Huggies Forum

Anyone been to thailand? Lock Rss

DH and I are going to Thailand begining of March next year and just want to see what everyones experiences were. We are going child free for 8 days woop woop lol

Flying to Bangkok stay there 2 days fly to Phuket stay there 6 days than come home.

Where did you stay? What did yuo enjoy? what didnt you enjoy? Any tips? What area did you stay in? Who did you fly with? What is a must? What should we look out for? Did you find bartering hard? is there a way to do it?lol would you recomend longer in Bangkok? DH wants to do Muay Thai sessions for a few days anyones hubby do these? where did they train?

I want to hear about your trip smile either in bangkok or phuket. We arent really going to lie on the beach more to shop, drink, eat and not sleep lol.

DH and I are going to Thailand begining of March next year and just want to see what everyones experiences were. We are going child free for 8 days woop woop lol

Flying to Bangkok stay there 2 days fly to Phuket stay there 6 days than come home.

Where did you stay? What did yuo enjoy? what didnt you enjoy? Any tips? What area did you stay in? Who did you fly with? What is a must? What should we look out for? Did you find bartering hard? is there a way to do it?lol would you recomend longer in Bangkok? DH wants to do Muay Thai sessions for a few days anyones hubby do these? where did they train?

I want to hear about your trip smile either in bangkok or phuket. We arent really going to lie on the beach more to shop, drink, eat and not sleep lol.

Hey! We went to phuket, thailand on our honeymoon 4 yrs ago, stayed at the Evason six senses resort and spa, absolutely beautiful and worth every cent, on a cliff overlooking the beach and islands. Had about 6 restaurants and bars which we loved, even one on it's own beach to sit in those sun recliners and drink cocktails.
Stayed in Bangkok for 1 night and day, glad it wasn't any longer, we didn't enjoy it, as it's smelly and hot and busy and noisy... But the shopping was a hundred times better than in Phuket, there are huge shopping malls and it's cheaper.
Phuket has big shops too but a little more expensive, and to get there it's so far away from the main beaches and bar areas, takes like half an hour to get there in the scariest taxi rides we have ever experienced! The drivers are shocking, no speed limits and they swerve everywhere and I swear I had heart palpitations every time i got into a car...
Also, eat At restaurants that are really busy, not at the food stalls or quiet places, my DH got food poisoning lasted 3 days, and there isn't much the local docs can do, and they don't understand what ur saying...
Take my advice, take maxalon, immoddium and gastrolyte with u in ur luggage as u might not find it anywhere.
Food and drinks are so cheap,B ut beware the little bars in alleys and in the markets at night, they are manned by lady boys or older ladies who just want u to get really drunk and spend all your money....ok forour first night but we got so sick we didn't know what she gave us, kept ringing her bell and shouting "shot" and we were gulping this liquid down, than we spent the whole night vomiting And diarrhea (sorry tmi).. Ha haha
The phi phi island tour is a must, but silly us went in monsoon season in may so most of our tours were cancelled cause of storms... Do the elephant trek, hire yur own speedboat and go snorkeling ask the locals or hotel people the best islands, as the tours are so crowded and they don't show u much, only snorkeled for and hour and than they made us sit n a beach for the rest of the day....
Hire a taxi and go south phuiket, near the lookout down the bottom of the island, there are beautiful sights down there and little shops and massage parlors, take my adivce though and don't get a full body rub as they actually give u a FULL BODY rub.... Lol unless u like that sort of thing, haha... I had to ask her to stop rubbing my boobs but she didn't understand....
Pedicures are awesome and so cheap,
That's all I can think of right now!! You'll have so much fun, omg without the kids too!

