Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

What is "good money" to you Rss

So obviously this can be a personal subject so not asking anyone to divulge actual figures, but you hear people say they are earning what they consider to be "good money" and they still find it hard to meet all costs. Then you hear people talking about others and would consider someone in a particular profession to be "earning good money". Obviously everyone has different financial commitments but I'm wondering how people sum up their household income. Do you go by the lifestyle you have as to wheather you earn a good sum or do you look at your assests (or lack of) as a measure of your earnings. So whether you have access to it or not, what do you consider is a good income for a family?
A couple of irl scenarios that have me thinking-
A year ago we were on about $80k which was the same as dh boss. We have a fairly modest mortgage of well under $200k but with normal household expenses, bills, food, petrol etc we had nothing left for any extras. Dh boss on the other hand always have new stuff, always going on holidays, run two very nice luxury cars, regularly going out to restaurants etc. I realize that with their business some stuff would go through that, but still it often had me wondering how they managed.
Second irl story- I met a woman this morning that was telling me about a support group of fifo mums, she commented that there were a lot of 4 children families in the group. We talked about that and how it must be the only way to afford a large family was for partners to work away lol! I know that is definatley the case for us, when I found out I was preg with #4 it prompted dh to look elsewhere for work and more money.
Just my Friday afternoon ponderings. So anyone else wanna share? Do you have a good income but spend it all on investments leaving nothing for luxuries or are you just flat put making enough to meet expenses each week?
We are on a fairly good income well DH is anyway, we are what you would class as high income earners or at least the government tends to think that as we are at the cut off for everything. We have an above average mortgage of over $400K and we have a fairly new car too. My DH used to work away but when I found out I was pregnant with DS I told him he had to come home, so when he does work away that wage goes up considerably.
We tend to live within our means and we do have the latest gadgets and new stuff within reason. I have found lately that his wage doesn't stretch as much as it used to and we sometimes find ourselves short some weeks but we have put ourselves in that wituation with our mortgage and car loan so I can't really complain. DH works very hard so I can stay at home and he can buy the things he wants.
Ruby can I ask where your DH is working as I know you are in W.A?
Lol I posted this on your other thread smile

As you know my DH does fifo, for any job that he considers we don't look at anything paying less than 150k a year... At his current job he is on 235k a year but has just received a payrise so as soon as that goes through it will up it a fair bit...

We are renting, we are still paying off our car, we don't have credit cards and we both have bad credit because we both defaulted on personal loans in our younger days laugh so I suppose you could say our money is for luxuries and not investments at this stage...

We enjoy our money, we buy nice things and we never have to budget for anything which is a bonus. This year we are saving so that we can get our bad credit cleared and buy a house... Most people expect that we have heaps of money in the bank but we don't lol we like to spend!

I'm really grateful that we haven't been affected by the rising cost of living, although I'm always shocked when we receive our electricity/gas bills etc, it IS getting expensive and I feel bad for those on a low income, how do they ever get ahead? sad

I think for a family to live comfortably these days you would need to be earning at least 80k a year smile
Geez I think the average mortgage in W.A is just over $300K but I think the average house cost is over $400K. I always thought N.Z was cheaper than OZ
We're a low income family, and I don't think we're making "good money", but "enough money".
DH's a chef, works too many hours and people are often mistaking us for a high income family because of his profession. He gets $40,000 pa, which for us in enough.
We rent, have one car (paying that off), I'm a SAHM and we get by just fine - I'm very good with money, so we're not struggling, and we have money for little luxuries like going out for lunch/dinner etc. But, to afford to go on holidays, we'd have to give up those little luxuries for a while so we can save.

I have absolutely no idea what kind of money the people around me are making, and up until recently, DH thought he was getting heaps of money and that we were quite well off roll eyes I'm the one that handles our finances, and he has absolutely no clue, so I had to sit him down with our budget and show him why we can't just go out and get a mortgage and a second car!
i consider us to be on OK money. dh works full time and i work part time. we are on about $120k (not including rental income).

we do OK but we have a budget which we follow to the letter. if we didnt, we'd be stuffed.

we have a low mortgage on our home but have just purchased an invesment property for $350k.

we dont waste our money. we have a plan for the future for us and the kids and as both of us like to budget, it works out really well for us.

we have 2 kids and will not have anymore. mostly cos 2 is enough for us but we also know that we could not afford to have a third.

good money to me is $200k.

Lol I posted this on your other thread smile

As you know my DH does fifo, for any job that he considers we don't look at anything paying less than 150k a year... At his current job he is on 235k a year but has just received a payrise so as soon as that goes through it will up it a fair bit...

We are renting, we are still paying off our car, we don't have credit cards and we both have bad credit because we both defaulted on personal loans in our younger days laugh so I suppose you could say our money is for luxuries and not investments at this stage...

We enjoy our money, we buy nice things and we never have to budget for anything which is a bonus. This year we are saving so that we can get our bad credit cleared and buy a house... Most people expect that we have heaps of money in the bank but we don't lol we like to spend!

I'm really grateful that we haven't been affected by the rising cost of living, although I'm always shocked when we receive our electricity/gas bills etc, it IS getting expensive and I feel bad for those on a low income, how do they ever get ahead? sad

I think for a family to live comfortably these days you would need to be earning at least 80k a year smile

What is your partners roster like? What does he do, if you don't mind me asking?

WOW see that's crazy money to me! even $100k is crazy money to me. (sorry if that comes across as rude, I don't mean it to)

I think that's why my DH thinks about FIFO sometimes - move to Aus, get some good cash for a few years then move back here and buy a house.

smile it depends what kind of job you do though lol DH is a saftey advisor and there is amazing money in that, but he works hard for that money, he is looking after alot of people ensuring their safety and what not, plus he studies externally through uni, getting all his degress done!!

What is your partners roster like? What does he do, if you don't mind me asking?

He's a saftey advisor, 3 weeks on 3 weeks off smile

He's a saftey advisor, 3 weeks on 3 weeks off smile

That is a really good roster, I wish DH got rosters like that. My DH has basically been told he is getting sent to work away again, it sucks so much his roster will be 26 days on 9 days off.
Where is he working at the moment?
Last year I was earning 65k.
Hubby is an apprenctice and is earning a little less than 40k. So that was good money for us.
I was getting paid fortnightly and would put 1k (pretty much $500 a week) away (it went towards our wedding).

I got made reduadant and has been unable to find another job, so i m astudying on centerlink benifits. ($182 a fortnight) we are struggling so much! We have no credit card or loans (we had bought a house but sold it earlier on last year - for no profit sad we had to sell becuase it was run down) so the main bills we have are rent, electiricty, food, daycare (althought I was also paying full price when I was working as we were not entirled to CCR/CCB) so daycare is alot cheaper and gas plus petrol and car rego etc.

When I was working we could afford to rent this house, but now we can't it seems like at the end of the fortnight (the off week I don't get centerlink) we are asking one of our mums to borrow $50 in which I get my C/L we pay them back. Once we move out of this house (4 weeks!!) we will get something a bit smaller and cheaper and by my caculations we will be fine then for money smile Plus DH gets a pay rise. still not much but everything helps!!?

ME - 23
DH - 25

Miss Willow

Keeping fit and healthy in pregnancy!!

That is a really good roster, I wish DH got rosters like that. My DH has basically been told he is getting sent to work away again, it sucks so much his roster will be 26 days on 9 days off.
Where is he working at the moment?

Usually only management get good rosters like that tongue

He works on Barrow Island, really enjoys it up there actually. I think you have to make the most of it though, I try not to let the time apart get to me, I guess I'm just used to it now lol
Sign in to follow this topic