Huggies Forum

VENT Lock Rss

we have just moved to tasmania in july i paid her $1500 our rent is only $160pw. which by my calculations brought us up to october.
she emailed us a week ago saying we owed her 220 then it became 320 now it is 540 WTF.dp has rung from work asking me to look into loans cause she can not wait 4 days till he gets paid ive completely had it and im seriously going to loose my temper angry

i dont really have any advice i wanted to say that is ridiculous
Do you have reciepts that you have paid all that money out?, because thats alot of money to pay with no reciept ( if you don't have one).

Is there tenancy authority place you can ring and talk to ?.

in queensland we have the RTA and they are helpfull.

best of luck

we have just moved to tasmania in july i paid her $1500 our rent is only $160pw. which by my calculations brought us up to october.
she emailed us a week ago saying we owed her 220 then it became 320 now it is 540 WTF.dp has rung from work asking me to look into loans cause she can not wait 4 days till he gets paid ive completely had it and im seriously going to loose my temper angry

How did it go from $220 to $540 in the space of a week?

How did you do your calculations - ie from what date to what date did $1500 cover?

I got into trouble many years ago when renting because I got paid monthly so paid my rent monthly - only I paid 4 weeks at a time and when you pay monthly there's 30 or 31 days in the month (4 weeks is only 28 days)... so I was always under paying and after a while the agent contacted us and asked what was going on - then someone pointed out theres more than 28 days in a month...doh!
I personally would of at least sent a curtesy message saying you need to pay rent in 2 weeks time as that is when the money you have paid me finishes
we live an hour from the closest town (only has basics eg hospital wool worths butcher and a few other small stores) but it is even a night mare getting to the dr i have to wait till when/if dp has a day off during the week
i told dp she can shove it up her ... i want to move we are not on a fixed lease

This is why I dont do private rentals anymore, I rent through an agency as everything seems to be by the book. One year we received a letter saying we paid too much in rent and could skip a fortnights worth in rent. Also anything that needs fixing gets done that day or the next day.

I dont understand how she can say you owe her different amounts in the space of a week. They didnt seem to be multiples of $160 either? Also do you pay via online banking or have receipts? I would go through them and double check, then ask her to check her records as you can explain that $160 x so many weeks = the amount you have paid.

Not sure about bond ect you have paid but
to me 4*160 would be bond
then you also have to pay 2 weeks in advance

so thats 640+340=960

and say you moved in start of july and up till end of september thats 8 weeks

8x160=1280

so all up that would 2240 all up

she is asking for 2040 so i would be saying yes you owe her
But if you have paid a bond seperate to this money then is there a lease if not i would get in contact with the ombasman
the 1500 i paid via net banking and attached rent in the description part i went from the 15th 15th july as we had paid her to the end of june before leaving qld and we paid 2 weeks after arriving

Is that covering bond?? cos it might be that and usually u always have to be 2 weeks ahead.. or at least every rental I have had works that way..

For eg. if you are in a house for $200/week.. up front you need 4 weeks today for bond (not taken off your rent) and then two weeks ahead.. so that is $1200 up front.. and then a fortnights rent would be due in 2 weeks from move in date..

But You havent said what sort of agreement the $1500 is for so it is hard to comment..
nope dp had all that paid before leaving qld we even had the bond reciept waiting at the post office when we got here

best of luck with this..

do you have a tenancy agreement or just a verbal agreement?

But You havent said what sort of agreement the $1500 is for so it is hard to comment..

our rent is 160 pw i paid her 1500 for rent as everything else was already paid for before we left qld

Sign in to follow this topic