Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Illegal immigrants. Lock Rss

Its a constant thing i see on the tv all the time. The boat people coming into the country.
This is a subject that gets me mad.
I am not sure legally how or what to do with the people trying to enter australia illegally.
I know one thing, if i tried to enter some countrys like they do, i woudnt even make it ashore!!
We seem to be a country with the word SUCKERS written on our foreheads.
We are feeding these people, clothing them, and giving them motel rooms(some with foxtel)!. And yet we have our own homeless people and kids starving. Its not right.
A solution is needed but not sure what it is.
I know they wouldnt make it on to dry land if it was me.
Harsh? Yes but alot of other countries dont seem to have the issues we do,and its because we keep letting them in.
Thanks for listening.
Hi Chloe, do you mean actual Illegal immigrants or asylum seekers/ refugees? they are very different situations...

As for homelessness in Australia, correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the govt provided social welfare like in NZ and homelessnes is usually despite this and for another reason outside the govts control eg drug or alcohol abuse.

Hi Chloe, do you mean actual Illegal immigrants or asylum seekers/ refugees? they are very different situations...

As for homelessness in Australia, correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the govt provided social welfare like in NZ and homelessnes is usually despite this and for another reason outside the govts control eg drug or alcohol abuse.

I am talking about people that try to enter the country illegally, not any other reason.
And yes the gov provide welfare, but there is constant need for money for food and clothing banks to help these kids and adults through no fault of there own are struggling and cant afford to eat. There are a lot of kids living on the street due to bad home environments and other reasons.
ok. I don't really know the back story so wont comment on the immigrant thing.

But I guess my point with govt was I believe in some cases there is only so far govt intervention can go. There is only so much the govt can take responsibility for, its not a 'nanny state'. I'm not saying its anyones fault they are hungry, or sick, just that the govt can't be blamed.
They’re actually refugees not “illegal immigrants”, and compared to other countries – many of which are much worse off than us, Australia takes a minute percentage of these PEOPLE. Poor African nations actually take in more refugees than Australia. What you probably don’t realise is that there are more people (from countries such as the UK) who illegally overstay their visas, than people who arrive here as “boat people”.

The reason why these people risk their lives and enter Australia illegally is because they have no other option. They have no Australian embassies in their countries, or it’s impossible for them to apply for a refugee visa because of the complex process.
If you haven’t watched it – I highly recommend watching “Go back to where you came from” – a 3 part documentary which was shown on SBS. It’s a real eye opener.

I think that Julia Gillard’s regional processing centre was actually a brilliant idea. It would take away the incentive (can’t think of another word) of coming here on a boat. Refugees could be sent there for processing and could then be sent to countries (not just Australia) that accept refugees. I disagree with people (and especially children) being held in detention for years. It achieves nothing. 97% of them are found to be genuine refugees anyway. It would be much better (especially for their mental health) and cheaper to house them in the community and allow them to work. And if their visas are rejected they could be sent back to their country.

They’re actually refugees not “illegal immigrants”, and compared to other countries – many of which are much worse off than us, Australia takes a minute percentage of these PEOPLE. Poor African nations actually take in more refugees than Australia. What you probably don’t realise is that there are more people (from countries such as the UK) who illegally overstay their visas, than people who arrive here as “boat people”.

The reason why these people risk their lives and enter Australia illegally is because they have no other option. They have no Australian embassies in their countries, or it’s impossible for them to apply for a refugee visa because of the complex process.
If you haven’t watched it – I highly recommend watching “Go back to where you came from” – a 3 part documentary which was shown on SBS. It’s a real eye opener.

I think that Julia Gillard’s regional processing centre was actually a brilliant idea. It would take away the incentive (can’t think of another word) of coming here on a boat. Refugees could be sent there for processing and could then be sent to countries (not just Australia) that accept refugees. I disagree with people (and especially children) being held in detention for years. It achieves nothing. 97% of them are found to be genuine refugees anyway. It would be much better (especially for their mental health) and cheaper to house them in the community and allow them to work. And if their visas are rejected they could be sent back to their country.

Call them what ever you want.
But they are coming here illegally, so they are ILEGAL.
So however you want to put it, do you think its ok then that they get foxtel, money, food and clothing and other little luxuries and some are housed in motels and ex military houses? But we have thousands of people here on the housing commission waiting list?
I respect your opinion and no matter how you put it i dont agree with how things are done. Simple.

