Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Time out Lock Rss

I found out from one of the other mums at kindy today that her son was given time out for 5 minutes the other day because he refused to pack up some toys and had a little tanty...

I wasn't even aware that they did time out in kindy... We don't use time out at home so I would be pretty annoyed if the teacher gave DD time out (which I doubt would happen because she's a darling!)...

Is this a normal thing these days??
When I taught pre-primary yes I gave time outs. The parents were aware it was part of my behaviour policy and I had no complaints. I didn't use it very often. I used it once for a little girl who was having a MAJOR full on melt down and several times for a little boy who was rough towards the other children. I had support from both parents.

I don't mean to be rude, I'm genuinely curious... if you don't think a teacher should give time outs, what other behaviour management strategies do you think should be used? Especially when a child is really losing the plot or being rough or rude?

When I taught pre-primary yes I gave time outs. The parents were aware it was part of my behaviour policy and I had no complaints. I didn't use it very often. I used it once for a little girl who was having a MAJOR full on melt down and several times for a little boy who was rough towards the other children. I had support from both parents.

I don't mean to be rude, I'm genuinely curious... if you don't think a teacher should give time outs, what other behaviour management strategies do you think should be used? Especially when a child is really losing the plot or being rough or rude?

Well the way I parent doesn't involve time out, I use a positive parenting style and redirection... Hmm I suppose in a classroom environment this might not always be possible though, I don't know really, we were never informed that this was one of her methods. Perhaps explaining to the child what they did wrong and talking them through it would be a better option... And 5 minutes is a bit rough for a 3yr old imo smile
At the daycare DD1 used to go to (about 2 years ago now) they used timeout. It was mostly used when sand/toys were being thrown & they would just sit the child on a chair off to the side for a few minutes. It more just separated them from the situation.

Not sure if they do it at her kinder though. I imagine they would. They need some form of control over the kids.
I'm fairly certain they do a form of timeout at DD1's kinder - like a pp said, to remove them from the situation. I'm not sure how long it is for, or whereabouts they have it, but I just seem to recall DS mentioning (when he went to kinder) one of the real naughty boys from his kinder class had to have it once.
I use timeout at home, so I don't see a problem with it, but I can understand how you feel about it seeing as its not the way you've chosen to discipline/parent your kids. Maybe it's only for the out of control type kids?
I wouldn't have a clue what they do at DD daycare.

ME - 23
DH - 25

Miss Willow

Keeping fit and healthy in pregnancy!!

I'm fairly certain they do a form of timeout at DD1's kinder - like a pp said, to remove them from the situation. I'm not sure how long it is for, or whereabouts they have it, but I just seem to recall DS mentioning (when he went to kinder) one of the real naughty boys from his kinder class had to have it once.
I use timeout at home, so I don't see a problem with it, but I can understand how you feel about it seeing as its not the way you've chosen to discipline/parent your kids. Maybe it's only for the out of control type kids?

Hmm I don't know, maybe I will ask the teacher about it next week! I just didn't think they actually used it in schools lol

Well the way I parent doesn't involve time out, I use a positive parenting style and redirection... Hmm I suppose in a classroom environment this might not always be possible though, I don't know really, we were never informed that this was one of her methods. Perhaps explaining to the child what they did wrong and talking them through it would be a better option... And 5 minutes is a bit rough for a 3yr old imo smile

I try to redirect as much as I can, but when you have 20-odd kids it doesn't always work. 1:1 is very different to 2:20! For the kids who are generally well-behaved but have a one off "slip-up" a quiet talking to works, I agree with that. But sometimes, especially if a kid is having a tanty, a time out helps to calm them down before the chat, and sadly, some kids are just naughty and don't respond to "a chat"! I do agree 5 minutes is a long time for a 3 year old. I go by a minute per year of age.
When you have a group of 18-20 children then you do need strategies like time out, its not possible for a teacher to react in the same way a parent might in a 1:1 situation or even a parent with 2 or 3 children.

I'm happy with timeout being used at DDs school, sometimes it is necessary. I'd also be happy for my 3 year old to have that as a discipline method if she were in a group situation.... it would be chaos otherwise.
Not sure yet. Ds3 only started kindy last week and we've been invited to attend a meeting with the teacher next week for a run-down on teaching methods, discipline policy etc. She's a new teacher to our school so not sure what she'll do. I know the kindy teacher didn't really do time out, more focussed on redirection. I think she may have used it a couple of times with one or two of the more challenging kids. Not sure how I'll approach it if this teacher does do time-out, I won't be happy about it as we don't do it at home either.

Not sure yet. Ds3 only started kindy last week and we've been invited to attend a meeting with the teacher next week for a run-down on teaching methods, discipline policy etc. She's a new teacher to our school so not sure what she'll do. I know the kindy teacher didn't really do time out, more focussed on redirection. I think she may have used it a couple of times with one or two of the more challenging kids. Not sure how I'll approach it if this teacher does do time-out, I won't be happy about it as we don't do it at home either.

Oh yep we have an info evening next week too (DD only started last week!) see that's why I'm not happy about it because we don't do it at home. Hmm it's a tough one!
I see nothing wrong with time out. I use it at home when needed (not on a daily basis usually, but couple times a week maybe) and would have no problem with Kindy doing the same.

The way I see it, if you are entrusting them to look after your child/ren, you also have to trust that they know what they are doing and trust their methods. You will have very little control over how teachers choose to discipline your child, just as you have little control over their teaching methods, so if you have a major problem with their method you may need to find somewhere else, or homeschool.
Sign in to follow this topic