the property managers when you view homes, talk to them about what you need ask if there is anything coming up soon, let them know when you can move in. When a property manager can know more about you personally apart from the basics that is on an application it goes in your favour. We are currently in the home we are in because we got to know the PM at a couple of viewings, Infact the applications for this particular home had closed but none of the applicants were suitable and he requested we look at this place and if we liked it, it was ours.

Get to know the property managers when you view homes, talk to them about what you need ask if there is anything coming up soon, let them know when you can move in. When a property manager can know more about you personally apart from the basics that is on an application it goes in your favour. We are currently in the home we are in because we got to know the PM at a couple of viewings, Infact the applications for this particular home had closed but none of the applicants were suitable and he requested we look at this place and if we liked it, it was ours.

I agree with Ness, take the time to have a talk to the property managers when viewing property that way if they have any concerns about you based being a single mum you can beat the stereotype by showing them it is not who you are.

I'm not sure where you live but the rental market seems to be a little crazy atm and everyone is struggling to find places so it may not be anything personal.

I haven;t ever had an issue getting rentals as a single mum, infact i beat out a professional couple who during the viewing made it very clear they were very comfortale money wise to get the house I am in now.
A centrelink payment is the most reliable form of income around you cant get fired from centrelink tongue

Thanks guys i will really try to do that, its just sometimes hard when theres a lot of people. I think you are right that it may not be personal, its just hard not to take it personal when you get rejected sad bit like a job interview i guess, you can feel really disheartened by it!

I think the problem is that a lot of them are just out of my price range so im having to jump on all the cheap ones when they pop up, so im competing with everyone else doing exactly the same thing, the prices where i live are ridiculous...

And i thought the same about the centrelink income!

Oh well i guess the more i go and look at the better i will get to know the property managers anyway
It's not just you! I know a couple that sold their house in Sydney and wanted to rent on the coast for 6mths/1yr so they could feel comfortable with the area and take their time before buying another house (not that they told the real estate that lol). In their early 30's, he earns really good money, she's a sahm with a baby so one would think stable and more than able to meet their commitments. They kept getting knockbacks and actually started writing on their applications that they would pay 2mths in advance, she got so disheartened they ended up buying.

I know that's not helpful at all but i just wanted to reitterate that it's not just you, the rental market blows, but like Ness said, try to develop a repoire with the property managers they have a huge input into the owners choice of renters. Chin up, keep smiling, you'll find something soon. GL xx

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

That does make me feel a bit better thanks, was just starting to think i am never going to find anything. But it hasnt really been that long i guess something will have to come up eventually. Im just really lucky i have somewhere to stay! Not sure what i'd do if i didnt!
I don't think it is because you are a single mum. Property managers have told me they like single mums because they are a steady income source. I agree with the others that you should get to know the property managers and go to each open for inspection with your kids all gussied up so they can see you take care of yourself and by implication your home.

Another thing is to get the application ahead of time, fill it in and take it along to the inspection ready to give to them with all the copies and documentation like references and rent ledgers. If you like the place you can then put it in straight away. Some property agents don't want to go to the bother of processing multiple applications so if yours is the first one they get- good and ready to go then you are much more likely to get it. Good luck!
It isn't just single mums. We ended up renting a tiny shoe box from family because we couldn't get into anywhere else and need accommodation. Some of the experience we have had before we had kids was shocking! And we were on 2 great incomes!

Try private rentals if they have them in your area, they are usually more personal and accommodating.

I hope you find something shortly.

We have been looking since november last year we only just got somthing and moving this weekend as the housing market is horrid atm. its really hard hubby works and I was woking for alot of the serch and we still couldnt get anything we did 50 + applications
It's hard for everyone at the moment, it took DH and i almost 5mths of applying to finally get lucky.
You do start to wonder why/ some places were half the rent we are currently paying and we still got knocked back.
Just hang in there, something will turn up that will be right for you.
Sign in to follow this topic