Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

What would your reaction be? Lock Rss

If a teacher or child care provider told you they thought you should get your child 'assessed' for developmental type delays (ie ASD, ADHD etc)?

I've spoken with others and found peope seem to be 50/50 with 'leave my child alone' and 'maybe I should do what the teacher suggests'

It's something we've beeen confronted with. We had our child assessed. I'm curious though what you think you would do?
I guess it would depend on how it was said to me! What tone etc. Also how much faith you have in that teacher.

If my kid's kindy teacher said it to me I would probably take her advice and get my child assessed!

If I had any feelings that they were right then I would take their advice but if I thought they were way off the mark then no, I don't think so.
I think I'd have to accept the judgement of a person who works with other children and probably has more experience than me at recognizing behaviours and traits common with ADHD or asd. I guess once someone had made the suggestion I probably wouldn't rest easy until I'd had them assessed and I'd have to assume the worker had my child's best interest at heart.

How did the assessment go?

I think I'd have to accept the judgement of a person who works with other children and probably has more experience than me at recognizing behaviours and traits common with ADHD or asd. I guess once someone had made the suggestion I probably wouldn't rest easy until I'd had them assessed and I'd have to assume the worker had my child's best interest at heart.

Exactly smile well said

First we had Each Other, Then we had You, Now we have Everything

But I also think as parents sometimes we don't want to see things

For instance I was in complete denial about my son. For some reason I agreed to get him assessed - I think to try and prove them wrong more than anything lol but when his speech assess came back I was blown away by how far off the mark I was. His speech was fine but other areas of hislanguage development were so lagging. I think i was more disappointed my radar had been so wrong.

At the same time ... Boys (in particular) take a little longer to mature I've found. So where is that line ?? I'm interested to hear others stories.
From a teacher's perspective, we don't make these suggestions lightly. We understand that it is horribly confronting and upsetting to suggest to a parent that there may be a problem with their child sad

I know when I have to suggest to a parent that their child be assessed for whatever reason I try to be as respectful and caring as possible. We honestly have the child's best interests at heart. It is awesome when the tests come back showing no or only a minor problem! But it is also beneficial to have a proper diagnosis if there is a problem.

It is very frustrating when parents become very defensive and refuse to give permission for the assessments or don't turn up to the appointments, especially when you know there would be help available that could make the child's school life so much easier if they were 'diagnosed' (for want of a better word).

this is how I think now after being through it ... Beforehand I must admit I did get my 'back up' though.
We've had a big array of tests done (speech, hearing, OT and psych). The kindy teacher was on the mark in my sons case. He has auditory processing delays. He is going into grade 1 this year and doing great cause we've worked hard to help Strengthen his learning weaknesses.
On the other hand I've come across other parents propositioned the same way as we were who chose not to assess. I respect their stance too.

this is how I think now after being through it ... Beforehand I must admit I did get my 'back up' though.
We've had a big array of tests done (speech, hearing, OT and psych). The kindy teacher was on the mark in my sons case. He has auditory processing delays. He is going into grade 1 this year and doing great cause we've worked hard to help Strengthen his learning weaknesses.
On the other hand I've come across other parents propositioned the same way as we were who chose not to assess. I respect their stance too.

Yeah I can totally understand automatically getting your back up, no one wants to hear that from a teacher. I'm sure I'd feel the same way too. It's great that you went ahead with it and have been able to find out what you can do to help him.

My friend recently went through this with her sons preschool, they were concerned about him going to kindy next year and she had started the assessment process twice but didn't seem to follow through with it. I guess it's confronting as a parent but it's not fair on those kids who might not get the help they need that could make all the difference.
I would definitely get DS assessed if told it might be a good idea. Most teachers know what they are talking about.
I also already know that there is a possibility there may be some problems for DS in the future. While he is doing very well at the moment we have some problems that run in the family. My brother has Aspergers, one of my BILs has ADHD and Dyslexia, and aother two in the family have dyslexia as well. Thankfully DH and I have managed to dodge the bullet but you never know about DS.

I can understand why people would get defensive about that sort of thing though. No one wants to think there is something 'wrong' with their child.
But I don't understand why you wouldn't get them tested if it was suggested to you. Why risk your childs education and therefore future because you are in denial?

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

I agree, teachers don't make these suggestions willy nilly- there has to be good reason for them to suggest it to parents and it's always because the teachers care about the child's well-being and want them to get help if they need it smile

I understand it can be confronting and worrying but the best thing to do is get the assessment done, that way you either know there's nothing needed or you get your diagnosis and can access assistance.

It is very frustrating when parents become very defensive and refuse to give permission for the assessments or don't turn up to the appointments, especially when you know there would be help available that could make the child's school life so much easier if they were 'diagnosed' (for want of a better word).

Everyone here has said so far they WOULD get their child assessed.

I personally know a family who got angry about it and demanded all recommendations for assessment be stripped from school records.
Sign in to follow this topic