Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

I have the BRAVEST 4y old! Rss

Good on him, he saved the day grin. Hope my kids would do that for me, i would be running into another room with the the baby.

Come to think of it he didn't like the moth or grasshopper that somehow got into my house yesterday. Hubby had to save us.

Awww how cute and brave of him, my daughter is afraid of spiders so she would probably be hiding in the corner with me.
That's extremely brave of him!

I have a horrible fear of spiders - I know it's a fairly irrational fear as most spiders are harmless, but I just freak out!

I think I have passed my fear onto DS, but DD1 doesn't seem phased by them at all thankfully (she actually says they're cute huh), so hopefully she'll be able to rescue me one day like your son did to you!

I just found a big Huntsman spider behind my lounge, Im very proud to say I didn't scream but I did run away lol!

DS2 was so brave he sprayed it and sucked it up for me smile!!!

Thats so beautiful!!
Don't think it will happen in our house. I had to stop the car while driving today to remove a bug that was freaking out my 4yr old DD1. LOL

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

wow. sad that is something my kids would get in trouble for.....

Part of living is accepting that there are other creatures of all sizes that live with us. Its part of being in an ecosystem.

Why can't you just take it outside? What do you think its going to do to you? I bet a person has hurt you much more then a spider ever can and will. wink

DS1 would freak if a moth came in he's so scared of them, actually come to think of it he is scared of any type of bug really!

Me too but I am more scared of mice!!!

I get where you are coming from but the fear takes over so there's no way Im even going into a room with it let alone touch it unsure unsure

but Im guessing thats something you don't understand?

Hi there,
I get the irrational fear thing. smile Dh is TERRIFIED of them. I am just saying that maybe instead of just sending your 4 year old to kill, kill, kill perhaps either use a different room or ask someone to come and remove it for you. With the fear thing...it is an irrational fear, so maybe now is the time to start working on it. Dh is completely petrified of them ever since one of his brothers threw one at him, he wouldn't kill it though. He just accepts the fear and tries to sweep it out the house as fast as he can.

Fear doesn't mean you can't do it. wink
another thing to remember is that most people get bitten when trying to kill things. Snakes...spiders etc.

Also respect for animals begins with creepy crawlys. The message you are giving your kids is its ok to kill it because you are scared of it.
When we first moved into our current house there were so many spiders, as it had been empty for a long time and we live in a small rural town. At first they creeped me out, but since I'm adverse to killing them I just sucked it up, got a brush and shovel and swept them out. Now, nine years later it's like second nature - I see a spider, I go and get the brush and shovel and sweep it out. My oldest daughter will now sweep out the smaller ones because she has seen me do it, and my other children will either ignore them or get me to sweep them out. Sometimes the bigger huntsmans actually walk to the door as I'm opening it and just walk out! Even if they are on the roof I get a broom and get them down, then catch them with a brush and shovel - I really don't like doing that though! I have heard that removing spiders humanely from your home is good luck. I have no idea whether that is true or not, but I like the message it sends to my kids!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

I don't see anything wrong with killing spiders - we have enough of them in our house. I generally leave daddy long legs alone as they stay in one spot and are really good at catching other bugs. Huntsmen generally stay outside - on our garage door, so unless I accidently run them over with my car they are spared. White tails however get sprayed with surface spray and then they get flushed down the toilet to make sure they are dead. They have a habit of crawling all around the house and I woke up with one on my face once ! I don't have an irrational fear of them - far from it, I make a rational decision to kill them so that my son doesn't end up with an infected spider bite. Taking them outside is not gonna achieve anything - they'll find a way into the house or will get eaten by a bird - and end up dead anyway. I'm not a Tibetan Buddhist - I feel absolutely no remorse for killing white tails.

White tails however get sprayed with surface spray and then they get flushed down the toilet to make sure they are dead.
I feel absolutely no remorse for killing white tails.

I just squash the bast@rds..at least I know they are dead! lol
I couldnt flush them down the toilet..what happens if they wont die and start crawling up the bowl for revenge while your sitting on it...silly thought I know hahaha
To the OP, I guess you'll be relying on your lil dude as he gets older laugh

I just squash the bast@rds..at least I know they are dead! lol
I couldnt flush them down the toilet..what happens if they wont die and start crawling up the bowl for revenge while your sitting on it...silly thought I know hahaha
To the OP, I guess you'll be relying on your lil dude as he gets older laugh

Lol - I think the same thing.......and I always have a quick glance in the loo to make sure no bugs or creatures of any sort are gonna bite me on the butt!!!

Thats very sweet and brave of him!!! One of my boys is a bug lover and will play with them or want to look and touch and keep..... but me - I'd scream and panic and fluff about a bit (ok, a lot), if it was small, not moving and I was feeling extremely brave I'd kill it myself. If not, I'd call in the army, airforce, police - whoever I could to get rid of the little bugga. And sorry to those who don't like killing them, but I'm not a nature crusader at all and I will not rehome it outside just for it to find its way back in again....no no no no......fear of spiders does not work that way, and no this is not the time to try and fix that fear!!!!! I feel the same about snakes and sadly there are at least 2 big brown b*#@ards in the bushes near my house now - if I see them, they will be killed.......as soon as I find someone brave enough to come do for it me.

I don't see anything wrong with killing spiders - we have enough of them in our house. I generally leave daddy long legs alone as they stay in one spot and are really good at catching other bugs. Huntsmen generally stay outside - on our garage door, so unless I accidently run them over with my car they are spared. White tails however get sprayed with surface spray and then they get flushed down the toilet to make sure they are dead. They have a habit of crawling all around the house and I woke up with one on my face once ! I don't have an irrational fear of them - far from it, I make a rational decision to kill them so that my son doesn't end up with an infected spider bite. Taking them outside is not gonna achieve anything - they'll find a way into the house or will get eaten by a bird - and end up dead anyway. I'm not a Tibetan Buddhist - I feel absolutely no remorse for killing white tails.

I have no issues with killing things that pose a genuine threat. A white tail bite causes long lasting damage and there can be numerous white tails in one house. I too kill whitetails on sight. My problem is with killing anything that doesn't actually pose a threat, based on an irrational fear.
You don't need to be a tibetan buddhist to have basic respect for animals big or small. wink
Sign in to follow this topic