Huggies Forum

In the dr's eyes Lock Rss

Hey everyone

I just got back from taking my 7mth old DD for a check up at our local GP.
DD is 70 cm long, 8.5kd and HC is 44cm.

DD is very active and a great sleeper. She is curently drinking 4x 220ml of NAN HA gold( sensitive tummy). We have introduced her to solids but as not been a big fan of it. She would rather gulp dwn her milk. I always give her milk first then solids.

Well...the doctor kindly informs that I am giving her too much milk and that I need to cut the amount back or cut an entire bootle out!!!! Is she serious?? The poor bubba is hardly taking in any solids and she wants me to cut her milk??? WTF

DD has chubby legs...but the dr politely informed me that my baby is fat and needs to go on a diet!!!
yes my man got called fat too but thats what formula does.
however the doctor is only trying to encourage your hungry baby into solids.If your baby doesnt want to drop out a milk then offer solid first then her bottle. or drop a milk for water instead. My little man loved his bottles back then too i think he had more bottles but 180ml instead.
. I know what its like to be told he is fat, I heard from a friend that my neighbor wanted to call family service on me cause my baby was fat mind you he was premmie 5 months and of course he aint going to be as active as a full term baby. so off course he is going to have rolls of fat. He was happy. goodluck
I really cant remember how much my DD1 used to drink at that age, but I would think doctor is suggesting to cut back milk so that she will eat more solids? Maybe look at giving some solids first, then her bottle. But she is still quite young to be worrying about pushing solids if she isn't interested.

As for weight, both my girls were approx 8kg at 12 months, but I know others in my mums group were quite a bit bigger. I dont think you can really call a baby fat at that age sad
Maternal & Child Health Nurses are more up to date & 'in the know' with information to do with babies than a GP.

There are alot of babies who arent really interested in solids at 7 months so I wouldnt worry too much about that yet. Have you tried at different times around bottles? Some prefer solids if they're not starving for a bottle, and some are happy to snack on some puree or toast before filling on a bottle. Maybe she'd prefer finger foods? I dont think you'd need to cut back a bottle yet though.

As for saying your baby needs to go on a diet, there's no polite way to say that. No baby needs to go on a diet.

P.S- your 7 month old is only a few cm shorter than my 18 month old laugh
Sounds like your doc doesn't know what she's talking about. Your bub is in the 75-90% for weight and 90% for length - so perfectly proportional.

My DS was 9.36kg and 69.5cm at 5 months! And no-one ever even mentioned anything about him being overweight - because he's always been proportional. And he was fully breast fed at that stage.
He's cruising now and has only put on about 600g in the past 4&1/2 months - they do slow down once they're more mobile. He's still really tall though - 82cm smile
My DD is 5 1/2 months, weighs 8kg, head 42cm and length about 65cm and is fully breastfed. When she was weighed before xmas I remember the nurse showing me on the growth charts (which I can never understand)her measurements but commenting that everything is in proportion.
Wasn't until I got home that I realised she must be a bit above the average at that time.
I wouldn't call her fat, because everything is in proportion. She's just damn heavy!

Sounds like your doc doesn't know what she's talking about. Your bub is in the 75-90% for weight and 90% for length - so perfectly proportional.

My DS was 9.36kg and 69.5cm at 5 months! And no-one ever even mentioned anything about him being overweight - because he's always been proportional. And he was fully breast fed at that stage.
He's cruising now and has only put on about 600g in the past 4&1/2 months - they do slow down once they're more mobile. He's still really tall though - 82cm smile

Ahhhh so glad to hear that they slow down, I must need to do more weights (or start) cos I struggle sometimes smile
Once they start walking and moving they become less cubby smile
It sounds all normal smile

ME - 23
DH - 25

Miss Willow

Keeping fit and healthy in pregnancy!!

I went to my GP yesterday who promptly informed me DD was at risk of Heart Failure!!! She is 12kgs 70cms long & 6mths old.. She has brekkie (2tblspns cereal with water), Dinner (3/4 sachet Raffertys Garden) 4x 180ml bottles Formula, unlimited water & 1 or 2 short BFs at night, & thats a "Hungry day" so she isnt a massive eater either, I just spoke to BHN & she said to look at things like genetics (DH, Myself & SDs were ALL big bubs) & how they put on weight, whether its a constant gain or in spurts... My point in all of this is that BHN is quite happy with DDs gain & development & its her theory that some bubs just do all their growing early but will slow down once they are crawling or mobile...
maybe give her solids first and then the bottle she is proberbly full by the time she finished her milk.

just a thought

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

Thanks everyone!!

I was distraught when I left the GP...she made me feel like I was a bad mother. Good to hear your stories though, it makes me feel better. Thanks again.
The percentage chart is supposed to compare height and weight together.... thats why theres two separate charts. My dd is in the 90th percentile for both height and weight, and always has been.

Because both of the percentages are 90% - that means she is in proportion... or in other words, 90% taller and heavier tham other kids her age.... but 10% smaller and lighter than some kids her age. and when you also look at genetics in that mix... the women in my dhs family are all 6ft tall. So I would expect my dd to be exactly as she is!

Their growth spurts mean that sometimes they stack on some weight before they get taller too... so don't stress, it all works out eventually. I would only be concerned if say a child was on the 100th percentile for weight and 50th percentile for height... that would tell me that my child was overweight - especially if the child had been at those percentages over a long period of time.

At the end of the day its only a guideline for normal size... and we all know that 'normal' has a huge variation between individuals!

Sign in to follow this topic