Huggies Forum

Everyone blames teething Lock Rss

Ok, little teething rant. My DD is 5 months this week. Since she was about 8 weeks if she is ever unsettled people say oh it could be teething. Now I know some people are convinced that their bubs are teething because they are unsettled and some people believe that their teeth can move around a bit... and I'm not saying this isn't true... BUT...

I hate that people seem to need to find something to blame their babies irritable or sooky days on something (and generally teeth are blamed). Why can't mums just accept that sometimes, babies lose it for no apparent reason?! I keep hearing these ridiculous comments from people like "oh my baby started teething at 3 weeks but a tooth didn't come through for 8 months" - I do not subscribe to the idea that a baby teethes for months and months without actually cutting a tooth. I guess it just annoys me that people can't just say, yeah my kid is being a bit feral today and I don't know why! Personally, I think teeth don't really bother them until days or weeks before they start to cut... as the teeth are in their gums from birth so I don't think nature would be cruel enough to bother them for that long. And I think about when I was a child getting those big sucker molars you get around puberty or just before... they only hurt while they were coming through so I imagine it would be the same for babies.

Also, babies around 3 months naturally drool more. It's developmentally normal and does not necessarily indicate teeth. Same as chewing and sucking on things. Another developmental stage. I do think these things increase around teething but they are not soley indicators that your bub will get a tooth!

Please don't make abusive nasty comments, if you don't agree that's fine. I am actually just irritated that people need to make excuses for their kids behaviour... and I'm tired of people who don't know my baby saying I should give her panadol when she is upset because she is "teething" when I do not actually believe she is, yet.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I think people want to be able to have a reason for things. It's a natural coping mechanism to have a reason. I don't see much harm in a mum saying that her baby is teething when its not. It might be the very thing that stops her from throwing her child against the wall on that day. By having a reason - even if its not true, it is reassuring for the mother because she then has hope that tomorrow will be better.

So maybe its not such a stupid thing after all....

DP & I had a discussion about this today (DD2's being extremely irritable the last week or 2) and I completely 100% agree with you! She hasnt had any problems teething so far. 4 molars came through with no fussing at all! The rate they come through, they're bound to come at the same time as a cold, a tummy bug, a headache, or just not having a good day. It's all a guessing game really.

In saying that though, everytime DD1 cut a tooth, she got an ear infection sad so teething itself didnt bother her one bit, the ear infection after was the issue.

I think people want to be able to have a reason for things. It's a natural coping mechanism to have a reason. I don't see much harm in a mum saying that her baby is teething when its not. It might be the very thing that stops her from throwing her child against the wall on that day. By having a reason - even if its not true, it is reassuring for the mother because she then has hope that tomorrow will be better.

So maybe its not such a stupid thing after all....

I can see your point and it's not that big a deal. I just think it might help if we all stop expecting to always know the reasons our littlies are unsettled. Someone asked me once why DD was upset, I answered honestly "I don't know... could be anything!" and they said "you're her mother! You should know!" So I just think it isn't necessary to always have the answers! But yes, if the option is... a) blame it on something or cool throwing baby against the wall, I pick a!

can't figure out how to delete this, random

I'll admit I have said that I thought bub was going to teeth early because he started drooling at 1.5 months, and munching on things. And alot of other people have said that as well.

I've been ready the 'baby love' book and she says that teething does not cause fever, diarrhea, cold, coughs etc etc, they don't pull their ears, they don't get red cheeks because of teething. Sometime this stuff just happens to be present at the same time they actually are teething.

They drool because they cant swallow yet, red cheeks happen because of sun, wind, rubbing on clothes etc. Sleep is not affected by teething

"does teething cause babies dicomfort? Certainly not for 3 months before they are visible! Nor do they cause pain by 'moving aroun under the gum. An uncomfortable sensation just before the tooth emerges mayb worry some babies'

This been my first, obviously I am going to listen to people like my mum and mil cuz hey they've got 3 and 4 kids, they obviously know what they are talking about. According to this book, they clearly don't. I'm guessing that all this stuff is old wives tales that have been passed on for many many years. Apparently this book is like the bible to baby world, so I figure if people want to tell me stuff, I'll chose if I want to take it in or not, and then if I'm not sure I can refer to the book, and then make my own decision.

DP & I had a discussion about this today (DD2's being extremely irritable the last week or 2) and I completely 100% agree with you! She hasnt had any problems teething so far. 4 molars came through with no fussing at all! The rate they come through, they're bound to come at the same time as a cold, a tummy bug, a headache, or just not having a good day. It's all a guessing game really.

In saying that though, everytime DD1 cut a tooth, she got an ear infection sad so teething itself didnt bother her one bit, the ear infection after was the issue.

My mum said I got an ear infection every time as well. Glad you agree with me. I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, more just irritated that people need to justify a cranky baby, like it's some kind of reflection on the parents

I'll admit I have said that I thought bub was going to teeth early because he started drooling at 1.5 months, and munching on things. And alot of other people have said that as well.

I've been ready the 'baby love' book and she says that teething does not cause fever, diarrhea, cold, coughs etc etc, they don't pull their ears, they don't get red cheeks because of teething. Sometime this stuff just happens to be present at the same time they actually are teething.

They drool because they cant swallow yet, red cheeks happen because of sun, wind, rubbing on clothes etc. Sleep is not affected by teething

"does teething cause babies dicomfort? Certainly not for 3 months before they are visible! Nor do they cause pain by 'moving aroun under the gum. An uncomfortable sensation just before the tooth emerges mayb worry some babies'

This been my first, obviously I am going to listen to people like my mum and mil cuz hey they've got 3 and 4 kids, they obviously know what they are talking about. According to this book, they clearly don't. I'm guessing that all this stuff is old wives tales that have been passed on for many many years. Apparently this book is like the bible to baby world, so I figure if people want to tell me stuff, I'll chose if I want to take it in or not, and then if I'm not sure I can refer to the book, and then make my own decision.

I haven't read this book, but it sounds very similar to some of the material I have read.

My mum said I got an ear infection every time as well. Glad you agree with me. I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, more just irritated that people need to justify a cranky baby, like it's some kind of reflection on the parents

I get that smile

When new babies whinge alot for no reason, I like to think they just have an itch somewhere & it's annoying them coz they dont have the co-ordination to scratch it themselves laugh laugh
I don't think I ever said dd was teething when she wasn't... but have learned from my own experiences that people have funny ways of dealing with things, and not everything is as it seems sometimes.

Probably 70% of people just havnt thought things through - but then if you don't listen to what someone is saying you can miss the opportunity to help someone who needs it. I know for a fact that my family thought all was rosy in our little world when it absolutely wasn't! smile

I find it interesting when books or research or expects/Dr's say that teething doesn't cause red cheeks, fevers, drooling, nappy rash, the runs, coughs, runny nose or pull their ears. I find it interesting because when my DD is teething she does/gets all of those things for every single tooth that she has got. If it's just a coincidence that these things happen the same time she's getting a tooth, then that's one heck of a coincidence!

My DD started teething at 3 months, you could see the white of the tooth under the surface of the gum, and 4 days later it wasn't there, her cheeks were flushed and she was completely out of sorts. I know some people won't agree with me that my DD was teething but that's ok because I believe that she was smile
I agree OP! I too read the baby love book as a PP said and loved it smile everything gets put down to teething, I used to get so frustrated with people telling me to give bubba panadol!! There are so many reasons why my DD could play up and I had no prob saying I don't know why, it's just not a good day today!!

Sign in to follow this topic