Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Has anyone heard about the new food bill in NZ?

Has anyone heard about the new food bill in NZ? Rss

http://dprogram.net/2011/11/24/new-food-bill-in-new-zealand-takes-away-human-right-to-grow-food/

http://blog.greens.org.nz/2011/09/13/food-bill-update-from-sue-kedgley/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/5601333/Food-safety-backlash-stuns-government

Basically, its currently covering everything from home gardeners, to small producers, to seed saving networks, heirloom seeds, community swaps, to roadside stalls, to organic producers and then the big farmers as well. It essentially means it will all be illegal (as it currently stands) unless you have specific permission to do so. (undoubtedly this will cost money to get a permit)

This is the first I have heard of it. Can any NZ shed some light?

Everyone else should be aware of it, it is likely to happen in Australia too down the track.

Anyone else concerned with gov control over food/water/seeds.... once they start handing out permits to grow food, its a very slippery slope....
This sounds absolutely rediculous. I can't beleive how far the governments are prepared to go. Thank goodness I live in Australia but as you say if NZ does something like that then it wouldn't be too long before Aussie governments would try to cash in and try to have more say in what we can do in our own backyards.
I absolutely hate what our governments are doing regarding to food production. They seem perfectly happy to watch all our Aussie food producing land be sold off to other countries. We shouldn't be importing any fresh produce. Our farmers produce the best quality food and then don't get supported by Aussie government to sell locally. You only have to look at Kubota Chick's terrible story to see how bad things really are.
I also hate seeing how the wonderful heirloom seeds are getting lost through the generations. Some of the vegetables are absolutely wonderful and the best flavour.
I hate to think how things will be in the future for food production sad
Ummmm revenue raising at its best. That is just disgusting! What about poor oldies on a pension like my grandparents who spend moat of their time in their vegie patch? My poppa lives and breathes produce.... he would be devistated. I hope Aussie doesn't grab that one and run.... wouldn't surprise me with ms gillard but.

What is going on in NZ? Have your politicians been smoking wacky tobacky or something? Banning veggie patches and digging tunnels through mountains to pristine areas?
And they wonder why 50 000 Kiwis move to Australia every year.
blink Sounds absolutely ridiculous

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

Ummmm revenue raising at its best. That is just disgusting! What about poor oldies on a pension like my grandparents who spend moat of their time in their vegie patch? My poppa lives and breathes produce.... he would be devistated. I hope Aussie doesn't grab that one and run.... wouldn't surprise me with ms gillard but.

I think they will be allowed to grow their own....but according to these rules not give produce away, not sell it and he won't be able to buy seeds or plants unless the person has a permit. Looks like seed saving will be an essential skill to have!

Even if this doesn't go through now, it means there are people that do genuinely think its a good idea. There are big companies trying to push it through and in the states as well. (of course!) I just can't comprehend how actual real living people with brains and hearts are happy to sign life away to companies and governments.
I agree that this bill is absolutely ridiculous. It is just revenue gathering. But I think most people aren't reading it correctly. They want to restrict how people sell their home grown vegies. Make people apply for permits to show that their food is safe etc. What it is going to do is harm the saturday/sunday farmers market culture. A lot of the people we visit on saturday at the market grow their organic veges at home and sell them. They don't make huge amounts of profit, so if they have to start paying for permits, they just aren't going to bother in the first place.

ps. I hope everyone in NZ have voted or going to vote today smile

Hmmm, I can't say I've heard much about this at all. Actually this is the first I've heard of it.

Sorry I can't shed more light on this one, I don't recall anything being on the news lately.

Will be interesting to see how this bill plays out and if it's passed. Will keep you guys informed when I hear more though smile

That's the whhole point...they are trying to pass it with as few people knowing about it as possible. I mean you can't oppose won't you don't know about can you? angry

I've only skimmed it, so have no idea what most of it says...but am going to have a look.

It makes me furious that a government is trying to restrict exactly what experts say is best for our health, economy and culture- eat locally, eat seasonally, eat fresh and share resources within your own community.

If this bill became law it would have HUGE repercussions. It should be called the Supermarket Monopoly Bill.
I can't believe this angry

But on a lighter note, when i read about it i got a picture of little grannies selling 'underground' apples and teens slipping each other packets of carrot seeds in the school halls...

I agree that this bill is absolutely ridiculous. It is just revenue gathering. But I think most people aren't reading it correctly. They want to restrict how people sell their home grown vegies. Make people apply for permits to show that their food is safe etc. What it is going to do is harm the saturday/sunday farmers market culture. A lot of the people we visit on saturday at the market grow their organic veges at home and sell them. They don't make huge amounts of profit, so if they have to start paying for permits, they just aren't going to bother in the first place.

ps. I hope everyone in NZ have voted or going to vote today smile

From what I was reading it isn't just about selling it, it will affect swaps, selling/swapping seeds and community gardens. It has nothing to do with safety. How many incidences are there of people getting ill from home grown vegies? Whenever people get sick its usually processed foods or takeaway.
Sign in to follow this topic