Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. what do you do when someone threatens suicide?

what do you do when someone threatens suicide? Lock Rss

a friend on FB has just declared 'sick of this illness and what it has done to me, going to do the job right this time'.

He has bipolar disorder, and about a month ago he put a similar status saying goodbye and lots of friends replied and luckily some went round to his house and got him help. Seemed to be on the right track to recovery, altho most of his status updates have been focussed around his bipolar and how it's not his fault he has it - which it isn't obviously.

Now he has posted the status i put at the beginning, and I dont know what to do. I dont even have his phone number as he is more a friend of hubby who is out. Another friend of the FB friend has tried ringing and got no answer. I'm sitting here feeling sick to my stomach that the guy might have actually done something desperate and no one is there to help. He is not replying to any of the comments some of us have made under his status (which last time he did do - stayed around for a while to comment after saying goodbye). I dont think he's doing this just for attention, so it makes me feel sick that he might be serious, but there's really nothing I can do. He has two teenage children with his ex-wife, and is currently (i think) in a relationship with another woman but they dont live together.

Dont really know what i'm hoping for by posting this, but I just feel so helpless. Afraid of what might happen sad
Someone should pop round, or if that can't be done call the police for a welfare check.

Call the police. Don't assume someone else already has.

THanks all. I didn't end up calling police, and logged on first thing this morning to find his status update deleted, so I dont know what's going on. Hoping he was feeling better and deleted it. Have sent a message and will see if I can get hubby to ring him today. I dont like to ignore things like this, especially as he was serious the last time and ended up in psych ward for a bit, but at the same time it's that fear of making a fuss for nothing (ie calling police and it not being serious). It's very sad that the poor guy just cant seem to get his meds right and feel ok.
THanks all. I didn't end up calling police, and logged on first thing this morning to find his status update deleted, so I dont know what's going on. Hoping he was feeling better and deleted it. Have sent a message and will see if I can get hubby to ring him today. I dont like to ignore things like this, especially as he was serious the last time and ended up in psych ward for a bit, but at the same time it's that fear of making a fuss for nothing (ie calling police and it not being serious). It's very sad that the poor guy just cant seem to get his meds right and feel ok.
Hun, next time PLEASE call the police. Having 'made a fuss for nothing' is the best possible outcome you can have.... because the alternative is that you take the risk of living with the guilt of not having done anything and he ends up dead.

It happens a lot. People start saying that they'll not do it because they've done this before. And its those times that they actually do it. Regardless of whether or not you think its just attention seeking... people write these things for a reason. They need help. Don't ignore it.... many people have died from being ignored.

i did my mental health first aid training a couple of weeks ago for work. They said if someone is threatening them, ask them if they have a plan. Ask what 'we'll can do to make sure they're kept safe.

Hun, next time PLEASE call the police. Having 'made a fuss for nothing' is the best possible outcome you can have.... because the alternative is that you take the risk of living with the guilt of not having done anything and he ends up dead.

It happens a lot. People start saying that they'll not do it because they've done this before. And its those times that they actually do it. Regardless of whether or not you think its just attention seeking... people write these things for a reason. They need help. Don't ignore it.... many people have died from being ignored.

I agree with chaylis. Next time ring the police. They would much rather you 'make a fuss for nothing' and see that he gets some help than get there and find him dead.

Honestly he needs help to manage his bipolar.

My uncle and a good friend both had a serious mental health issues and both ended in suicide. I wish they had of let someone know they werent coping so they could get some help. I think his status was a way of asking for help.
Glad it all turned out ok. It's harder when you don't know the person well.

Glad it all turned out ok. It's harder when you don't know the person well.

See this is why I don;t understand the whole "social" convention of facebook? - if you don't really know some-one then why are people "friends" with them?
I agree with chalys too

you always have 2 options - the police or you call the mental health unit of your local hospital. If he has been institutionalised previously, all his details will automatically come up & the response will be immediate.

ERT's would rather be called out to 'check' on someone who may just need a chat with a professional than be called out to pick up & investigate an unneccesary & potentially messy suicide. It affects all the people that attend the scene too, just because they see death more often than us, doesnt mean that they are not effected by it.

If anyone is threatening suicide, whether you think it's just attention seeking or not, they need help & you (as in the person doing the suspecting) should be calling someone immediately & reporting what has been said/written.

I hope that he gets the help that he really needs.
Sign in to follow this topic