Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

the save our sleep routine Lock Rss

Doesn't work with school drop off and pick up times.

I'm trying to loosely have a plan for when bubs comes. I want to have a routine if I can as I didn't last time, and hoping it'll make a difference with new bubs sleeping patterns (dd was a nightmare with sleep for 13 months, sleep deprivation was a huge part of my breakdown!) .

So I've been reading save our sleep... and I think having a routine, as well as reading bubs cries as well as I can (going to try dunstan baby language, but mostly will just try to become familiar with bubs cries to interpret needs)

I'd like to try and get it into some kind of pattern....

Question is... how? Anyone else done or doing this and have adapted to suit the older child too?

I have no idea how to do it! I had my second when my first started prep, and my 3rd while she was in yr one. Honestly it was a nightmare for the first couple of months then I just tried to follow the sleep, eat, play routine they recommend and found that was as much of a routine I could manage. I found they both learnt to sleep in the car, pram and baby sling pretty well lol, they had no choice. Good luck, I'm sure someone has successfully juggled it and can give you advice!

double post

hello , congratulations
the book is a good read but every day is different with my baby.
I did follow the routine but it was doing my head in because I was waking baby and trying to get baby to sleep according to the times
well now we have relaxed finaly and she sleeps for as long as she wants.
she is so much happier.... she sleeps like 5 or 6 hours a day and sleeps all night from about 7 or 8 through till 7am... she is just turned 4 months.
we were waking her for the dream feed probably recommend doing that until baby learns to sleep through....
I find its better to let your baby set the pace , that way the baby is happier which means you are happier
a book is good but serious how can every baby fit the routines in the book...they are all so different
i went to sleep school and that sorted out my little one..
if you go to your local clinic they will refer you...if you have any dramas
good luck with everything I wish you the best and enjoy smile

pp demand feeding works best for us because she will take a good feed when she is hungry...the whole feed play sleep sounds good but if your baby ant hungry why feed it!!....
Thanks girls.

Yep I used the word loosely planning as I realise all babies are different & I may not be able to set the baby to a clock! I just don't really know how to go about getting it started.... or whether getting it going might just result in a screaming child. I feel a bit lost as to how it'll just work.

All I know is that last time we had no routine, I demand fed which resulted in hourly feeds during the day and half hourly at night... as she wouldn't sleep for longer than 30 mins and I didn't know what else to do... so I'd just feed her again.

I'll start by saying I have nothing good/positive to say about TH or SOS. Anything that says you should feed, wake and sleep at set times without any thought to a babys needs or wants is a bad idea IMO. I saw an interview with her last year where she was talking about breastfeeding. Anyone who times feeds clearly has no idea, demand feeding is the only way to go if you want to succeed at bf ime.
That said, there are ways and other methods if you're feeling like you need a bit of guidance. Pinky McKay has several books available as well as info on her website. She has tips on gentlely tweaking your babies own routine to suit your family, sleep and settling advice and methods to calm crying.
Hey, I've never read save our sleep - as from what I've heard its not for me. But I do highly recommend 'baby bliss' by Jo Ryan. Theres loose routines as well as settling techniques that don't include any controlled crying! Love the book and have actually bought it for a couple friends who are expecting! Goodluck smile
What's TH ruby?

Yep as I said I wouldn't expect to set my child like an alarm clock... but that being said - she recommends feeding around 3 hourly. Based on my experience with dd... she did not need feeding hourly or 30 minutely, I just became her comforter - and I think aiming for somewhere around the 3 hour mark might give me some guidance on when to feed and when to resettle.

There's no controlled crying in SOS... she says you need to recognise what their cries mean. If its sleep time and bubs is just making a grizzling noise, as in protesting about going to sleep but not a genuine upset cry, then she recommends leaving them. But if its a hungry or distressed cry then go to them. I don't think thats unreasonable.

I'm not looking for a routine that's set in stone... I guess I'm looking for rough guidelines as to how the day should go so that I know what to expect or plan. After last time my confidence is rather shot.... so I'm feeling like a first time mother.

I'm not looking for a routine that's set in stone... I guess I'm looking for rough guidelines as to how the day should go so that I know what to expect or plan. After last time my confidence is rather shot.... so I'm feeling like a first time mother.

I would recommend Pinky McKay's book, I have not read it but I really like her philosophies and the advice she gives to parents. I don't think it is about strict routines so maybe that would be better for your sitution with the school dropoffs. I will go and look up what it is called.

I think that babies usually just get into their own routines? Mine did and I think that is normal? One big thing for me with having my other kids and having a lot of things I need to do, is putting my baby in his sling or wrap. I think that he knows it is daytime because he is always in that or being carried around or driven around. (I usually just carry him for most of his awake time and then when he gets tired I put him in there). And then at night time it is dark and quiet, and he sleeps great. Generally all people have their own routines and I believe the key is to keep those up and let your baby be a part of that.

If your school dropoffs are at the same time every day then that is pretty ideal I think. Because that is regular. If you had to wake your baby to go to school, your baby would probably start sleeping through it, and maybe going to bed a bit later in the evenings. Probably mornings would be hectic but if your little girl can get her own breakfast and you get everything organised for school the night before, I think you would be fine:) I also think that sometimes not having any plans could cause problems for someone like you, who wants to be doing stuff and organising and anticipating problems to avoid them. So, I think you will do brilliantly as a mother to your new baby, and dropping off your daughter every day will probably help you to get going. I think that your baby will likely settle into your family's dynamics by her/himself.

The basic ideas of a baby routine involves awake time and offering lots of feeds in the day so that this is different to night time when there is no real stimulation and hopefully less feeds!

I had 1 unplanned pregnancy that shocked me completely and the difference between that and my planned pregnancies is enormous. Things are so much easier when you haven't just been chucked into it headfirst. You also appreciate your baby more.

I know I don't actually know you - but I think you will be great when your baby is born.
http://www.pinky-mychild.com/sleep/sleeping-like-a-baby-by-pinky-mckay
What's TH ruby?

Tizzie Hall

There's no controlled crying in SOS... she says you need to recognise what their cries mean. If its sleep time and bubs is just making a grizzling noise, as in protesting about going to sleep but not a genuine upset cry, then she recommends leaving them. But if its a hungry or distressed cry then go to them. I don't think thats unreasonable.

I disagree. Just because it doesn't involve timing the crying doesn't mean it's not cc IMO.  The fact that she says to only respond to certain types of cries sounds very controlling to me wink I also have a problem with someone making money off telling millions of parents to go make a cup of tea while their baby cries. 
Sorry, I know this is not a cc debate and I'm not looking at making it into one, but that woman and her brand of advice really gets me steamed angry
Thanks windmill... arnt you comforting in a motherly kind of way! Lol

I suppose its a bit of a wait and see thing as well which makes me feel a bit anxious about it all.

Sign in to follow this topic