Hey! We went to phuket, thailand on our honeymoon 4 yrs ago, stayed at the Evason six senses resort and spa, absolutely beautiful and worth every cent, on a cliff overlooking the beach and islands. Had about 6 restaurants and bars which we loved, even one on it's own beach to sit in those sun recliners and drink cocktails.
Stayed in Bangkok for 1 night and day, glad it wasn't any longer, we didn't enjoy it, as it's smelly and hot and busy and noisy... But the shopping was a hundred times better than in Phuket, there are huge shopping malls and it's cheaper.
Phuket has big shops too but a little more expensive, and to get there it's so far away from the main beaches and bar areas, takes like half an hour to get there in the scariest taxi rides we have ever experienced! The drivers are shocking, no speed limits and they swerve everywhere and I swear I had heart palpitations every time i got into a car...
Also, eat At restaurants that are really busy, not at the food stalls or quiet places, my DH got food poisoning lasted 3 days, and there isn't much the local docs can do, and they don't understand what ur saying...
Take my advice, take maxalon, immoddium and gastrolyte with u in ur luggage as u might not find it anywhere.
Food and drinks are so cheap,B ut beware the little bars in alleys and in the markets at night, they are manned by lady boys or older ladies who just want u to get really drunk and spend all your money....ok forour first night but we got so sick we didn't know what she gave us, kept ringing her bell and shouting "shot" and we were gulping this liquid down, than we spent the whole night vomiting And diarrhea (sorry tmi).. Ha haha
The phi phi island tour is a must, but silly us went in monsoon season in may so most of our tours were cancelled cause of storms... Do the elephant trek, hire yur own speedboat and go snorkeling ask the locals or hotel people the best islands, as the tours are so crowded and they don't show u much, only snorkeled for and hour and than they made us sit n a beach for the rest of the day....
Hire a taxi and go south phuiket, near the lookout down the bottom of the island, there are beautiful sights down there and little shops and massage parlors, take my adivce though and don't get a full body rub as they actually give u a FULL BODY rub.... Lol unless u like that sort of thing, haha... I had to ask her to stop rubbing my boobs but she didn't understand....
Pedicures are awesome and so cheap,
That's all I can think of right now!! You'll have so much fun, omg without the kids too!

I know im so excited thanks so much for the info!! Lmao at your boobs I told DH to make sure there are no "happy endings" lmao.

I really dont mind busy, smelly dirty places lol I would just love to experience the whole thing not just the beaches etc.

Thanks again smile

we went last year child free, phuket: 7nights, ko samoi: 5nights and Bangkok: 4 nights.

in phuket: we stayed at the holiday inn. it was FANTASTIC, right in the heart of it all!! the big shopping markets are behind the hotel, the beach in front and the night club road is walking distance..3mins down the road. the pool has a bar and there are a few restruants there!!! the rooms are pretty good too!
-we went on the jet boat tour (the one that show's the island from the movie beaches) was fun but we had a rough ride due to the wheather haha
-we did white water rafting and elephant ride..this was one tour...totally recommended the whitewater rafting....so much fun!!!
-we also went to the factory outlets....AWESOME value for money.
-we went to the zoo- horrible, animals are kept in the worst conditions!!! but you do get to touch them...including crocodiles!! my profile pic is from the zoo with HUGE birds on me...i think a tocan haha

get a tuk tuk...we had our fella for a whole day and he waited for us while shopping at the factory oulets and at the zoo...only 600 baht = $9 roughly....so great value!! and try and sick to the same one for your days that you are advanturing....they will go out of their way for you!!

Ko Samoi: my all time fav place!!!

Bangkok: we stayed at- sami @ sami sooooooo nice and again in a great location!!! the MBK huge shopping centre in a 2min walk down the road!!
we went to a pingpong show while in bangkok...it was a bit strange haha if you want to go to one, maybe phuket would be better

you get used to bartering....just dont take the first price...you can usually bring them down abit smile and you know when you have pushed enough haha

We went with a two year old in tow - had a ball...

One tip would be to find a corner store or supermarket nearby - we stayed at the Merlin Beach Resort just out of Patong and it had a courteousy bus to the Patong Merlin several times a day. Accross the road was a 7/11 where we would stock up on milk, water, chips, 2min noodles and of course hubbys beer (long necks were about $1.20!). We kept the mini bar stocked as more expensive to buy in resort (Close to Australian prices.)

There are street stalls where you can book tours - cheaper than motel bookings and we had no problems. The Phi Phi Islands cruise was good and there was a 5(?)-in-one cultural tour (place with mini elephant trek/buffalo rides/cooking class/rubber plantation/coconut picking monkeys etc) - the highlights were feeding the elepants fruit after the ride as a thankyou and 'kisses' from a baby elephant..

Another tip...NEVER tell stall owners you'll come back - they have great memories and will recognise you (and remember your name) even a week later, and will call out
It seems that when you first arrive you seem to reek of 'new tourist' because you'll be targeted to get ripped off when you try to barter for something. I don't know whether its lack of tan, or lack of wearing the local clothing, or maybe just the excited way we stare and look around when we arrive, but they know! Lol

Try and get a good idea of how much you should be paying before you go.

My hubby paid the equivalent to $20 Australian for a henna tattoo.... and you can get them here for $5! laugh

And on the topic of henna tattoos... there's been warnings that some people have used a chemical to make the ink blacker - and it has burnt peoples skin. Some people have had scars left. Yukky! I heard that one about Bali though, not sure about Thailand.