So however you want to put it, do you think its ok then that they get foxtel, money, food and clothing and other little luxuries and some are housed in motels and ex military houses? But we have thousands of people here on the housing commission waiting list?
I respect your opinion and no matter how you put it i dont agree with how things are done. Simple.

Chloe..I agree! wink everyone has their opinions on this matter.

They're held in detention - they get the same things that prisoners do. I wouldn't call things like TV, food and clothes "luxuries" and I don't think the people waiting for housing commission accommodation would like to live in ex military barracks.
Have you ever seen what a detention centre looks like up close? The same as a minimum security prison. Yes you can move around the compound but you still can't go anywhere. If you've been subjected to years of political persecution or torture, that would really do your head in.

Its a constant thing i see on the tv all the time. The boat people coming into the country.
This is a subject that gets me mad.
I am not sure legally how or what to do with the people trying to enter australia illegally.
I know one thing, if i tried to enter some countrys like they do, i woudnt even make it ashore!!
We seem to be a country with the word SUCKERS written on our foreheads.
We are feeding these people, clothing them, and giving them motel rooms(some with foxtel)!. And yet we have our own homeless people and kids starving. Its not right.
A solution is needed but not sure what it is.
I know they wouldnt make it on to dry land if it was me.
Harsh? Yes but alot of other countries dont seem to have the issues we do,and its because we keep letting them in.
Thanks for listening.

The amount of boats and people arriving into Australia is not nearly as great as the media would have you believe. When it happens its a hot story so gets alot of coverage making the problem seem far greater than it is.

Illegal immigrants is a complex issue, we cannot change what is going on in their home countries and have to deal with them as they arrive in our country, in a humane way. People who risk their lives to travel here by boat are desperate, the situations they face in their homelands are desperate, they do not embark on this journey lightly - its done out of sheer desperation to stay alive.

I think you have a polarised view of the issue based on stories you have seen in the media. I dont know how any one can view this issue as black and white when its so complex and involves alot more than them coming here illegally, you have to look at why they are coming here - because we are a free country where they wont get shot or attacked and can live safely and have a peaceful life as opposed to living in a war torn country where they are subjected to all sorts of horror. They dont have many choices and personally I'm happy to have more refugees. When you hear their stories and understand what they have been through, if you cannot show them some compassion then I think you are pretty heartless.

From a humanitarium point of view we simply cannot ship them back to where they came from because they arrived without a visa, what kind of country would that make us - barbaric.

I'd also recommend watching the SBS documentary that Cruxy mentioned, it is just heart breaking what these families go through.
I'm with Cruxy and Happyhead.

And it was only a short while ago that my opinion changed from the one the OP has shared to my current one. It was due to to a series on SBS (maybe it was the one cruzy mentioned??). Several 'racist' Aussies went to the countries where these 'illegal' immigrants came from and witnessed the way they lived. Omg. It brought me to tears and really humbled me. Here I was, sitting in my nice house with my nice lifestyle, judging these 'awful' people who risk their own lives and their children's just GETTING on those boats because their situation is so bleak and painful that risking life is worth it...so much pain. sad sad Not only that, but mate, if my children were in the situation that some of those parents see their children in, I would do the exact same thing. I'd do anything to give my children a better chance than the chances many of those people get. And I wouldn't stress about foxtel etc, I'm pretty sure that doesn't cost taxpayers a large amount...it would be given at a subsidised (if not free) fee.

I now spend more time discussing and being concerned about how many millions of dollars AUSTRALIAN's lifestyle choices (and consequently diseases due to smoking, drinking, obesity etc) are costing our government...in the end, the large majority of us are immigrants, are we not? I'm one of those horrid Kiwi's who moved to Aussie and has lived here for 11 years under permanent residency, but not as a citizen...laugh
dont forget the backpackers who over stay their visas

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I am sorry but if you come into our country and get given food,clothing , shelter etc basically a better living standard then you have ever had you do not go around destroying buildings, starting riots and fires just because you don't get given what you want.
I think the first step to fixing the problem is to start prosecuting the people bringing them here instead of saying they will.
Sign in to follow this topic