Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Just need to vent! Lock Rss

Growing up and until I met my husband, I struggled with very low confidence and low self esteem. My sister was (and still is) exactly the same. We know it has a lot to do with our childhood although we hold no resentment towards our parents for what happened.

I have made a decision to try and get into uni next year. Just making that decision is a huge step forward for me and I'm really excited.....and nervous.

Until today when I mentioned it in conversation to my father. His reply....you???? At uni ...followed by laughter sad

So now my small amount of confidence has been completely shattered and I am back to feeling that their is no point as it's likely that i will fail it all anyway.

Sorry, thats my sob story for the night smile

Growing up and until I met my husband, I struggled from very low confidence and low self esteem. My sister was (and still is) exactly the same. We know it has a lot to do with our childhood although we hold no resentment towards our parents for what happened.

I have made a decision to try and get into uni next year. Just making that decision is a huge step forward for me and I'm really excited.....and nervous.

Until today when I mentioned it in conversation to my father. His reply....you???? At uni ...followed by laughter sad

So now my small amount of confidence has been completely shattered and I an back to feeling that their is no point as it's likely that i will fail it all anyway.

Sorry, thats my sob story for the night smile

Don't you dare feel like that! You can't change how others act but you can change how you react. Use his insensitive remark ( which sounds like it stems from his own insecurities) to put a fire in your belly to prove him wrong.

There is no failure in trying but there is in never giving anything a go.

Good luck and go for it girl!
No wonder you have no self esteem!

I would smile at him and say, "What? You don't think someone that was raised by YOU could possibly go to Uni?" But, I dislike my Father immensely and have no trouble telling him so.

You just show him wrong...You're raising 3 kids from memory? If you can do that you can do anything!!!!
When I started uni, my parents told me they would give me $50 for every Distinction - thinking I wouldn't get any... well I guess they were a bit surprised when I only got distinctions and high distinctions (it was a 3 year degree) - so their scepticism cost them a fair bit of money.

I can’t really think of anything inspirational to say (it’s 12:20 am, I’ve been up since 7am and got home from work a couple of hours ago) – so I’d just like to share this with you <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
Well after some sleep and waking up to all your lovely words im feeling a little bit better so thankyou smile

It's funny how our parents have the ability to make us feel like we are children again sometimes.

Hopefully I follow through with this whole thing and use his negativity to add to my determination (much easier said then done). Cruxy that's awesome bet you had a nice amount at the end wink

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me smile
Don't get sad, get MAD and use it as fuel to motivate you to do exactly what he thinks you can't. You go girl!!
You know what.... I had low self esteem for my teenage years and my early 20s, I couldn't even hold a conversation with someone I wasnt close to, or look people in the eye.

I'm 26 now and having completed my course and learned so much about myself along the way has made me one of the most confident women around. I have learned that I can so ANYTHING that I put my mind to, I am determined, and it is this passion that you put into things that helps you achieve whatever you want. I'm not particularly intelligent, just average... and im proud of what ive done in my life so far.

Achieving this will help you skyrocket into a place of confidence, its an awesome step forward and it'll change your life. Don't let ANYONE take that away from you.

Generally people only put others down because that person makes them feel small/intelligent or insecure in some way. So your dad obviously feels hes a dumb *** and you make him feel threatened. smile

Might add that when people from my past pop up, like people that I went to school with I seem to revert straight back to my old self. I'm getting better at it and hope to kick it to the curb once and for all... but I understand what you mean when you say parents make you feel like children again. Mine do too.

Believe in yourself!

No wonder you have low self esteem with comments like that from your Dad!
I believe that if you put your mind to it you will do well. Good on you for wanting to better yourself and added bonus prove your dad wrong grin

Don't let what he did/say stop you.

I'm like you i have little confindence in my self. Thanks to the kids i went to school with. Thanks to hubby i went & got my licence and learning to make mosaic & candles plus soap. It another reason why i don't trust people because they put you/me down to make themselves feel better about themselves

It hurts more when it comes from your own family.
Now go & get your degree in something that you want.

Sign in to follow this topic