Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Do you leave you child/ren in the car?

Do you leave you child/ren in the car? Lock Rss

DD1 would scream too! Either that or she'd get out of the car and follow me which is even more dangerous! Just not worth the risk!

I just wait til someone's with me or wait til DP's home so I can go out by myself to get fuel.

On a similar topic, can anyone tell me at what age is it okay to leave kids in the car?

I would say about 5?! But ask me again when dd is 5 tongue

It would also depend on the child I reckon!

Nup absolutely not. I just couldn't do it. I cant say in the future or what age I may change my mind but now at 14 months I always get him out wherever I go. The only time I ever leave him in the car unattended is to get the mail from our letterbox 5 metres away and he is in our carpark on private property.

I would say about 5?! But ask me again when dd is 5 tongue

It would also depend on the child I reckon!

I probably would have said the same thing when DD1 was a baby lol. But she's on her way to 5 & I still wouldnt leave her in a car by herself. Not because the car could heat up, because I know she can easily get out of the car by herself before the car got too hot. But because of other people. If someone took her out of the car while I was quickly paying for fuel, or they stole the car with her in it, she wouldn't be able to defend herself.

I suppose legally speaking it would be 14?? but I imgaine I'll relax about things long before then!

Thats what I was thinking, around the teen years somewhere lol. I can't imagine myself asking my 12 year old daughter to out of the car so I can quickly pay for fuel or buy a loaf of bread lol.

I probably would have said the same thing when DD1 was a baby lol. But she's on her way to 5 & I still wouldnt leave her in a car by herself. Not because the car could heat up, because I know she can easily get out of the car by herself before the car got too hot. But because of other people. If someone took her out of the car while I was quickly paying for fuel, or they stole the car with her in it, she wouldn't be able to defend herself.

Thats what I was thinking, around the teen years somewhere lol. I can't imagine myself asking my 12 year old daughter to out of the car so I can quickly pay for fuel or buy a loaf of bread lol.

I think I'll be the same as you then lol I wasn't sure - 5 sounds older to me but when my baby is 5 I'm sure she will still be my baby lol good point, you never know what horrible people are around sad

Never have & never will while he is a child smile
shops no way

the petrol station different story. I worked for one once. there are defined hazards and it is safer for kids to be in the car. petrol fumes sink in air so there is a high contrition closer to the ground. where i worked we had a rule no one under 5feet was allowed near the pumps because they could pass out from the fumes. I had the glue eaten out of several pairs of shoes while working there and that was from just walking around near the pumps.

So my kids never get out at the petrol station their health is not worth it.
i leave my kids in the car and lock the car and take keys with me and obviously i can see the car when i go to pay which usually takes 2 mins.

can i just ask? to the ladies that say they couldn't handle if anything bad happened to the kids in the car what do you mean? just curious!

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

probably gonna get blown to bits for this but I always leave my daughter in the car while paying for gas since she was about 6 months.. lock the car and keep my eyes on the car, shes never got upset and I've never felt it was a danger doing so. its surprising the amount of ppl saying they would never do it, I don't recall ever/often seeing any mothers carrying their babies into the petrol station though?? wouldn't do it at a dairy or something though because I can't guarantee I'll be able to see the car the whole time.
I only leave my kids in the car to pay for fuel when DP has forgotten to do it! But in saying that i watched the news last night and a ladies car got stolen from a shop i think while she was doing something and her children were in the CAR, fugitive took off in her car then relised the kids were in there pulled over took the kids out of the car helped them accross the train lines and directed them back to there hesterical mother, went back to the car and took off! WTF
so i think now i will be taking my children into the station with me from now on!
Each to there own though!
NEVER. This is not o.k.
Firstly it depends on the mood of my DS if I get him out or not. I do try to leave him in though (I live in small town, quiet petrol station and right at the door.)

If its really hot I will get him out.

i leave my kids in the car and lock the car and take keys with me and obviously i can see the car when i go to pay which usually takes 2 mins.

can i just ask? to the ladies that say they couldn't handle if anything bad happened to the kids in the car what do you mean? just curious!

I have a few reasons- some reasonable, some not tongue

1. Someone stealing the car
2. Someone crashing into my car at bowser
3. What if something happens to me in/on the way to pay and no one knows which one my car is and my babies are in there for too long
4. (unreasonable one) - what if a stranger has a go at me for doing this sad
5. I am super uncomfortable with my dd being so far away from me in a very public place
6. What if there is a fire??
7. What if she finds a piece of food or a toy and starts chewing on it and chokes (another unreasonable one but seriously, stranger things have happened lol)

You know those things you think are non negotiables before you have kids? Like things that in your own mind, you didn't even realise there was another option? Leaving the kids in the car was one of those things for me- I just think you don't do it, it's do deeply ingrained I couldn't do it if I wanted to! Not judging others that do it cos theyre not leaving MY kids in the car smile

Sign in to follow this topic