Huggies Forum

Shopping centre staff Lock Rss

To heat their lunches.

Anyone else experienced this?

I remember when dd was little everytime I went In our local westfields there was always a staffs dinner cooking in the microwave when we tried to heat up her bottle.

Twice in a week I have gone in to heat a friends bottle for her little one and a westfields staff member each time was using the microwave. I asked the girl today if she could please take her lunch out that still had 6 mins to go so I could use for 30 seconds!! She cracked the s@?ts and said I'm on my break, I replied the microwaves are for babies food and bottles not to heat your lasagne possibly cross contaminating babies food. It just gets me so mad but maybe they should have a microwave somewhere for the centre staff to use maybe in centre management or something

Vent over!

To heat their lunches.

Anyone else experienced this?

I remember when dd was little everytime I went In our local westfields there was always a staffs dinner cooking in the microwave when we tried to heat up her bottle.

Twice in a week I have gone in to heat a friends bottle for her little one and a westfields staff member each time was using the microwave. I asked the girl today if she could please take her lunch out that still had 6 mins to go so I could use for 30 seconds!! She cracked the s@?ts and said I'm on my break, I replied the microwaves are for babies food and bottles not to heat your lasagne possibly cross contaminating babies food. It just gets me so mad but maybe they should have a microwave somewhere for the centre staff to use maybe in centre management or something

Vent over!

I have seen it twice at my local Westfield. I didn't need to use the microwave, I was only using the parents room to change ds nappy. But I thought it was bizarre seeing staff using the microwave for their lunch, surely their own work place has a lunch room or their own kitchen facilities they can use??

If I was you I'd be ringing centre management and let them know your concern, no way would I want cross contamination with my ds bottle or food if I had to use the microwave!! And what if this girls food had splattered everywhere, you reckon she'd have cleaned it up? Bet you anything...NO!!

Maybe CM will send a memo or notice of some sort that'll be distributed to all the stores notifying staff about the usage of facilities made specially for parents use? I know if I see it again I'll be making a complaint

I have also had this happen to me at a Westfield shopping centre and not only once a few times
And to also add I was waiting to use the toilet and I really really had to go so I'm waiting waiting
And out came a man no kid or pram
I think ppl fail to relise it's a baby room for mums and their bubs / kids / toddlers
It's not their for them
That's all so disgusting and appalling!

Definitely something that needs to be addressed by center management. And every staff person that I came across using the parents room as their own little kitchen I'd be taking the details of. Name badge, uniform, physical characteristics of the person, time and date....

Just outrageous.

Oh it drives me nuts as well. and everywhere i've ever been there is signs everywhere saying that the microwave is for heating babies bottles and food ONLY but still everyone uses it for everything.

I would definately make a complaint and do one every time you see someone doing it. and how rude of the lady to get grumpy at you when your trying to do exactly what your supposed to be using the microwave for

Ive always seen the "no staff" signs as well, and if a staff member was rude to me like that Id be getting their name and complaining to the store manager, head office, and the centre management.

It dont get stressed about it, I dont really care, I like hot lunches so cant blame them but I do disagree with refusing to give it to you for a min. thats a bit rude and there are signs there stating its for mothers use only. but if it doesnt affect your needs at the time who cares? there are worse things in life. 28 people, 22 of them children died in a bus crash today in Belgium!
I went into the parents room of the main shopping centre here once to discover a whole Indian family - about 15 of them! - heating up their curry for lunch and then they sat in there to eat it! Now, using the microwave isn't such a big thing to me as I bf but what did annoy me was that there was not one baby or toddler with them and they all proceeded to sit in there to eat their lunch and would not move off the seats or benches when I needed to change & feed DD!! They actually laughed at me when I asked them to move! I reported them to CM and was told there was nothing they could do about it.

On another occasion, I was sitting in the parents room feeding DD when two young girls came in, set up their hair straightener!! and proceeded to put in their hair extensions and straighten their hair!! Again, when asked to leave (not by me, another mum asked them) they laughed and said no because the mirror was better there than in the ladies room!

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

You should complain - it probably wouldn't bother me if we had a shopping centre here and someone used the microwave for food.

The problem is that the shopping centre havn't provided the staff with a microwave. Surely they have a staff room - in which case the problem could easily be solved. But it wont be solved if you don't complain!

Wow I can't believe how angry some people are getting over such a little thing. I do agree that what that girl did was rude but think about the other side as well. These staff members using the microwaves are probably young, don't have kids and hate their jobs. Also they probably don't have a microwave in their workplace. So to them they don't care if they're going to go to a parents room to use a microwave. They don't know about cross contamination as there's so much you don't realise until you're a mother. A microwave is there so they use it. I used to work in a shopping centre (didn't have a microwave in our shop) and the girls I worked with always went to the parents room to heat up their lunch, but we were allowed to, the centre didn't mind. At the time didn't think anything of it because I wasn't a mum and those sort of things didn't cross my mind. If there was a sign saying just for mothers then yes I think people should respect what the sign says.
umm cross contamination..? i know that when i made my bubs bottles when they were a bit older (bf when they were little) i used my microwave without disinfecting it beforehand..and heaven knows ive blown quite a few things up in there. i dont get the cross contamination concern whats the difference if its her lasagne in the microwave or yours at home? huh

i used the mircowave at the shops whenn i worked in a newsagency as a teenager, i didnt see the issue myself. if i spilt anything or it spattered id wipe it off and if someone came in (t never happened) i wouldve definately taken my stuff out for them.

i think the girl in the OP was defnately rude but the issue as a whole i dont see the big deal myself

I have also had this happen to me at a Westfield shopping centre and not only once a few times
And to also add I was waiting to use the toilet and I really really had to go so I'm waiting waiting
And out came a man no kid or pram
I think ppl fail to relise it's a baby room for mums and their bubs / kids / toddlers
It's not their for them

How odd... mens bathroom rarely has a line up so I don't see the need in using the parents room? I hope he wasn't doing anything supsect in there

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I don't see the drama in them using the microwave, as long as they are being considerate of the mums that they are specicially there for. In the example you gave, clearly that staff member was rude and out of line. Of course CM should make sure that there are adequate staff room facilities, but when you think about how many staff work in Westfield, possibly all trying to share one or two microwaves, some probably use parents room so they don't spend an entire lunch break waiting to eat their food. Just saying I can see the issue from both sides. As for cross contamination, I don't understand this as if I were using a mircowave to heat my babies food/bottle I would have a secure lid on it...

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Sign in to follow this topic