Huggies Forum

any vet type people around? Lock Rss

I've written heaps about our problem dog on here before so I'll try not to get into the behavioural side of things here!

Just wanting some help with how to get my dog to eat..... she's a Labrador with issues, she started off life with us with many medical issues & we spent so much money just for her to live. She was left with damaged intestines which means that if we give her poor quality supermarket dog food she will get diarrhea and vomiting, and if she keeps getting food that she shouldn't have she starts bleeding in her intestines and will be seriously ill again.

So she has Royal Canin food from the vet - its a 15kg bag of bland dry food that she has been on for years, its $100 a bag and that's all she has to eat. She has a measured amount of it twice per day and she's never liked it, but has eaten enough to get her by over the years. So she has never been the usual looking 6yo Labrador because she has never been fat!

For the last few weeks she has refused to eat. The vet has always said just persist with it because she won't starve herself to death. Well guess what..... she is starting to look noticeably skinny and I'm worried. They don't understand the absolute determined nature of this dog. She's still drinking, she's not sick. She just doesn't like the food. I rang the vet again today and they said keep trying and call back on Tuesday.

I don't want to wait that long - she needs to eat and I don't know what else to start with! We tried cooking up mince/rice/veg quite a few years ago now and even that made her sick.

Any suggestions? Has anyone got a dog with dietary needs like this?

i'm not a vet but feel sorry for your poor doggy.

i just had an idea (maybe stupid)but what if you wraped up one (or 2) of her bikkies in some bread? just so it looks different and she might try it.

hope she is ok

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

Sorry I don't have much time to reply but there are other foods your vet could recommend- Eukanuba, Science Diet. These have prescription diets. It may be worth talking to your vet about trying something different.
Have you looked into BARF its an all natural diet. Search BARF on the net and if you like the sound of it maybe speak with your vet about it.
There are also products on the market that can increase appeptite I can't think of the name off hand but I beleive they contain vitamin B as it is supposed to increase appeptite. It works best for cats but can help dogs also. I have show dogs and our bitch has a false pregancy after every season and refuses to eat for weeks on end and becomes extremely emotinal. Funnily enough the only food she would eat if I was lucky was Royal Canin as it is good for fussy eaters generally.
I hope some of this has helped. I know how stressful it is seeing your dog get thinner and thinner. Our girl is refusing to eat at the moment and has pretty much not eaten for the past week sad
Good luck with your dog.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will try the chicken and rice today. Bit hard being a long weekend trying to get different food! I know she will wolf down ANYTHING else, its just that I'm scared of making her sick again.

hi i have no idea about dog diets but my brother in law adds a tiny bit of oil out of the deep fryer and mixes it with the dog food. gives it a different taste.

but again i dont know anything about diets. gl

She has had the science diet before once when our vet ran out of royal Canin - we are in the country so the options arnt huge, there's only the two to choose from here! She wasn't too fussed about the science diet either when we tried it. There are also the cans of wet food available there but I think I worked out that ended up being a hugely expensive way to do it, even moreso than now!

Yep she's a lab but she's not typical with the food habits, she won't eat food from strangers - she's pretty fussy. I think she might know that it makes her feel awful. But she trusts me and eats whatever I've given her. She does have the occasional scrap from leftovers and is fine - its just large amounts given often that will make her sick so will try the tbsp idea thanks.

Might have to look at asking the vet to get a different brand in with the guarantee that I'll buy it every month.

I have to go into town to get some chicken so will be going shortly.... might be a dumb question.... but do I cook the chicken or give it to her raw?

She has had the science diet before once when our vet ran out of royal Canin - we are in the country so the options arnt huge, there's only the two to choose from here! She wasn't too fussed about the science diet either when we tried it. There are also the cans of wet food available there but I think I worked out that ended up being a hugely expensive way to do it, even moreso than now!

Yep she's a lab but she's not typical with the food habits, she won't eat food from strangers - she's pretty fussy. I think she might know that it makes her feel awful. But she trusts me and eats whatever I've given her. She does have the occasional scrap from leftovers and is fine - its just large amounts given often that will make her sick so will try the tbsp idea thanks.

Might have to look at asking the vet to get a different brand in with the guarantee that I'll buy it every month.

I have to go into town to get some chicken so will be going shortly.... might be a dumb question.... but do I cook the chicken or give it to her raw?

you shoud cook the chicken first i reckon
you could boil it with the rice
you could also maybe add some pasta

hope she gets better soon
Yep I totally agree with the chicken thing, definitely a great thing for any tummy upsets in dogs.
No harm is frying it in some olive oil, obviously no bones though smile

Have been giving her some slowly.... after the last one she has rolled around in her bed clawing at her face which is what she always does when the food is not agreeing with her. Argh.... will just leave it and wait and see now. We have to fast her for 48 hours whenever she gets sick so I guess it'll be no different to her not eating anyway! I wish we had a normal dog..... lol

Sign in to follow this topic