Huggies Forum

Preparing for first baby Lock Rss

I am expecting my first baby grin and I am trying to get the nursery prepared. I was just wondering if anyone can suggest the top 10 things they found really useful during pregnancy and after. As this is my first, I have found it a little confusing and daunting huh with so many different products on the market and what products are safe etc. I have only just learnt of the importance of BPA free products for example. gasp Are there any other products that I should be wary of? unsure
Good question! Some things that I wouldn't be without are:
Avent bath & room thermometer
Phil & Teds Me Too Chair
Smart Swaddle Muslin Sleep Wraps
Merino Kids Gogo Bag

Things I've bought and never used or found to be useless:
Sangenic Nappy Disposal Unit (expensive in the long run)
Safe T Sleep (although some mums love them)
Sleep Wedge

It's pretty hit and miss because there is a lot of baby stuff out there and a lot of it is not really necessary.

Good luck! smile
wow - this got me thinking....probably more tops list for bebe/post pregnancy

Baby bjorn or similar carrier - really useful for when the pram is too cumbersome; baby needs to be settled or you need to move around and also need your hands

sleeping bag - I used Living Textiles brand - my ds was a blanket thrower-offer and this ensured he was comfortable through the night and I did not worry about him getting cold - better sleep for all!

travel cot - with bassinette top. I also had this set up in the loungeroom and I could use it as a changetable or to put baby in safely

safe and sound sleeper - used it instead of a bassinette in the early days as it can be used in the cot, on the lounge or anywhere - and it can also be used safely during the times baby needs to be in bed with you or travel when baby is too small for a travel cot

muslin wraps - used these also to cover the pram when we were out from flies/sun etc

change table - many think they can do without it, having something at the correct height so that you are not bending over a bed or lounge is soooo much easier

Tommee Tippee nappy disposal unit - hit and miss with this one - I thought it useful, but really only used it for a few months now I think about it, but certainly appreciated it at the time!

Boomerang Pillow - great support for me while pregnant, then for feeding, then for resting baby in it while on the floor

Mirror that could be attached to the headrest above the baby capsule so you can look in the rear vision mirror and check the baby, and then it connects to the back of the passenger seat once ds was in a carseat - he still plays funny faces in it!

things that were a waste -

Jolly Jumper and stand - ds hated it and it took up too much room

Rocking chair in the nursery - waste of space, then and now! But, I did not breast-feed...

mobile that hung above the cot - only played music (but looked great and matched the nursery!!) - he much preferred his
Fisher Price ocean wonders aquarium that fitted to the side of his cot - lights and sound

c

ceecee

i dont have any specific things to recomend but i'd look at a travel system i'm going to get one next time so that covers pram and carseat
a decent high chair or booster
ds loved his
baby bouncer/rocker
play gym mat

things i have but dont like/never used
the baby baths with the sling net thing
a sleep wedge

cant think of anything else atm smile

I am expecting my first baby grin and I am trying to get the nursery prepared. I was just wondering if anyone can suggest the top 10 things they found really useful during pregnancy and after. As this is my first, I have found it a little confusing and daunting huh with so many different products on the market and what products are safe etc. I have only just learnt of the importance of BPA free products for example. gasp Are there any other products that I should be wary of? unsure

I'm a less is more person. There is so much baby stuff you can buy and most of it is completely uncessary and stuff you will only use for a very short time and never get your money back on.

Essentials

Car seat - go for the highest safety rating that goes from rear to forward facing

Clothes - but not too many, they grow so fast. If you have nice outfits then dress them in them, dont save them for good - if you do then they will have outgrown them.

Bed for baby - we went straight to a cot, bassinettes are cute but you only use them for 3 months.

Pram - think past the first six months, you dont need a deluxe pram - your baby wont be laying down forever and then once they are sitting up a smaller and much easier to use stroller is a better bet. Most have a layback feature so baby can still sleep in it. You soon get sick of a big bulky pram that is hard to put up and down and get into the boot of the car, not to mention navigate around the shops.

