Huggies Forum

quick question Lock Rss

Does straightening hair kill lice/nits?
I don't think I would reccomend it blink

I have never tried that method but because lice can stick so close to your scalp, you will never kill them all with just a hair straightner.
Apparently it does, I dont have any conclusive results to share though.

It would have to be quite close to the scalp to do so I would have thought.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

the reason I'm asking is that I have tried about 4 different shampoos, as well as a 'condtioning method' I found and am running out of ideas. My girls go to preschool & keep getting them back, How do I get rid of them for good if straightening doesn't work?

the reason I'm asking is that I have tried about 4 different shampoos, as well as a 'condtioning method' I found and am running out of ideas. My girls go to preschool & keep getting them back, How do I get rid of them for good if straightening doesn't work?

I can sympathise with you, I have a DD who attracts nits and they are hard to get rid of.

I have found by luck a really good comb, but the only way to really get rid of them is to go through the hair every day section by section pulling the nits and eggs out as you go.

I have also got tiny elastic bands and sectioned off my DDs hair then gone through each section while putting tiny plaits in her hair (like cornrows)then leaving it in for a day and reversing the process... it looks really cute smile

I can sympathise with you, I have a DD who attracts nits and they are hard to get rid of.

I have found by luck a really good comb, but the only way to really get rid of them is to go through the hair every day section by section pulling the nits and eggs out as you go.

I have also got tiny elastic bands and sectioned off my DDs hair then gone through each section while putting tiny plaits in her hair (like cornrows)then leaving it in for a day and reversing the process... it looks really cute smile

Thanks, I'll try that, dd's hair is quite thick so that may be easier. If after I've done that does spraying with tea tree oil help keep them away?

Thanks, I'll try that, dd's hair is quite thick so that may be easier. If after I've done that does spraying with tea tree oil help keep them away?

My DD's hair is thick too... I think thats what they like about it.

Yes as far as I know tea tree or just cheap hairspray. But nothing is guaranteed... just warning you wink

lol yep I'm finding that out!! Thank you smile
with my daughter i found when she kept getting them back at preschool the only thing that would stop them coming back was spraying her hair daily with a strong tea tree oil solution. the daycare were trying to figure out which kid was bringing them back all the time and i think eventually they got on top of it. good luck as i know how frustrating it can be

with my daughter i found when she kept getting them back at preschool the only thing that would stop them coming back was spraying her hair daily with a strong tea tree oil solution. the daycare were trying to figure out which kid was bringing them back all the time and i think eventually they got on top of it. good luck as i know how frustrating it can be

preschool are trying but because DD has such thick hair I'm never certain that I've actually got rid of them! I'll go to the chemist tomorrow and get some tea tree oil
Tea tree oil in a leave in conditioner spray works well at keeping them away.
The lice can't cling to "greasy" hair.
My mum was always so paranoid of me getting them when I was younger and I never did as I always had conditioner in my hair, with it plaited.

The combs are really good too, but it will take some time with quite thick hair.

Ahh just talking about them makes me itch, and I've never even had them!
Good luck smile
My girls often get then - it drives me crazy! I check their hair twice a day - in the morning before school and in the evening after their bath/shower. If I see any, I pick them out, and if there is heaps then I do a herbal treatment and them comb them out with white conditioner. In the periods where we have them all the time, I spray their hair every morning with a combination of tea tree, lavender and water. They don't care whether your hair is clean or dirty, but they don't like plaited hair. I haven't found anything else that works any better - the sad thing is, you really have no control over it as you can send them to school and other kids may have them. You can tell the teacher or staff at the school and they can let parents know, but many parents I know never check - so if their kids had them they would pass them on at school. It is very frustrating!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

Sign in to follow this topic