Yep, we went in 2007 with an 18mth old and a group of friends. Going back again March next year with an almost 6yr old, almost 4yr old and 18mth old, plus some friends and another 2 kids. Holiday Inn looking the most likely for us to stay in with the kids, last time we stayed at Aquamarine Resort and Spa in Kamala, about 15 minute Tuk Tuk ride north of Patong. Definitely recommend an Elephant Ride and White water rafting (I missed out on that as I was pregnant). Phuket Fantasea is great to go and see as well, huge dining room and festival type area and then you go into this big show with Elephants and dancers/acrobats etc. A lot of the big hotels will have there own booking area for tours, or in our case some tour guy came to the motel daily so we just booked with him. We got group discount as there was so many of us lol. Transfers were included with all of our tours. Bottom of the island is pretty, temples etc to look at. Kata and Karong are nice beaches too - especially if you are kid free. Jung Ceylon is the closest western style shopping centre (no bartering) and it is at the end of Banglaa Rd (main tourist area - shopping, bars etc). Great icecream shop there called Swenson, and KFC is there too lol. Definitely buy your beer from a 7/11 - we were paying 1.00 a bottle lol). Big Muay Thai boxing ring on the same corner (inland end of Banglaa, not beach end). A ute is usually driving around advertising it, these guys stand in the back slapping there gloves together with someone over the loud speaker - we loved hearing it, accent was funny. Big competition there when we went, and Aussie won and all we could hear outside was Aussie Aussie Aussie...Oi Oi Oi. They love Aussies, and the shop owners will say G'day Mate as you walk past, if you don't answer some of them will then try saying hello in other languages - funny as to hear them. Sometimes a shop owner will try and take you into a secret room, like behind a rack of clothes on the wall (in their own shop, or down the road, around the corner and up the alley way lol - it'll be there wifes brother in laws shop or something), and they will often have better quality stuff there. Be careful though, don't go on your own, or try and keep door open. We had no probs though, got some good dvds out of that. Be very careful hiring anything (not really recommended), like motorbikes, jetskis, boats, even be wary of hire cars over there - insurance doesn't always cover it, they will often want to keep your passport (DO NOT DO THAT) and won't give it back if something happens, and there mate who will fix it will charge a fortune - leaving you up *** creek basically. We saw a western guy crash a bike into a car too. Try and relax in the taxis and Tuk Tuks if you can (great fun though - try and go for a ride in a disco one lol), roads and driving is very different to here and no where near as safe, but you gotta get around somehow. We did James Bond island last time and will do Phi Phi this time - supposed to be better and more to do. Swim up bar in the motel is great for just relaxing, cocktails (in my case it was mocktails) were lovely. Lots of food choices, just go to the bigger, nicer looking ones and don't get ice in your drinks, if the ice is made from their own water it can make you sick. We did buy from some smaller places, but a couple of friends got sick on the flight home lol. On the beach in front of the hotel was a bar and massage place, we went regularly and got $10 massages (yep, full body but they stopped if you asked them too) from the wives/sisters and then drinks from the men lol, they had a little boy (Ahmin) that became friends with our son, was very cute, they shared lunch and all - no idea what it was though lol. Lady boys....... Bar games.... Ping pong shows...... lots to see and experience lol. Just wander up and down Banglaa road and check it all out, and then extend out from there.
Hmm.......probably more but I think I've written heaps lol.
You will love it, it's a fantastic place!! We want to have a wander through some smaller towns/villages this time and see a bit more traditional culture and stuff. But, we have kids with us so will have to work to there schedule. smile

omg ladies thank you!!! We arent going till march and my brain is working over time!! I am so excited. We are def doing ping pong show lol

those who did the phi phi island tour how long was it? what did you do? DH is not a beach person at all so not sure how bored he will get. Dont really want to lay in the sun and get a tan just want to look around etc.

Did anyone go to the local villages to see what it was like?

We want to stay close to the city but not right in the middle of it you know? I have no idea about the area etc so just trying to figure the map out lol.

Anyone do the floating markets and tiger temple in bangkok? We will be doing that huge mall I think its called MBK or what ever.we have so much to cram into 7days. Plan is to sleep there than sleep on the way back lol.

all your tips have been great so thanks

Jung Ceylon shopping mall is western setup and western prices - but as PP said, KFC, hogs breath, starbucks and a supermarket all in there (walk through centre into back and there is an open mall)

We didnt do much shopping in our first week. By the time we did we had priced sussed out. The more you buy from one stall the cheaper you'll get it, so look around for ones with good variety.

We had one lady try and sell DH a fake Quiksilver jumper for AU$80 lol laugh needless to say - "how much?..too much.." grin
Sign in to follow this topic