Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. do you want to do anything differently

do you want to do anything differently Rss

hey i was wondering do you want to do anything differently parenting wise with your future kids?

i wanna do a few things differently

i wanna use MCN's and not feed to sleep teach them to self settle and try hold off on introducing sugars and do BLW too

i will still co-sleep too i just want them to be able to fall asleep on there own if needed or a cuddle but dont want to fed to sleep i am having so much truble trying to stop isaiah from feding to sleep now
Yeah teach bubby to settle himself / herself. Soon as we get home.
I want to give bf another crack smile I want to do mcns too, our kids have all been pretty good self settling kiddies so praying I get another one!!!
With the birth I really want a long skin to skin contact I couldn't with the twins and I did with dd1 but it wasn't as long and calm as I was left a bit like a stunned mullet as she freakin flew out!!
Lol we do live and learn hey? wink

I'm using mcn's this time, im going to give breast feeding a better go this time and maybe use the sling more smile we will still co sleep and rock/pat to sleep...so looking forward to the new arrival!!

Everything is different this time. Mainly to do with sleeping... but I'm also trying to relax more. We've had about 3 days of good sleeping habits so I'm much happier - I just couldn't go through what we went through with dd. This time bub goes to sleep in his own. He gets heaps of cuddles in between sleeps but sleep time is strictly hands off. He is settling nicely.

We're also using the dunstan baby language to distinguish different cries. It's amazing and it works! I used to feed dd at every single cry, which resulted in hourly feeds and very sore nipples. I was a bit sceptical but have been amazed that it really works.

And the last thing that has to be different is my state of mind. I had a couple of days where I was an absolute mess again, and I was afraid i was heading that way again. However dh was fantastic and talked me through it, and I feel good again. Hopefully I can stay this way as I'm not on medication.

Dh has been different too this time. I was on my own with dd... he didn't lift a finger. This time I've been able to rely on him, and having his support makes a huge difference!

Everything is different this time. Mainly to do with sleeping... but I'm also trying to relax more. We've had about 3 days of good sleeping habits so I'm much happier - I just couldn't go through what we went through with dd. This time bub goes to sleep in his own. He gets heaps of cuddles in between sleeps but sleep time is strictly hands off. He is settling nicely.

We're also using the dunstan baby language to distinguish different cries. It's amazing and it works! I used to feed dd at every single cry, which resulted in hourly feeds and very sore nipples. I was a bit sceptical but have been amazed that it really works.

And the last thing that has to be different is my state of mind. I had a couple of days where I was an absolute mess again, and I was afraid i was heading that way again. However dh was fantastic and talked me through it, and I feel good again. Hopefully I can stay this way as I'm not on medication.

Dh has been different too this time. I was on my own with dd... he didn't lift a finger. This time I've been able to rely on him, and having his support makes a huge difference!

naw! thats lovely to hear that dh is by your side! i hope that it stays that way.
I think there is a definate theme going on here.

This time around I would also like to teach my LO to self settle a lot earlier and not have to feed to sleep.

I would also like to introduce a lot more tastes earlier and not make too many allowances for fussy eating habits as my DD is now a shocker because I have let her get away with it.

When i was pregnant with little man i said i would tap him to sleep & i do some nights. He knows how to self settle sometimes.

Next baby i hope i stick to not tapping to sleep. Plus i will not co-sleep, did it with little man i was so overtired that it didn't do us any good.

with this next one im going to be more careful about what foods and drinks i introduce. with ds he has never drank water.... when he was 5 months old it was the heat of summer and my mchn said he needed to be drinking more than just milk and he would always gag and spit out water so she suggested watered down cordial.... its a habit we are still trying to break sad
We did almost everything different second time around..no CC, no solids until after 6 months, got DS2 to sleep in whatever way was necessary and generally not sweating doing the 'right' things all the time. We fixed issues if they arose, which they rarely did, instead of trying to prevent stuff that might never happen in the first place. I threw away the books and all the 'great' advice people insisted on giving us first time and followed my instincts. Made us all happier and a hell of a lot less stressed than we were first time round.

I also had a way better understanding of what was 'normal' and what wasn't...made it a lot easier to cope with the times when things were 'unsettled' instead of running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to work out how he got 'broken' and how to 'fix' him.

Hopefully with all you ladies using mcns hopefully disposables will come down in price tongue

I wanted to bf this time but it again didn't work out, so that got scrapped!
I wanted ds to learn to self settle- he did for the 1st 4 weeks and now he won't during the day so we've gone back to feeding to sleep like we did with dd and it works like a dream and did with her to, wasn't hard to break the habit!

This time I wanted to be more of an active mummy and pay more attention to the bubba then the house work- so far so good smile

This will probably sound terrible to begin with but I promise it's not how it sounds first off!

Firstly, I would not breastfeed. I breastfed both my Children and loved the fact that I could and could do it for a long time - one till they were 15 months and the 2nd till they were 1. However it took alot out of me and as I suffered severe PND I felt very pressured and relied on and it was not very good for my state of mind. It's for this reason that I would bottle feed.

Secondly, I would continue working - again for my state of mind.

Thirdly, I would be more disciplined with routines. With my 2 Children I was very relaxed on their routines as I really didn't know what to do to create or enforce one. Now that they are older we have a strict routine and I would continue this onto the next baby if there ever is another one!

I have considered MCN's but I don't know I could commit to it... I don't know!

One thing I would NOT do is introduce solids too early! I didn't give my kids solids until between 6-8 months when they were ready (not spitting it straight back out) It astounds me how young some people start their babies on solids. I overheard a Mum at school the other day who has a 5 month old who is on 3 meals a day and 1 half bottle, and that they started the baby on solids at 2 months old. She was explaining how the baby eats exactly what the parents eat and yeah even though they spit it out, or throw it up straight afterwards, the baby will learn that it needs food not bottles... My jaw was on the freaking floor. If I was to have another baby, I would not follow this kind of trend, I would wait until Bub is ready. I don't mean to offend anyone with what I've written above, I just couldn't believe a 5 month old was already eating everything the parents were.
Sign in to follow this topic