Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

calling all teachers Rss

Please forgive my rudeness in asking....but what kind of take home money do you get for full time teaching and relief teaching?
I'm in NZ, I'm at the top of the scale. My salary is $71,000 and I clear about $1000 a week (after tax and union payment - I don't have a student loan any more). I've been looking into relief teaching and you clear about $239 a day, so just under $1200 a week - but that is assuming you get all 5 days and there is no holiday pay.
As for Australia, I don't know! I do know that my friend moved there last year and is getting paid more for doing part time than I am getting for full time.
Hi

I also live in NZ.

I am currently a relief teacher, I am relieving in Early Childhood over the Christmas break and get $24 and hour + 8% holiday pay.

As a reliever in Primary Schools I have hit the max scale salary I can get as a reliever with my qualification (BEd Teaching) which is $55621 before tax. Because you don't get paid weekends & holidays like a full time teacher, what they do is take your salary step & divide it by how many school days (190, which means I get $292.75 per day before tax, student loan, kiwi saver & union fees. As a full time teacher I would be on a higher rate, but with heaps more stress and they work out my daily rate by dividing my annual salary by 365 days, so I would get paid for everyday.

My DH and I have worked out that we can pay the mortgage and live comfortable with him working full time and me doing 3 days a week. So to prepare for school holidays or weeks I don't get 3 days, the money from working a 4 or 5 day goes into an account to help with those quiet weeks. However, I only ever get maybe 4 days off a term & those are days I choose not to work. Plus I have also been finding work in the school holidays to help too. Which means we are now actually better of financially, also I am happy & not stresses. Win win.
Sorry, I forgot to say I am a High School teacher.
thanks guys....anyone in Auz?
In Oz (I'm in QLD) you get $300+ per day for supply (relief) teaching (before tax)- I haven't done supply in ages so don't know exact amount.

I teach 3 days a week (permanent part time employed) and I take home $1200 fortnightly after tax, so around $200 a day in my hand.

Contract teaching is a little more than that.

ps I'm in a public primary school- private school teachers are generally paid LESS.
I'm in WA, relief is about $300 a day before tax. I'm a senior teacher (reached a certain level then did some extra training) and full time would bring home about $88, 000 a year before tax (I'm part time currently though).
wow.... teachers are getting better conditions than nurses are! Maybe I should be switching career...

I have a couple of teacher friends (high school) and I only now realise how HARD teachers work. So much time at night marking and preparing classes and also preparing assignments and tests during the "holidays". I used to think teachers were lazy (and only worked from 9am to 3pm and only on school days) but now I reckon they are underpaid and unfortunately most of the good teachers end up leaving the profession to make money elsewhere...

PS. the salaries for NSW are here eg.
Four-year-trained teacher (eg BEd, BA/BTeach) –
Salary Step 5 $56,829 for 2011

http://sydney.edu.au/education_social_work/future_students/careers/teacher_salaries.shtml

I have a couple of teacher friends (high school) and I only now realise how HARD teachers work. So much time at night marking and preparing classes and also preparing assignments and tests during the "holidays". I used to think teachers were lazy (and only worked from 9am to 3pm and only on school days) but now I reckon they are underpaid and unfortunately most of the good teachers end up leaving the profession to make money elsewhere...

You wouldn't believe how many people put you down as soon as you say you're a teacher. People always say 'those that can't do teach' WTH?!? Another thing I get is people who say 'such-and-such gets to work teacher's hours' in a knowing way, I always reply with 'oh the poor thing!'
On average I would usually work 55+ hours a week (I'm on maternity leave at the moment). I do get to go home at 4 each day but then have to do at least 2 more hours in the evening plus work at least one full day in the weekend. I have no idea how I'm going to get it all done when I go back and I'll have 2 kids to manage as well!! I think I'm going to have to put them to bed in their clothes!!
It is a hard job and it consumes your entire life, I am scared about going back to work sad but, on the plus side I've never been bored and you meet some amazing people (students and other teachers) along the way.
Yep, it sucks always getting bagged out for doing what you love! "Oh you get soooooooooo many holidays" and "oh you only work 9am - 3pm". Ahhh, maybe in imagination land people! Holidays are most often spent planning, prepping and going into school. Weekends and evenings are spent marking and doing yet more prep work. Before and after school is usually for parent meetings and PD. Teacher's money is often spent buying resources for the kids because the school either can't afford it or won't pay for it. Lunch breaks are spent chasing up food for kids who don't have any and doing playground duty. Classrooms are more often than not over-crowded (just last year I had 32 children in a demountable - we couldn't actually walk around between the desks it was so squishy!) and poorly air-conditioned and heated.

Am I whinging? No way, I love my job, but it is not the walk in the park people seem to think it is. Teachers are expected to do so much these days and have a huge media focus constantly making us out to be the bad guys. Plus there are these people out there (who haven't spent a whole day in a classroom since they were a kid) that seem to think they can do a better job than you and are always trying to tell you what you are doing wrong. Some days I'd just love to turn up to their house or workplace and start bagging out what they are doing "wrong" just like they do to me, lol cool

I love the kids though, seeing them grow and learn under your guidance is awesome and makes up for the above for me. I can totally understand the burnout factor though, and it is such a shame that lack of understanding and support is pushing so many excellent teachers away.

Yep, it sucks always getting bagged out for doing what you love! "Oh you get soooooooooo many holidays" and "oh you only work 9am - 3pm". Ahhh, maybe in imagination land people! Holidays are most often spent planning, prepping and going into school. Weekends and evenings are spent marking and doing yet more prep work. Before and after school is usually for parent meetings and PD. Teacher's money is often spent buying resources for the kids because the school either can't afford it or won't pay for it. Lunch breaks are spent chasing up food for kids who don't have any and doing playground duty. Classrooms are more often than not over-crowded (just last year I had 32 children in a demountable - we couldn't actually walk around between the desks it was so squishy!) and poorly air-conditioned and heated.

Am I whinging? No way, I love my job, but it is not the walk in the park people seem to think it is. Teachers are expected to do so much these days and have a huge media focus constantly making us out to be the bad guys. Plus there are these people out there (who haven't spent a whole day in a classroom since they were a kid) that seem to think they can do a better job than you and are always trying to tell you what you are doing wrong. Some days I'd just love to turn up to their house or workplace and start bagging out what they are doing "wrong" just like they do to me, lol cool

I love the kids though, seeing them grow and learn under your guidance is awesome and makes up for the above for me. I can totally understand the burnout factor though, and it is such a shame that lack of understanding and support is pushing so many excellent teachers away.

I agree 100% with every word you have said!
I'm a Year 2 teacher in NZ (about to go back to work on Tuesday) and you have hit the nail on the head!!

Sign in to follow this topic