Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Kinder/Prep Homework Lock Rss

For all the mums with kids that have just started kinder/ Prep how much home work is your child bringing home?

This is the 1st week DS has gotten home work. He gets it monday and has to take it back Friday.

This is what he got:

Home reader
Sight words
2 worksheets
and he had to bring home the class bear for a week and do a mini project on what him and the bear did for the week.

Does this sound like a lot of the 1st week of homework?
When my kids were in prep, they got the same homework as this. I know it might seem like alot at first, but if you space it out as evenly as possible over the four nights, it doesn't work out to be alot.

For all the mums with kids that have just started kinder/ Prep how much home work is your child bringing home?

This is the 1st week DS has gotten home work. He gets it monday and has to take it back Friday.

This is what he got:

Home reader
Sight words
2 worksheets
and he had to bring home the class bear for a week and do a mini project on what him and the bear did for the week.

Does this sound like a lot of the 1st week of homework?

No that doesnt sound too much and its actually very good that he's bringing home sight words etc.

Over the space of a week that's plenty of time to do the above, the "mini project" about what he and the bear did for the week is not much at all - basically he draws a picture of him and the bear doing something or you take some pics of him and the bear having a meal, wherever you went that week, playing in his room - whatever.

I find the best thing is to get into a routine for homework, my DD is in year one and I give her 45 mins after we get home for play time and a snack then at 4pm she does her homework which takes around 15 minutes, sometimes a little longer... then she can go off and play again.
My little one has just started Kindy and has done homework for the past 3 weeks same thing get it monday return it friday.

He get 3 letters that he has to right words or cut out pics about
sight words
at this this stage we have to read him a book every weeknight excluding Friday, they will start bringing readers home in the next couple of weeks.
we dont have any ... yet.

DD1 started prep this year and nothing so far, from memory my older son started bringing home his sight words and readers in the second half of the year.

Agree with Happyhead, if you can get into a habit it doesnt take long to do. They definately do need a bit of chill out time first though.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

What age is prep? My ds has just started kindy (4yo) and would expect any homework at that age, ever. My older boys didn't get homework until pp (5yo) and even then it wasnt until 3rd term, they would have a home reader 4 nights per week and 1 set of sight words each week, but no actual work required of those just going over them each night with a parent.
This is his mini project that he did

I don't mind him doing the homework but there also a work sheet for DH and my self to fill out.

Don't know who it was that asked about age. We are in NSW, DS is in the kinder (the first year of big school) and he will be 5 in April

so cute <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

Bet you are feeling proud- he has done a great job!

I don't mind him doing the homework but there also a work sheet for DH and my self to fill out.

Don't know who it was that asked about age. We are in NSW, DS is in the kinder (the first year of big school) and he will be 5 in April

That's an awesome project! Wow not even 5 yet and writing and drawing so well - what a star <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
I am a very proud mummy.

He is the type of child that all he wants to do is learn. He was home sick the other day and he spent close to 8 hours doing finderwords and maths

I am a very proud mummy.

He is the type of child that all he wants to do is learn. He was home sick the other day and he spent close to 8 hours doing finderwords and maths

It's great when they are so excited smile

I think your homework is ok, not very difficult and not simple, just a golden middle. May be this is my subjecive opinion because I have to assist with homework my elder son, too, and the tasks he brings from school are really exhausting (I even use help of MC2 , as we both can't really cope with all of them). I think it is great when studying load is uniform, and kids are used "to work" from the early age, because high school and college life is extremely difficult today, the world develops fast and we gotta adapt to it fast.

https://sonicesoap.com/

Sign in to follow this topic