Huggies Forum

Another DOCS failure - update Lock Rss

Is anyone else sick of reading stories such as this? Seriously, if someone is known to DOCS shouldn’t their next baby be closely monitored? And do the agencies in different states even communicate with each other? How many more kids have to die?
i'm not even going to read the article i find it to hard especially now being hormonal/emotional.

i am really passionate about this (childrens rights and child protection) that i'm studying at the moment a degree that will eventually lead to a job with DoCS in child protection.

i can't understand how anyone could hurt/neglect such an innocent and precious thing as a child. it's truly horrible.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

angry

This makes me so mad!!!

I know a girl from high school who has a 3 year old in care and is pregnant again...She has not changed one bit.

Gives other teenage parents such a bad name too !!!

Is anyone else sick of reading stories such as this? Seriously, if someone is known to DOCS shouldn’t their next baby be closely monitored? And do the agencies in different states even communicate with each other? How many more kids have to die?

The problem is that removal is an absolute last resort most of the time, and even then the child will usually get returned. Permanent removal is very rare. I heard 2 interviews on the radio on the issue of adoption and the damage to kids when they are not given the chance to be adopted out of their family, because the family will always be given chances to change.

I never realised how the system worked until I tried to help 3 abused children. I was virtually laughed at because of the minor nature of the offences (not minor at all but in relative terms compared to that there are worse parents out there). I had only seen depressed parents who couldn't cope with their kids getting them removed and then returned, I never realised that actual abused kids were put in danger so much <span class="emoticon sad">sad</span>
Ok one thing about this article. It doesn't say that he and the mum of the 3 year old were together at the time when the 3 year old was placed in Foster care, for all we know he may have not even been around when the 3 year old was taken after all he was only 16 when the baby was born.

DOCS do a wonderful job and they are very under staffed.
This article doesn't even begin to delve into the actual nature of the family unit, nor the cause of death of the baby.

Like PP said, these places try their damndest but there just isn't enough funding or staffing to get on top of every situation, as horrible and sad as that is..

And like PP said, was this 3yr old even part of that family? They only mention the male as the father... so what role did the teenage mother play in it all?

Yes the agencies communicate with each other, but with so little funding and staff and such a mammoth task, there's only so much they can do.

A godawful situation tho sad

Apparently the baby died of "multiple injuries".

If DOCS do such a wonderful job why are so many kids, from families known to them, dying? There was another case only a few months ago where a baby died after his mother put methadone in his bottle so he would sleep.

I know they're understaffed - all government agencies are, but why can't someone come up with a better system so that all the states and different agencies can communicate with each other more effectively. We had another casein Adelaide not long ago - fortunately the kids are still alive - but god only knows what kind of emotional problems they're left with. The family had moved to Adelaide from Victoria (I think) where they were known to DOCS. We're not talking about isolated cases.
It's just so terrible sad
If only you had to go thru psychological and health testing before having a baby...

I feel outrage too, but also helplessness because there's only so much that can be done even tho that shouldn't be the case.

I think what we need to remember is that anyone, any agency including DOCS can only do the best they can with what they have. It's very easy for all of us to judge the situation but we had no involvement in it and we don't know the facts. All we know is what is reported by the media who love to sensationalise and leave key information out of it. In fact even they wouldn't know exactly what happened.

As for what to do to make it better, who knows. But I came across a great quote today. It said No complaints please just requests. I think we need to remember that. We can complain as much as we like but if we don't have any solutions then what's the point?

Apparently the baby died of "multiple injuries".

If DOCS do such a wonderful job why are so many kids, from families known to them, dying? There was another case only a few months ago where a baby died after his mother put methadone in his bottle so he would sleep.

I know they're understaffed - all government agencies are, but why can't someone come up with a better system so that all the states and different agencies can communicate with each other more effectively. We had another casein Adelaide not long ago - fortunately the kids are still alive - but god only knows what kind of emotional problems they're left with. The family had moved to Adelaide from Victoria (I think) where they were known to DOCS. We're not talking about isolated cases.

I agree Cruxy, the system needs changing. I have also heard recently that there is a massive overhaul of the system happening, or maybe recently has already happened, due to a number of top priority cases not being followed up on due to business issues, understaffing etc
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/authorities-knew-of-alleged-abuser/story-e6frea6u-1226264137186
Sign in to follow this topic