Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Anyone who is or has had experience in midwifery

Anyone who is or has had experience in midwifery Lock Rss

HI!!!

So, I was talking to a friend the other day about what we ant to do when we have "finished" having kids and they are at school and we can go back to full time work. I sorta felt like it's going to be too late for me to start a career and I'd just take whatever job popped up. She laughed and said "you're only 22!". Which got me thinking, maybe I COULD do something.

I've always been interested in pregnancy and birth. I find little facts and things so interesting and I love reading birth stories. The idea of helping a woman become a mother make my heart skip. I would love to be able to help someone meet their baby for the first time. Apart from only having gotten over my needle phobia two years ago I'm not real squimish so I reckon I could handle the "icky" stuff. lol.

But what's really involved in becoming a midwife? How long does it take?
Do any midwives on huggies have something interesting or important that they could share with me?

Appreciate any replies.

THANKS!!!

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I agree midwifery would be a great career, very challenging but also rewarding smile Not sure what state you are in, I'm in QLD and each state can be different, but only in the last couple of years here have people been able to become registered midwives without doing a nursing degree first. I'm a registered nurse (but not a midwife), and I do know that most hospitals prefer to hire midwives who are also registered nurses, so people who have done their nursing degree then gone onto midwifery. Someone who has just done the midwifery degree will be more limited in what they can do, such as administering medications due to legalities. But as a midwife you could gain employment in other places besides hospitals too.
Personally if I were you, I would do a combined nursing and midwifery degree to give yourself a much wider range of opportunities. Nursing is also a good career for mothers I think, you have a lot of flexibility smile

I agree midwifery would be a great career, very challenging but also rewarding smile Not sure what state you are in, I'm in QLD and each state can be different, but only in the last couple of years here have people been able to become registered midwives without doing a nursing degree first. I'm a registered nurse (but not a midwife), and I do know that most hospitals prefer to hire midwives who are also registered nurses, so people who have done their nursing degree then gone onto midwifery. Someone who has just done the midwifery degree will be more limited in what they can do, such as administering medications due to legalities. But as a midwife you could gain employment in other places besides hospitals too.
Personally if I were you, I would do a combined nursing and midwifery degree to give yourself a much wider range of opportunities. Nursing is also a good career for mothers I think, you have a lot of flexibility smile

Thanks for that info. Im in WA. Do you know roughly how long the nursing degree and or midwifery would take to do?

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I am going to apply for the bachelor of midwifery next year.

I looked into doing the nursing first but decided against it after talking to the uni and discusiing my options.

Bachelor of midwifery is 3 years fulltime or equivilant and the uni I will be applying to said the job outcomes are great.

Nursing is also 3 years with 18 months on top to become a midwife. /you can also do it the other way around too.

Call the uni near you to get some info smile
It's never too late noddy! I work with women that are studying and they're in their 40s and 50s! I started my study when I was 22, and dd was 12 months old so you can make any circumstance work for you if you want it badly enough.

There are 2 ways to do your mid. Most hospitals prefer you to do your 3 yr Rn course first, then mid takes 18 months on top of that. It gives you a broader range of skill and knowledge. Some people prefer to do just the mid course because they're not interested in doing any kind of general nursing, and that way no one can ask you to do the general nursing. However its a very competitive course to get into and many people don't get in unless they're already an rn (which pretty much guarantees you a spot). The mid course by itself without the rn takes 3 years and has quite a lot of long placements.

Don't forget the awful side of midwifery is that you see a lot of heartbreaking tragedies. I do still consider it a privilege to be there during those times though to be the support person when someone's world is turned upside down. Obviously I'm not a midwife, but have had a bit to do with it as I help out the midwives on our ward, which is joined with the mid section.

Hi!!

Thanks for the info guys. Im really starting to think this could be something great for me. It might not happen fir a year or more but im going to look into it with my local curtin and tafe (we dont have another unit so depending on what they offer I may need to look at distance learning) just to get an idea of whats available.

Your right chalys, I get that there will be some really hard times to help people through. But I really think I have the personality to handle the situation. I think helping someone through a loss would be eye opening, but mostly one of the most important things someone could do with their life.

All in all I think being a midwife would be fulfilling.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I'm pretty certain that you can't do any kind of mid through tafe, its a uni thing only. I did my nursing externally due to dd. It was difficult without the support of lecturers etc and involved more reading of text books - which can be wordy and technical, but somehow still got through it. Go for it, you'd make a great midwife! If you wanted to you could start it part time, or full time soon, then defer for a year or so when life gets, erm, busy! smile

I'm pretty certain that you can't do any kind of mid through tafe, its a uni thing only. I did my nursing externally due to dd. It was difficult without the support of lecturers etc and involved more reading of text books - which can be wordy and technical, but somehow still got through it. Go for it, you'd make a great midwife! If you wanted to you could start it part time, or full time soon, then defer for a year or so when life gets, erm, busy! smile

TEHEHE! grin

Well one of my friends has started a nursing degree throught the Cutin here but once she completed the first year it got cancelled due to lack of interest and they were making changes to the syllabus. I think that was two or three years ago, she didn't return because first they weren't offering the course and then she had another baby so it's been hard for her. She looked into it about six months ago and they had started offering it again but she would have to do a bridge course first. ALOT of mucking around. I think I'll see if I can do distance learning through uni, less chance of being mucked around...maybe. lol

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

ECU offer nursing too noddy, not sure about mid though?
That would have to be to do her ENs if its not through uni. You can do your EN in 18 months, then do your RN, however then you've already added an extra 6 months study because it'll take you 2 yrs to do your RN. Add mid to the end of that and it would take another 18 months. So thats 5 years study if you do it full time for the 3 courses as opposed to 3 years to do the mid course.

Depends how you want to do it I suppose! The good thing about studying nursing is that you can start work as an assistant in nursing from your second year of study if you want to. I worked weekends as an AIN and loved it. Decisions decisions hey!

ECU offer nursing too noddy, not sure about mid though?

THANKS!
I'm checking out their (and other) website now.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

That would have to be to do her ENs if its not through uni. You can do your EN in 18 months, then do your RN, however then you've already added an extra 6 months study because it'll take you 2 yrs to do your RN. Add mid to the end of that and it would take another 18 months. So thats 5 years study if you do it full time for the 3 courses as opposed to 3 years to do the mid course.

Depends how you want to do it I suppose! The good thing about studying nursing is that you can start work as an assistant I. nursing from your second year of study if you want to. I worked weekends as an AIN and loved it. Decisions decisions hey!

Ok so that is NOT the way to go then.
Gosh it's expensive too! Hopefully I can get a study allowance or something other wise we may not be able to afford it.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Sign in to follow this topic