Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. telling the kids there is no Santa

telling the kids there is no Santa Lock Rss

So DH and I have decided to tell the kids santa isnt real. DS1 is nearly 2 so doesnt understand but DS2 is going on 4. This is the first year he has started asking questions but im finding it hard to explain that he isnt real lol.

They tell the kids at day care that he is real than when he comes home I say he isnt real poor kids confused! I just keep saying that he is just a charachter in a book or on t.v but he doesnt really come to our house and give our presies etc.

Also random people saying "are you being a good boy for santa?" than me 10sec later saying that he isnt real.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm not currently considering telling my girls that Santa is not real - I will wait until they work it out for themselves, just like I did! My DD1 occasionally asks me questions, and I don't lie to her, but I may misdirect her, or answer with another question so she can give it some thought for herself. I think they will find out for themselves eventually, but I'm not in a hurry to speed it along because I enjoy the whole Santa thing - but I would never actually lie to them and say he is real!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

I have been wondering about this, not that it is something we will have to deal with for a little while though.

I don't think I ever really believed in santa when I was a kid, and I'm not a very christmassey person. Enjoy the day itself but don't go crazy for the lead up.

DP wants to go the whole hog- have grandad dress up as santa and all. I kind of am leaning towards celebrating christmas but not the whole santa thing.

Sorry lol what a pointless post. Just wanted to say I don't think what you are doing is wrong, but I can imagine that it will be hard with all the conflicting information being given to your kids.
thanks ladies, forgot to say we arent really going out of our way to say he isnt realy just when he makes comments about him like "what times santa coming to our house" lol that we will say santa isnt real and mummy and daddy are the ones that buy gifts etc.

I believed in santa for so long and was guttered when I found out he wasnt real felt like an idiot lol

oh no poor you!

I think I will prob try do the same as you guys are, if DP lets me!!! laugh
aw why?? sad

Believing in Santa was one of the best parts of my childhood!!

Each to their own but this makes me sad - I want to keep my DD believing in him till she's 30 laugh

my DD and 3years and 8months and this is the first year she has been super excited that santa is coming....so i won't be telling her santa isn't real just yet.

i think we will just keep it going till she figures it out, as for our family santa is part of the magic of xmas smile

My 4 year old is too smart for his own good lol. I want him to believe in Santa for a long time to come but when he was waiting for his photo with him he announced "That's just a man dressed up as Santa, Mum!" I wasn't quite sure what to say as I dont like lying to him about things when he asks but I don't want him to miss out on the magic! He seems to believe now though and wrote him a letter, got one in return etc. so I'll just see how he goes on Christmas day. Sorry bit of a ramble not really to do with OP... But I guess what I'm trying to say is I definitely want my kids to beleive for a while yet!

Just out of curiosity, do you do the easter bunny and tooth fairy?

aw why?? sad

Each to their own but this makes me sad - I want to keep my DD believing in him till she's 30 laugh

Ditto smile

aw why?? sad

I agree, its a magical part of childhood, I'm going to milk it for all its worth.

aw why?? sad

I agree. It is such a magical time of year I can't wait to see my DS's face when he sees that 'santa' has been!

We made my little brother pretend that he still believed well into his teens so we all still got 'santa presents"!! It only stopped when we started going out drinking on xmas eve smile smile

My 4 year old is too smart for his own good lol. I want him to believe in Santa for a long time to come but when he was waiting for his photo with him he announced "That's just a man dressed up as Santa, Mum!" I wasn't quite sure what to say as I dont like lying to him about things when he asks but I don't want him to miss out on the magic! He seems to believe now though and wrote him a letter, got one in return etc. so I'll just see how he goes on Christmas day. Sorry bit of a ramble not really to do with OP... But I guess what I'm trying to say is I definitely want my kids to beleive for a while yet!

Just out of curiosity, do you do the easter bunny and tooth fairy?

No easter bunny or tooth fairy here smile

People seem to get the ***$ when I say we dont do santa lol.

Christmas is about other things to us and we want to make the focus on those things rather than a fat man in a red suit who gives presents too all the children around the world in 24hours tongue Like someone else said each to their own smile

Sign in to follow this topic