Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Super dumb cooking question Lock Rss

Alright alright, please don't laugh at me!

Can someone please tell me how I cook apples and pears so that they are soft enough that I can mash them up...

I'm thinking I would need to peel them, cut the core out then boil them??

Help meeeeee laugh laugh
Lol that's what I have done in the past but only cos I didn't ask wink but yep, I'd say yes!

Lol that's what I have done in the past but only cos I didn't ask wink but yep, I'd say yes!

Lol thanks, it seemed to make sense but thought I'd better check grin
Yep! smile

When I need to do a few different fruits or alot of one I use my steamer pots. I put one lot in the bottom with the boiling water and the other lot in top with the steam. Both work just as well as the other. I think that boiling keeps more of the nutrients in though. But if you were to taste them you wouldn't know the difference between steaming and boiling

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I always steam fruit and veg for DD as steaming keeps in more of the nutrients. Sorry to contradict Noddy, but boiling actually leeches out the nutrients. smile

I leave the peel on apples and pears but core them and then sit them in the steamer peel down until nice and soft. Then I just peel away the skin and mash up the flesh with a fork. Yum!

Thanks, I was going to say I thought steaming is better than boiling smile

Will give that a go with the skin on aswell, might have to eat some myself haha

I always steam fruit and veg for DD as steaming keeps in more of the nutrients. Sorry to contradict Noddy, but boiling actually leeches out the nutrients. smile

I leave the peel on apples and pears but core them and then sit them in the steamer peel down until nice and soft. Then I just peel away the skin and mash up the flesh with a fork. Yum!

Really! Im glad you corrected me! Lol. I thought it was that the juice leaked out in the steamer it would drain off but in the boiling it stews. In its own juice while it cooks. I can't remember who told me that. I feel stupid for believing it. Lol.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Really! Im glad you corrected me! Lol. I thought it was that the juice leaked out in the steamer it would drain off but in the boiling it stews. In its own juice while it cooks. I can't remember who told me that. I feel stupid for believing it. Lol.

No Noddy you are right, you actually stew apples not boil them, boiling is filling a pot full of water cooking them then draining, stewing is cutting them up adding a tablespoon or so of water and cooking them, so stewing them it is better than steaming.
With vegies it is best to steam them than boil as the nutrients seep into the water, but if cooking fruit stewing it in it's own juices is best.

No Noddy you are right, you actually stew apples not boil them, boiling is filling a pot full of water cooking them then draining, stewing is cutting them up adding a tablespoon or so of water and cooking them, so stewing them it is better than steaming.
With vegies it is best to steam them than boil as the nutrients seep into the water, but if cooking fruit stewing it in it's own juices is best.

This is how my mum taught me to stew apples, they dont take very long at all so dont leave them in to long smile,

Sign in to follow this topic