Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. My 3 and a half year old boy has chest pain...

My 3 and a half year old boy has chest pain... Lock Rss

Hello,

As the title says, my 3.5 year old boy has been complaining of chest pain. It started yesterday afternoon, and he said it again this morning before school (he's in kindy). He's a really tough little cookie and doesn't complain unless something really hurts, and looking at him I could tell he wasn't feeling good, as he had gone very pale. It really stops him in his tracks.

He's asthmatic and had a flu-like illness last week, which he was recovering from over the weekend. By yesterday he was well enough to go to school, and he's there today too, the only symptom he still has is his asthma being a little worse than usual. It's been okay for the most part but he is requiring ventolin most days.

The main thing that springs to mind with a sore chest is whether he could be developing a chest infection? He has no fever, and nothing else to suggest that other than the cough and painful episodes. His asthma has been exacerbated for about a week, could that in itself be the cause?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading smile

Hello,

As the title says, my 3.5 year old boy has been complaining of chest pain. It started yesterday afternoon, and he said it again this morning before school (he's in kindy). He's a really tough little cookie and doesn't complain unless something really hurts, and looking at him I could tell he wasn't feeling good, as he had gone very pale. It really stops him in his tracks.

He's asthmatic and had a flu-like illness last week, which he was recovering from over the weekend. By yesterday he was well enough to go to school, and he's there today too, the only symptom he still has is his asthma being a little worse than usual. It's been okay for the most part but he is requiring ventolin most days.

The main thing that springs to mind with a sore chest is whether he could be developing a chest infection? He has no fever, and nothing else to suggest that other than the cough and painful episodes. His asthma has been exacerbated for about a week, could that in itself be the cause?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading smile

I'd be off to the Dr with him being asthmatic and having chest pain, the pain most likely is due to the asthma being worse but you'd want to get it checked out.
I would definitely get him checked. Sounds like an infection.

As a kid I used to sometimes beta sharp pain in my chest when I breathed in. My dad used to say it was too much carbon dioxide in my lungs and get me to have three quick short out breathes for one in breathe. Always used to fix it
I am a bit shocked that you would even have to ask for advice about this. He in complaining of chest pain, the first thing anyone would do would be take him to the doctor or hospital, not wait and see if it went away. I wouldn't take the risk with my kids with anything like that, I would rather be safe then sorry.
Hi,

I was wondering - does he cough alot with his asthma??

It could be a muscular pain from all the coughing?

Maybe try some nurofen - it might help!

Hope he feels better soon!
Thanks everyone for your replies.

He does cough a lot, I'm hoping it's that. He can't have nurofen, because of the severity of his asthma doctors don't like to take a chance with it, but I have been giving him panadol.

I'll ask his teacher how he's been when I pick him up from school. If he is still feeling that way this afternoon I will take him to the doctor.

Thanks again, I don't have anyone to bounce it off at the moment and this helps smile

I am a bit shocked that you would even have to ask for advice about this. He in complaining of chest pain, the first thing anyone would do would be take him to the doctor or hospital, not wait and see if it went away. I wouldn't take the risk with my kids with anything like that, I would rather be safe then sorry.

I know it might sound like I'm ignoring something that could be very serious, but he's had a lot of emergencies in his life and has been sick a lot. Having dealt with urgent situations with him so many times, I know this isn't urgent. With what he's been through health-wise, I am very much aware of the importance of not taking risks; please understand that I am not just being blase.
Sign in to follow this topic