Huggies Forum

Keeping baby stuff Lock Rss

DH and I are unsure whether we want another child or not, but are keeping DS's clothes etc just incase.

So my question is, how long did you put the clothes aside for? At what size did you draw the line?

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

I got rid of all my stuff after two years, but now im pregnant again. My brother still has all of his sons clothes (now up to size 5) and his mrs is only just a few weeks pregnant now. I guess it just depends on how much space you have.
with my 1 first i got rid of everything after about 3 yrs as i separated from his father and was then single for 4 yrs before meeting my now husband. i have 7 yrs and 10 month between my boys. with my second i keep all the big stuff ie pram, car seat, cot etc but clothing i gave to charity probably after a yr or so as we didn't really know if we were going to have another baby or not but we now are now 5 yrs on so im glad we held on to all the big stuff.

DH and I are unsure whether we want another child or not, but are keeping DS's clothes etc just incase.

So my question is, how long did you put the clothes aside for? At what size did you draw the line?

In my experience its such a gamble. this is because you don't know if its a boy or girl,
or secondly, you sort of have to have your baby within the same month or two of each other, because as babies they need (for example) summer newborn clothes, or winter size 0.

As you know , in the first year in particular they grow so quickly out of the sizes.

I think keeping the bigger clothes, say from size 1 up is a good idea as they seem to get a good 6months- 1 year wear from them.

So, in conclusion, I would keep singlets, socks,baby blankets, hats and a few key pieces you loved, and sell the rest.
i would give it to someone you know will give it back when they are finnished with it

In my experience its such a gamble. this is because you don't know if its a boy or girl,
or secondly, you sort of have to have your baby within the same month or two of each other, because as babies they need (for example) summer newborn clothes, or winter size 0.

As you know , in the first year in particular they grow so quickly out of the sizes.

I think keeping the bigger clothes, say from size 1 up is a good idea as they seem to get a good 6months- 1 year wear from them.

So, in conclusion, I would keep singlets, socks,baby blankets, hats and a few key pieces you loved, and sell the rest.

I'm in the situation above (a December baby and a June baby and we didn't find out the sex) but I'm glad we kept our stuff. Also I have found that a lot of the bigger stuff is thoroughly trashed and so I've thrown it out! I have found that a surprising amount of stuff has been fine despite the season difference...
I guess it depends on whether you have anywhere to keep the clothes (we have put a ladder into our roof space so we have HEAPS of dry storage). I have had a big purge though and I also got rid of stuff that I found annoyed me, like suits with big collars, not good with a refluxy baby, or ones that did up up the back, which just seem silly!
I kept everything after dd1, clothes, cot, pram, car seat, maternity clothes etc. The clothing I put into vacuum bags that was outgrown. I fell preg when she was 2.5. Found out we were expecting dd2, glad we'd kept it all! After both girls grew a bit, space was limited with baby stuff & out grown clothes ranging from 0000's to 2's in bags. I sold everything with no plans to have any more bubs & my maternity clothes too. Now dd2 is 3 & I'm 28.5 wks pregnant!! I have to buy everything again, i kept nothing.This time we are expecting a boy though smile

I kept ALL of DS's good stuck.. well everything up until age 1 and then the non damaged, non stained stuff after that. I had no idea when I would have another child but I didnt want to have spent all that money and then spend it all again and just give all these good clothes away.. it seemed such a waste.

We had DD when DS was 4 years old.. so I got out the unisex stuff and continued to keep DS's old clothes in storage. We then went on to keep DD's stuff as well.. "just in case"

So now DS is 7, DD is 2 1/2 and we have kept both of their clothes and are expecting a boy. My DS's stuff is still good. .have only chucked maybe 4 pairs of pants where the elastics have gone but the rest I washed last week and they look brand new!! So glad I kept it all. This baby is our last (not according to DH but yes, IT IS!!) so after the birth, when we can MAKE SURE the ultrasound was right, we will give away DD's clothes and sell some of it too.. and then give away all the newborn stuff as we no longer need it.
Sign in to follow this topic