Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. why are really old posts getting dragged up?

why are really old posts getting dragged up? Lock Rss

I've been sucked in a few times lately thinking that the post is new and advising someone that has long since gone. Even one from 2009! I've seen a couple of my posts dragged up lately too.... its annoying.

Hey Chalys.
Its usually new members i think who are just looking through old pages and post something on there that is years old.
Like the topic underneath which is from 2008!

I've been sucked in a few times lately thinking that the post is new and advising someone that has long since gone. Even one from 2009! I've seen a couple of my posts dragged up lately too.... its annoying.

It's even more annoying when its for advertising purposes... Like yesterday when the whole first page was filled with ancient threads about 'evening primrose oil'... :z
Yep its just plain annoying really. Would be good if old OLD posts could be read only. If a new member wants to discuss it I'm quite sure it would be ok to start a new post... and we would all be happy to discuss it as a new topic.

Yes ive noticed that too. I generally don't open them as they have like 5000 views which is not normal for a new post.

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

I've notice that too.

I actually notice that some of the post the members have left and then i look at the date. I've nearly replied until i notice these 2 things.

People also do a search on google and old topics come up. Generally new people aren't familiar with the site and don't realize that these posts are old.

Took me ages to figure out this site (technically retarded) and to click on the forum activity button to het the most recent topics. Took ages to actually start replying to anything too.

Took me ages to figure out this site (technically retarded) and to click on the forum activity button to het the most recent topics. Took ages to actually start replying to anything too.

I was like that too.
Also on the note of having old posts as read only, sometimes when people do start a topic they get told "sorry hun but this topic had been done to death" so then where would they go? I find that quite rude but it's usually by members who havn't been on here long. Ive been a member since 2009 and do more reading than posting.

Maybe if people just point out to the new member the way the site works.

Or... It should show you the date it was originally posted, like where it has member name, views, replies etc. That way you know its old before you click on it and only go into it if its something that interests you or you know was bumped up for a reason. I have also seen posts on here before by old members complaining that new members keep posting about topics that have been done.... I don't think that's fair either. We are all mums/dads or mums/dads to be, so I would think that it would be expected that the same things are constantly posted...
A lot of forums actually prefer that someone would search to check for a similar topic before posting a new one. But the politics of huggies is such that members don't like old things being dragged up.

If you think about it, it really makes more sense to add to an old post then continue from there. I would prefer it that way, then the forum could be kind of like an archive of information and conversation and things would be put forward straight away that are new and it would prevent repetition or the same things being said over and over.

But the advertising or someone posting an irrelevant comment at the bottom of a page... that is completely annoying.

And it took me ages to notice the current activity and recent posts part of the forum, I didn't know it was filtered like that so maybe others have the same trouble?
But the people here are transient, and people have different views and ideas on certain topics. So if old threads were made as a read only thread (not the actual topic itself) you'd still be able to start a new thread on it.

I just don't see the point of dragging up the old ones when that OP is long gone and doesn't benefit from getting more added to thier post. I get sucked into it because I'm thinking I'm advising the op on a question and then feel like I've just wasted my time because that person won't even see it.

Sign in to follow this topic