Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Do you get your kids out of the car?

Do you get your kids out of the car? Lock Rss

I was wondering who does and who doesnt?
As in my other thread someone just commented that they leave their Ds in the car as they are only gone 2 minutes.

I never do that, i would worry that something would happen.
Like the car getting stolen with my child in it.
Or the car getting hit by another car.
Or anything really.
I must be a worry wort.
Opinions?
It is illegal to leave any child under the age of 10 unaccompanied by an adult (18 years plus) person in a car.

Doesn't matter if it is 2 minutes or 20, I always take our child. smile
Well I generally try to get fuel when I don't have DS, like on the way home from work or something. But if I absolutely have to get it with him then I go to stations with the pump close to the door, lock the car and take the keys (so dont know how it could get stolen?) and I can see the whole time. But if it was a big station, far from the shop i'd probably get him out. However like I said, I really try to avoid getting it with him anyway so i've probably done that like 4 times ever.

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

I leave ours, 5 1/2 & almost 4. I lock the door & they leave their belts on. I only leave them to pay for petrol or to run into the milk bar. Things that take less time than what it does to get them out of the car. They know that under no circumstances are they to unlock the door. If we lived in a big city probably wouldn't then but if it didn't feel right or there were strange people hanging around I would take them in with me.
Hi,
Never leave your kids in the car!!! Full stop!!! Especially getting fuel because anything could happen what if the doors lock inside the petrol station and you have locked the car how does someone get the kids out in an emergency. You are the parents your job is to look after them the best you can leaving then in the car at any time is just not good enough. You will be surprised as to how many people will help you in that situation. For instance I have a 20 month old and a 5 month old numerous times I will park right in front of the store and pass the money in and the shop keeper will go and get me food obviously this isn't a re occurrence only if I really need something as for petrol I don't care if I hold up the line and have to ask someone to pay for me which is maybe 1 a year my kids are my priority they come first over my unorganisation or inconvience. I have a friend that leaves on child in the car everytime she gets petrol
And you can't see the baby when you pay it's just not worth it is really. How can argue or justify that it's ok to leave your kids on their own Sorry if im harsh but don't have kids if you can't take on the responsibility.
Well I am going to be the odd one out and say that i leave my kids in the car while paying for petrol!
I think I will take my DS with me, especially if I can't see the car even if it is only 2 min. But I guess I will train DP to make sure the car is full when I have to use it wink We live in the city centre anyway so I can see us walking most places especially in summer.

When I was a kid (maybe from the age of 7 or 8) my parents used to leave me in the car for like half an hour while they did the super market shopping. They left the keys so I could listen to the radio. One time I started the car and it was in gear so hit the barrier they were parked against. Funnily enough I was never left in the car again until I was like 13 lol!
If its a small station I leave my daughter in the car. If its a big station where I am going to be waiting a while then I will take her in.
I'll occasionally leave them I live in a small town and where you pay is like 5 steps from the pump.

Hi,
Never leave your kids in the car!!! Full stop!!! Especially getting fuel because anything could happen what if the doors lock inside the petrol station and you have locked the car how does someone get the kids out in an emergency. You are the parents your job is to look after them the best you can leaving then in the car at any time is just not good enough. You will be surprised as to how many people will help you in that situation. For instance I have a 20 month old and a 5 month old numerous times I will park right in front of the store and pass the money in and the shop keeper will go and get me food obviously this isn't a re occurrence only if I really need something as for petrol I don't care if I hold up the line and have to ask someone to pay for me which is maybe 1 a year my kids are my priority they come first over my unorganisation or inconvience. I have a friend that leaves on child in the car everytime she gets petrol
And you can't see the baby when you pay it's just not worth it is really. How can argue or justify that it's ok to leave your kids on their own Sorry if im harsh but don't have kids if you can't take on the responsibility.

I dont know where your opinion comes from. Maybe you or someone you know had a bad experience relating to this? But I think your going a bit far in saying people who leave their child/ children in the car while paying for fuel can't handle the responsibility of parenthood. Let's face it their a ALOT of parents that do and it isn't the only aspect of parenting. You also have to take into account different service stations in different environments. For example, if you were in a very small country town and literally knew everyone, your servo had one pump in front of a large window next to the register would you be tempted to leave your child rather than haul them out and back in their car seat?
Just suggesting a different point of view. I dont leave my child in the car.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Hi every parent should read this fact sheet http://fcs.tamu.edu/safety/passenger_safety/toolkit/youth_traffic_safety/leaving_children_unattended.pdf. I know this is an American site but it's just a generic fact just like fences around pools. It is illegal like a reply added earlier it's a fact not an opinion that it is dangerous. How is it any different to any other scenario. If there was a pool right next to you would you just leave them while you went and got food or would you take then with you? If you can literally park right next to the window to pay that's legal but I think it's really sad that there even has to be a law for things like this well it sounds to me thank goodness there is because someone has to stick up for the children. No tragic accident has happened I just love my kids and wouldn't purposely leave them on their own for an eran. It is a legal responsibility to not leave ur kids in the car unattended if you dont follow this is it not being irresponsible? I mean cmon I'm talking about seriously if your ur right there and only a metre away then sure but cmon there isn't many stations that as you pay for petrol you can hear your kids and see them directly.

Hi,

like noddy said i think that was a bit of leap to jump straight to not being able to handle being a parent. If you had 4 kids all under 5 and was a small servo would you still try to carry all 4 kids into the servo to pay for fuel drag them through the fumes?....

I personally leave bub in the car i take the keys so it cant be stolen just for the simple fact i dont want her breathing in all the fumes its gross the fumes give me a head ache let alone a baby. i do park right next to the door though and i also go to the same servo everytime.
Sign in to follow this topic