Huggies Forum

I'd like a student midwife! Rss

Hello! I have recently found out that I am pregnant and I would love a student midwife to follow me through and even birth my baby if he/she is at that stage in their training. I was wondering how I go about meeting some students. I realise they need many follow throughs which is why I think it'd be such a nice gesture to offer my journey to someone studying mid.

Thanks smile
I had a lady approach me in the hospital carpark! lol At that stage it was all very new to me (early in the pregnancy and bub #1) and I found it really confronting that she came up to me in the carpark but thats another story!

We were given information about it through our hospital but decided that given this is bub #1 we werent very comfortable with it. If your hospital doesnt have the information maybe contact a university direct? Im sure they could put you into contact with someone who is more than willing smile

Goodluck!
i had a student midwife with my first..

When it came down to the business end of things and i was in ALOT of pain and i had the midwife, doctor put there hands in my vj. The student nurse said can i have a feel , i said NO THATS enough.

I just felt it very intrusive because it was my first baby and i was in agony from the aneasthest having 2 failed attempts at the epi dural, and then another having 1 failed attemp at epi dural.

Mind you i got cranky after being in labour for 16 hours ...
My best friend and my sister in law are student midwives.. and I have to say.. they are great!! My SIL has deferred this year but my best friend is graduating this year..

I have only ever heard great things about them to be honest.. not them in particular but about student midwives. .being very helpful, always on hand if you have a question.. after hours too.. They can become like a friend.

I have to say you would want to be careful with who you pick, maybe "interview" them and make sure you are comfortable with them. Stiupulate at the start how much you want them to be involved in.. My friend goes as far as delivering the babies.. So she is a bit more experienced but I love having her to text if I am stuck on something.. She has been there for me though since baby 1.. before she even started nursing.. so she has always had a knack for it grin

I would go to your major hospital or universitiy to find one.
i think thats a lovely gesture smile def contact a university or talk to the hospital about it, that would prob be the best atarting point. but as PPs said with your first bub make sure you have other experienced and confident MWs with you too as you do need that assurance..but normally i think students just accompany registered MW and learn that way so dont actually look after you alone iykwim
Ask your hospital.
We had one for #2 and she was great! Really really good - it was really reassuring to have someone I knew and got along with well at the birth and she knew her stuff too coz she'd had kids of her own which I think was helpful.

I started with one with #3 but she was really young and would sometimes rock up and other times wouldn't and in the end I just didn't really feel that comfortable with her, so basically just kinda let contact with her slide... She was really quite unorganised though and after the birth experience I had with #3 I'm glad she wasn't there! (DD2 was posterior and after several failed attempts at an epidural I was getting quite bad-tempered lol. Then I had other drugs which made me go into my own happy little world! laugh )

Both times I was approached in the waiting room at hospital smile
The hospital I went to is closely affiliated with the local Uni so there's usually quite a lot floating around.

Other option is to contact your local University which has Midwifery and see what their process is.

~Mum-to-three~ wrote:
Hello! I have recently found out that I am pregnant and I would love a student midwife to follow me through and even birth my baby if he/she is at that stage in their training. I was wondering how I go about meeting some students. I realise they need many follow throughs which is why I think it'd be such a nice gesture to offer my journey to someone studying mid.

Thanks smile

It seems to me that you better see a professional and experienced doctor. I would not trust students. The current generation does not want to study at all and orders all the work on the Internet and using academic writing services while they studying.
Sign in to follow this topic