Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. birthday present for 4 year old girl

birthday present for 4 year old girl Rss

it is a friends dd's birthday this weekend and i asked what she needed and she said some new bathers would be great but make sure that they are bikinis!
- is it just me or is 4 too young to be wearing a bikini?!
sorry i just have boys for now!
I dont have a girl but if I did they would be wearing a cute little one piece. Bikinis for 4 year olds? I dont think it is appropriate.
Most of my DD's swimmers are bikinis!

However I always buy the matching rashie so they usually never end up wearing the top. Just the bikini bottoms with the matching rashie.

If they ever do, it's only at home in our pool and after the sun has gone down.

I have a dd and atm she wears boardies and a rash vest but when she gets a little older i would put a cute little one piece on her, I definately believe that 4 is way too young bikinis. I'd get a very cute one piece for her but that's just me. Although it is the parents choice.
Guess you'd go with Mum's suggestion - her choice I guess, maybe the 4 year old wants one?

They are not something I'd get my girls - not just for the wearing next to nothing factor but more for the sun protection.

My girls wear a rashie and bikini bottom - I'd guess you'd call it that but they are more the shape of undies than anything skimpy.
I personally would just go out and buy a cute one piece and not say anything.

If she asks I would just say that you hadn't even thought about it, you just thought the one you picked was really cute!

I personally would just go out and buy a cute one piece and not say anything.

If she asks I would just say that you hadn't even thought about it, you just thought the one you picked was really cute!

I think thats a bit rude, if she asked for bikini and she opens a 2 piece imagine the disappointment.How would you like it someone asked you what you would like and you said a gold bangle or something and the person gave you a silver one instead because they thought it was better for you or cuter than what you like better

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Just a thought.... maybe one piece bathers don't fit her very well and she needs the 2 piece so they can adjust the fitting. I don't agree with bikinis for kids either, but it may be a practical reason? If you don't want to buy them though, but plasticine or a puzzle or something very different. Or a pool pony!
I don't agree with bikinis on little girls either (I have two daughters) but some of my friends have been parading their girls around in bikinis for years! If you don't agree with the suggestion, I think you should buy something else.

I think thats a bit rude, if she asked for bikini and she opens a 2 piece imagine the disappointment.How would you like it someone asked you what you would like and you said a gold bangle or something and the person gave you a silver one instead because they thought it was better for you or cuter than what you like better

Umm I would be grateful that they got me anything!!!

I wouldn't even think twice about it, if someone told me their kid wanted a bikini, in my mind I would just think bathers!! And I would just get whatever I think is appropriate
hi
my 4yr old DD1 wears either a one piece or bikini bottoms with a rash shirt. Personally, I am not comfortable with her wearing a bikini, and also way to much skin to get sunburnt. I am lucky as she loves her onepiece suits smile so hopefully the bikini issue isn't raised in our house for a while longer.
You can get 3 piece sets - bikini tops, bottom and rash shirt, maybe you could buy one of those?
Otherwise as a PP said, get something totally different eg books, puzzles, crafty stuff.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

it is a friends dd's birthday this weekend and i asked what she needed and she said some new bathers would be great but make sure that they are bikinis!
- is it just me or is 4 too young to be wearing a bikini?!
sorry i just have boys for now!

Maybe you could get her a proper swim brand ie chlorine resistant, bikini? So, not a fashionable/controversial triangle bikini that you aren't comfortable with. I think that people don't see a problem with bikini because they know a little girl is not associating that with anything, and nor are their parents... but I guess the point is that it is kind of setting them up, and that the bikini was invented as something sexy to objectify a body.

My daughter has eczema very severely, and often a one-piece cuts her and there is no way to adjust it. I also used to get bather rash when I was a competitive swimmer so I often wore a training bikini as a teenager. My daughter wears a Rival training bikini.(Practicality as OC suggested)

What about a tankini?

I don't think getting a one-piece is a good solution, the girl might not want one! She could have seen someone in a magazine, or she might have a barbie that wears a bikini, or a cousin or anything... so even though it might seem strange that she wants a bikini, there could have been an outside influence that has her set on getting a bikini.
Sign in to follow this topic