Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Do you leave you child/ren in the car?

Do you leave you child/ren in the car? Lock Rss

I have always left my DD in the car while i pay for petrol or run into the dairy. I always lock the car and only go places I can see the car. Most people must do the same where I live as never see kids going in just to pay for something??

You didn't even answer my question to begin with you just made a statement without backing it up. I'd rather my child was in the locked car where I can see them the whole time rather then outside the petrol station getting poisoned by the fumes.

In my opinion it is safer to take the child with you. I have never, would never, will never leave my daughter in the car alone. This is my choice as it your's to leave your son. I was more trying to state that in my opinion, it isn't o.k. Obviously it is up to each parent as an individual to make this choice.

When you drive your car I trust that you have the windows up and the air on re-cycle so as to avoid fumes?

I am most happy to agree to disagree on this. I do not wish to start a war as I enjoy coming on here, as do you.
If I have to get fuel, then I'll lock the car with my DS (8 months) in there. I can see him while I'm paying but it still makes me feel bad. I try to get my DP to get the fuel. I would never leave my DS in the car while I got milk or bread. And definately not coffee!!
I know all mothers have there own way of doing thing but try to steer her in the right direction unsure

In my opinion it is safer to take the child with you. I have never, would never, will never leave my daughter in the car alone. This is my choice as it your's to leave your son. I was more trying to state that in my opinion, it isn't o.k. Obviously it is up to each parent as an individual to make this choice.

When you drive your car I trust that you have the windows up and the air on re-cycle so as to avoid fumes?

I am most happy to agree to disagree on this. I do not wish to start a war as I enjoy coming on here, as do you.

I think it was just the way you wrote it - as though it was fact rather than opinion. That happens on here a lot, it's hard to gauge what people mean through text.

People will always get their back up when it's written like that as it seems as though you're pointing the finger and telling everybody they're wrong. (By the way this is not to have a go at you, this is just an observation I've made after many years of seeing this happen on huggies!!)

In my opinion - you have to weigh up the situation before making a decision on it. To me, it would be unacceptable to leave my child in the car if I lived in a city. Being in a country town where I can see my child and where it takes just a few minutes with no line-ups, and in a town where I know at least 50% of the people I walk past, I don't have a problem with it. Even so, in this town I don't leave my dd in the car when I go into woolies, because I wouldn't be able to see her, and because it generally takes me a lot longer in there, and also because she might get hot sitting in the car.

Everyones living circumstances are different, so I don't think it's all just black and white with this one.

I think it was just the way you wrote it - as though it was fact rather than opinion. That happens on here a lot, it's hard to gauge what people mean through text.

People will always get their back up when it's written like that as it seems as though you're pointing the finger and telling everybody they're wrong. (By the way this is not to have a go at you, this is just an observation I've made after many years of seeing this happen on huggies!!)

In my opinion - you have to weigh up the situation before making a decision on it. To me, it would be unacceptable to leave my child in the car if I lived in a city. Being in a country town where I can see my child and where it takes just a few minutes with no line-ups, and in a town where I know at least 50% of the people I walk past, I don't have a problem with it. Even so, in this town I don't leave my dd in the car when I go into woolies, because I wouldn't be able to see her, and because it generally takes me a lot longer in there, and also because she might get hot sitting in the car.

Everyones living circumstances are different, so I don't think it's all just black and white with this one.

Thanks, nicely said.

Ok, pretending I was a serial killer/child abducter, after reading this thread I would SO visit all country towns!!!
laugh laugh laugh

laugh I still lock the car if she's in it!! tongue

Does anyone on here live in NZ and take their kids into pay for petrol?

I have said in a earlier post I have NEVER EVER seen a mum take her kids out of the car to go in and pay for petrol or buy bread! Or be abused for not doing it. And as far as I am aware in NZ kids are meant to remain in cars, its not law to take them inside with you! (Please prove me wrong if you can).

To those who do: What would you do with your kids if the petrol station got held up whilst you were in there?

Just thought I'd something in there for those saying they have never seen a mama taking her kids in with her - alot of us saying that we don't leave them in the car are also saying we generally fill up with DH in the car or on our own when DH has the kids. I do anything to avoid filling up and taking bubba in, I get it's a pain lol but I'll generally wait till I'm out with a friend or DH and do it then so you won't even see me taking my child in unless I'm desperate!

So just cos you don't see people taking kids in, it might just mean they work around it wink

Just thought I'd something in there for those saying they have never seen a mama taking her kids in with her - alot of us saying that we don't leave them in the car are also saying we generally fill up with DH in the car or on our own when DH has the kids. I do anything to avoid filling up and taking bubba in, I get it's a pain lol but I'll generally wait till I'm out with a friend or DH and do it then so you won't even see me taking my child in unless I'm desperate!

So just cos you don't see people taking kids in, it might just mean they work around it wink

Good point. I think I have never seen it cos I am in NZ. The majority of our servos are way smaller than the ones in aussie. I have seen plenty of mums with kids in the car, standing there nervously watching the car whilst in line. All of the petrol stations I go to in the city I live now and in the small city I used to live are owner operated and have service people out on the forecourt also.

TBH, until it was brought up on huggies a lil while ago I had never given it another thought, except that I prefer not to take DS into petrol stations, dairys and banks cos I have stupid fear about armed robberies. But I do take him to the bank and we walk to the dairy, cos I choose for to put it to the back of my mind.

smile

Does anyone on here live in NZ and take their kids into pay for petrol?

I have said in a earlier post I have NEVER EVER seen a mum take her kids out of the car to go in and pay for petrol or buy bread! Or be abused for not doing it. And as far as I am aware in NZ kids are meant to remain in cars, its not law to take them inside with you! (Please prove me wrong if you can).

To those who do: What would you do with your kids if the petrol station got held up whilst you were in there?

I am neither here nor there with this but here is the proof you were after <span class="emoticon tongue">tongue</span>

My link

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

I am neither here nor there with this but here is the proof you were after <span class="emoticon tongue">tongue</span>

My link

So it is law. Thankyou that is good to know.
Won't change the way I get petrol though. <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

This is horrible, but on the topic: My link

And as far as I am aware in NZ kids are meant to remain in cars, its not law to take them inside with you! (Please prove me wrong if you can).

"Young children require constant supervision. They must never be left alone in a house or vehicle. It is illegal to leave a child under the age of 14 years - from the NZ Police and Citizens Advice Bureau".

In Australia it is recognised as being 12 years of age in a house or vehicle.

But they must be of legal age (18 years old) to care for another child. This includes babysitters to!

Sorry finally got this typed (with my DD's help) after the above links were posted!
Sign in to follow this topic