Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. What do you think about the new immunisation incentive?

What do you think about the new immunisation incentive? Lock Rss

They are scrapping the MIA and replacing it with giving you your end of year supplement for family tax a. If your child is not totally up to date with their vaxs at age 1, 2 and 4 I think it is - they will withhold the money you already get. Apparently its a new incentive to get raise vax rates. To me its taking away the carrot and getting a bigger stick. Their way of marketing it is a little sneaky...... aiming it at raising vax rates and not really going into everyone losing their current incentive.
I don't really see the point. Most people that don't vaccinate their kids do it because they have made an informed decision to not get it done and I am led to believe from all the information I have heard and read about that if they get something signed by their Dr. they will still recieve it.

I am all for vaccinating my kids and I don't do it for "profit" so I don't think you should get any money to start with.

I don't really see the point. Most people that don't vaccinate their kids do it because they have made an informed decision to not get it done and I am led to believe from all the information I have heard and read about that if they get something signed by their Dr. they will still recieve it.

I am all for vaccinating my kids and I don't do it for "profit" so I don't think you should get any money to start with.

I agree! I think those that do it, do it cos they are pro vax and those that don't will still not do it due to their reasons (the majority of people anyway).

I'll put my personal opinion out there which is It won't make a difference to me anyway tongue

OC, I haven't heard this yet - are they saying they would withhold the whole payment (ftb and immunisation money)??

My understanding is the immunisation money (maternity immunisation allowance) will be scrapped completely. You will still get the family tax part a as normal. However at the end of the year when your kid is 1,2 and 4 (i think they were the ages) you need to either have on record that your kid is TOTALLY up to date with ALL jabs, or a Concientious objector form signed or medical exemption. This means if you do selective vax or delayed you will need a CO form as well as your vax record. (which they should have anyway)

I think it is to try and keep people up to date, not so much encourage those that choose not to. Its really just a good way to disguise they are getting rid of the other payment.
I think that the money is an incentive for those parents who are too lazy to get their children immunised or couldn't be stuffed educating them selves on the pros and cons of it all. I know a lot of parents who don't get their children immunised for that reason who will be first in line so they can get the money.

I think it is to try and keep people up to date, not so much encourage those that choose not to. Its really just a good way to disguise they are getting rid of the other payment.

Hmm they're clever, aren't they? tongue prob a good thing though, just hope they use the money they save on paying MIA wisely!!

They are scrapping the MIA and replacing it with giving you your end of year supplement for family tax a. If your child is not totally up to date with their vaxs at age 1, 2 and 4 I think it is - they will withhold the money you already get. Apparently its a new incentive to get raise vax rates. To me its taking away the carrot and getting a bigger stick. Their way of marketing it is a little sneaky...... aiming it at raising vax rates and not really going into everyone losing their current incentive.

I think it's disgusting. It's sneaky and will probably encourage those who are not informed about their options to vax without researching what is best for their children's individual needs.

I can't see it changing anyone's mind who has chosen to not vax or delay vax after research though. The government can't buy my choice.

And if you can have a signed CO form (which i've needed for daycare for ages) and still get the payment what difference does it really make?
wow money incentive for vaccinating your kids?? thats crazy!

I think it's disgusting. It's sneaky and will probably encourage those who are not informed about their options to vax without researching what is best for their children's individual needs.

I think numerous studies have done that research for them smile

Apparently they're going to change the immunisation schedule and some of the vaccines though, and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine will now be combined with the MMR.
I didn't even know there was an MIA until I actually saw the money in the bank and had to call centrelink ti find out what it was for blink
as the mother of a child who school just been informed of the second case of whooping cough in one month. this has just pissed me off as it is something i should not have to deal with as a mother who chose to vax. I think you should get nothing if you chose not to vax. The govt should give money to those that vax and ones that have a medical reason not to. if it was up to me i would be fining parents that chose not to. a bit like if you don't have private insurance and earn over a selected income bracket.
Sign in to follow this topic