Change table - probably the most used thing we got, a bazillion nappy changes so it was great, really saves your back.
Wraps - if a summer baby get muslin, if a winter then fleece or wool.

Nappies - buy as you go, no point stocking up on newborn nappies when you dont know how big your baby will be, some outgrow the newborn size after 1 month.

Wipes

We all have this urge to buy everything before baby is born but the thing is... the shops are always there, if you need something after baby is born you can go get it...no need to think of everything you could possibly need and get it now.

i dont have any specific things to recomend but i'd look at a travel system i'm going to get one next time so that covers pram and carseat
a decent high chair or booster
ds loved his
baby bouncer/rocker
play gym mat

things i have but dont like/never used
the baby baths with the sling net thing
a sleep wedge

cant think of anything else atm smile

Agree with the travel system - we hired the pram and carrier -very cost effective.

ceecee

I tend to think most baby stuff is just gimmicky, expensive and completely unnecessary.
Totally agree with the wraps, they're a must-have imo.
A sling or wrap to wear your babe.
A few sets of season specific clothes. (onesie suits are good for day and night and short suits are good for underclothes in cold weather too)
Cot or basinet - as pp mentioned, it depends on your babe as to how much use you'll get out of a basinet, but if you've got limited space in your room they can be very useful. My last two were in theirs until around
6mths.
Nappy rash cream - just be aware of petroleum based creams. Can recommend this one <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
Really useful things:
(Cot and carseat are a given)

*Change table - such a back saver, only just stopped using with DS 2.9yrs

*Booster seat with tray (as a high chair) once I got this I done away with the high chair, so bulky and a pain in the butt to clean. This just tucks away under the table as it straps to the chair. Still using it now

*Jolly Jumper - DS loooooved his. My god he would spend hours in it if he could have lol. I guess it depends on the baby, but they aren't that expensive so worth a shot I reckon

*Good pillow for breastfeeding if you plan to. Used it the whole time I breastfed (11mths)

*Wipes are good to stock up on, but be cautious some babies bums have reactions to some brands. DS for some reason would get a rash from Huggies unscented wipes (which i stocked up on) but I found the Curash ones great. Each baby is different

Wasteful things:

*Bassinet, got given one but DS used it for 5wks. I wouldn't worry about one unless you get given it

*Heavy pram! Honestly, don't worry about buying a big reversable pram as they end up being a pain in the butt. For the next bub ive just bought a Baby Jogger City Mini and I love it. Unless you plan to jog, strollers don't have issues on concrete and the odd grassy area

*Newborn size nappies, someone mentioned before about them. DS was 8pound 7 and he was out of them in a week and into the infant size. Ended up giving a box away. You can always run out and buy them if you have a small newborn, i'd stock up on the infant size

*Tiny cute newborn 0000 outfits. Again alot of babies grow out of them really quickly (DS in a week, he was long as well)

So many other things you can buy, alot of it is un-necesscary. Honestly if you really need a certain product you can always get it after the baby is born. As long as you have the essentials you will be more than right.

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

I don't have a list but I just wanted to say one of the best things i bought was a pack of toweling cloth nappies, the old fashioned square ones. They are great to use as burping cloths and to clean up any baby vomit, dribble, wee and poo that may escape.

First we had Each Other, Then we had You, Now we have Everything

My top 10 things would be:

1. Breast pads and nipple cream are essential if you are going to breastfeed
2. A baby sling or baby carrier
3. Lots of big muslin or flannel wraps
4. Singlet suits - much better than regular singlets which always ride up and seem so uncomfortable
5. A night light for the nursery
6. A sheepskin rug to lie bub on
7. Jolly jumper (you dont need a stand just hang in doorway)
8. A first aid kit of baby panadol, bonjela etc
9. Cloth nappies for mopping up mess
10. A few changes of cot linen as it often gets wet thru/spewed on

Good luck smile

Congratulations! Sorry about the long answer but was trying to give as much detail as possible to help you mellow
After 3 kids we have a great setup now..

