Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Do you tell your child their getting needles?

Do you tell your child their getting needles? Lock Rss

Hi ladies!

My dd just turned 4 a few days ago, and she is booked for her 4year old needles tomorrow!
I've told her we are going to the doctors tomorrow for her and her brother to have a check up but haven't meantioned the needles, should I keep that info to myself till she actually gets them?

I think I should but worry she will be angry with me for not telling her sad

What have some of you ladies done?

I told mine. I thought I would rather they know than have a meltdown at the doctors. I explained that they would be getting some medicine in their arms through a needle, and it was to help them stay healthy. They were both fine with it, and our doctors are great at distracting the kids beforehand.

She might surprise you, my DD1 barely reacted at all, and the reward (bribe smile) of a special morning tea with mummy afterwards helped too !

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

I've told both of mine - just said they needed special medicine so they wouldn't get sick and that it would sting for a second but it would be quick.. They know the dr has jellybeans so that was a good incentive for them smile

They both did really well.. DD got teary, but did well and DS did great - just said ouch on the second one, but was fine...

I would definitely tell her, at 4 years she's certainly old enough to understand. It's sort of a trust issue I think, the child will know that it was planned in advance and she might be distrustful of you in future (in regards to things like this) if you're not honest.

When my DD had her last lot I told her the day before, and again the morning of (not sure how old she was, it was the 15 month jabs but they were done late so maybe 17-18 months). I wouldn't have considered not telling her.

Hi ladies!

My dd just turned 4 a few days ago, and she is booked for her 4year old needles tomorrow!
I've told her we are going to the doctors tomorrow for her and her brother to have a check up but haven't meantioned the needles, should I keep that info to myself till she actually gets them?

I think I should but worry she will be angry with me for not telling her sad

What have some of you ladies done?

I told my DD when she was going to have her 4 year old needles, on the morning that we were going and explained that it would hurt a little bit but afterwards we would go and get a treat (ie focus on after not the event).

I dont think you can spring it on them at this age and found it was much better that she knew what was going to happen.
I told DS the night before... I explained how it was a little sting and that it was to make sure he doesnt get really sick. He was fantastic, I told him it was ok to cry when it hurt a little bit and when it as over he said "Mummy I didnt even cry"!!!

I was very proud
I told my DS the morning he was to have them, I can't remember his reaction.
I told DD1 (who had her needles at the start of the year), in the car on the way to the doctors. Luckily for me, her little sister got an Elmo book for christmas about going to the doctor and getting a "shot", and she loves this book so I just reminded her of it and she was fine with it all!
Sign in to follow this topic