*1-Cot - bassinette is optional extra - only had one for #3 as #2 was still using cot

*2-Travel system compatible capsule - cost effective if having more than one child especially (didnt have a capsule with my first but did with next 2, very handy when out and about). If not, get a convertible car seat. A carseat/convertible carseat is better than a larger carseat/booster seat style (eg Maxirider) one for under 2's as they recline more and look cosier. If you are planning more than 1 child, #1 can move into a maxirider when #2 needs the carseat.

*3-Travel system compatible pram - I have the Phil & Teds Sports. Expensive to start with but can be used with 1 child or 2 (with optional toddler seat) and with capsule (can also put toddler seat under with capsule on top for #2 - avoids the awkward baby/toddler mode which puts lots of people off). Also has one one the biggest weight limits I know of giving you years of use (25kgs in main seat, 15kg in booster - can easily take my 6 yr old and 2 yr old). I also have a Steelcraft profile stroller which takes my capsule - great stroller but doesnt get much use now we have 2 under 2. Beware of space your pram takes up in car boot -if you have a little car an 'umbrella'fold pram like the profile is best, basket space for shopping, accessories (sunshades etc that you might want)

*4-Good bouncer that lays flat for newborn and upright for older - might cost a little extra but will get heaps more use. (#3 has the lazy ted attatchment that turns the Phil & Ted toddler seat into a bouncer - its awesome - use with both my newborn and with my 22mth old as a seat - extra way to get more use from your Phil & Teds and pulls apart so can be kept in car with pram for travel and visits). If you get a good bouncer you might get away with moving from it to a booster chair (skipping the bulky and expensive highchair).

*5-Steriliser that fits the brand of bottles you've selected.

*6-Wraps-Muslim for summer bub. I loved the 'Minko' stretchy wraps from Target.

*7-Monitor- Especially good if bubs room isnt near yours. Breathing/sound monitor like Angelcare good for extra reassurance.

*8-Cot Music - we also have the Fisher Price Aquarium and have used it with all 3 kids. They have all loved it. We take it with us when we go away and it is something familiar and comforting in a strange bed/room.

*9-Ergo baby carrier and Heart-to-heart infant insert - very comfortable to use. At moment use with newborn on front or 22mth old on back. H-2-H much easier to use than original infant.

*10-Car window shades (with SPF if possible)- to keep sun off babys delicate skin and glare out of eyes

NB Dont get sucked into an expensive travel system combo - make sure you love the pram as you will use it long after you stop using capsule. My Fisher Price capsule-made by Britax fits the Steelcraft Profile and the Phil & Teds TS13 adaptor (both made for the Unity capsule, also made by Britax). If you look around, you can mix and match a bit.

GOOD LUCK!!! grin
Also, work out what toiletries you want for bub and buy something everytime you're out - they cost alot if all brought at the same time. tongue

Eg From supermarket - shampoo, nappy rash cream(1 for home, 1 for nappy bag), breast pads, wipes, nappies, nail clippers, dummies and case (if using), disposable changemats, nappy sacks, Formula container...

From Chemist - QV wash is great for bath, QV moisturiser, Nipple cream if breast feeding (1 for home, 1 for bag), Lucas pawpaw is a good allrounder (dribble rash, nappy rash etc), nose aspirator and saline drops (for blocked nose)...

Also Infant panadol (although not reccommended for use until 1mth old, have in cupboard or that first temp will definately peak at midnight when shops are closed) sad

Also a good baby bag - should hold 4 nappies, wipes, change mat, cream, change of clothes and if bottle feeding a bottle bag, formula holder, bib etc - seperate sections for feeding and changing good - we used a large Penny Scallan backpack with DD2 and was perfect size
Sign in to follow this topic