Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Have you stayed at the Outrigger in Fiji?

Have you stayed at the Outrigger in Fiji? Lock Rss

MOrning ladies!

My husband, 3 year old son and I will be staying at the Outrigger in June. This is our 2nd trip to Fiji with our son but our first to the Outirgger. From the reviews its looks AMAZING!!! But I always like to get some tips/hints from people to make the most of our trips.

Has anyone stayed there with their kids? Any advice?

Thanks

Ange XX

no can't help
but you could help me with a Q.we are going in july but staying at shrangri-la I have just bought water shoes as friends said to make sure to wear due to the coral( her daughter cut her foot the 1st day and got an infection), others have said you dont need but we are staying on the coral coast so better to be prepared imo.Are you having vaccinations, if so, which one/s?

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi,

Yes we have stayed at the Outrigger in Fiji on the Coral Coast. It was back in February 2008.

It is a great place to stay. When we went our daughter was only 21 months old so could not use the kds club unless we sent her with a baby sitter. They only take them alone from 3 so you should be right.

We had a great holiday very relaxing. They have heaps of activites each day that you can get involved with if that's what you want to do. We did find the restrauants quite expensive. When we went kids did eat free so that helped. The room was great big enough for us all. They provided a portacot for no charge so that was great. The pool area is great. For us it was a nice relaxing holiday we did not use the kids club but our daughter did do some of the activites and one of us stayed with her.

We also went to the Eco park just across the road. It's called the Kula Eco Park. The outrigger has a tunnel under the road for easy access. It was cheap to get in and you get to see and touch and feed lots of different animals and then they have rainforest walk. Well worth the visit. We also caught one of the local busses and went into town (Sigatoka) to go to the local market. Now this is not for everyone but when we travel we like to do a the locals do. The bus is a very old bus with no windows. It is about $1 each way. When coming back expect to be coming back with live animals that will be dinner that night. You catch it just outside the resort on the main road. The staff at the outrigger thought we were made and tried to get us taxi. For us we had fun and was a great experiance for us and our daughter. Not many shops in town but worth the visit just to walk thru the local markets. The beach is nothing like our beaches we did not need shoes for the beach but saying that we only swam in the pool.

For meals we at at two restrauants just down the beach. If you walk thru the resort to the beach and turn right and walk along the beach about 100m it will take you to two restrauants. Nothing fancy but they did have great Fijian food. We found that most of the food at the resort wa western food and like to try new thing and native food. We had some great Fijian curries and for dinner it was only about $30-40 for the three of us. We even went and go takeaway pizza one night as we had had lunch at the resort and just needed a snack for dinner.

If you have a look at the trip adviser website they have reviews on the restraunts just down the road and the Eco park.

Just remember that it is about 1-1 1/2 hours away from the airport depending on how many stops your transport makes on the way. We were luck and we were the only ones so we went straight there. We flew out early in the morning so we spend our last night in Nadi as we had to be at the airport by 7am and did not fancy getting our daughter up early to get transport to the airport. We then had free airport transfer from the hotel.

Hope that you have a fantastic holiday it is very relaxing and the Outrigger is a great place to stay.

If you have any question don't hesitate to ask.

We did not need any vacinations to go.

Hi!

Jenna - we need a holiday after the craziness of building this house!!!! lol

VKW - We stayed at the Warwick 18 months ago which is still on the Coral Coast and about 20 minutes or so passed the Shangri-la. We didnt use reef shoes but we only snorkelled out we didn't "walk out". The beach itself was fine. It wasn;t as soft as Australia beaches as its more ground up coral but it definitely didn't cut our (or our 18 months old) feet. And no we didn't need any vaccinations last time and I just checked with friends who travelled their with their two little girls last month and they didn't need shots. Makes life easy smile

Thanks me+hub+3: We have heard to head down the beach from the resort where there are a couple of smaller resturants and will definitely check these out. Also that was the first I had heard of the Eco Park so thanks for letting me know about it as we will visit there for sure!! I wonder how we didn't hear about it last time we were there 18 months ago? We only stayed a little further up the beach. Oh well!! And we will definitely head into town and the village up the river again as these were highlights for us last time. We also love mixing with the locals whenever we travel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes I do remember that it was about 90 minutes last time to our resort on the Coral Coast and that was by Private transport!! Although we did get him to stop at a grocer on the way, lol. We will do that same this time to pick up snacks on the way to the resort or do you remember if there is a little shop just outside the resort somewhere?

Ange

thanks ange, our doc said that hep A and the flu shot would be recommended but not essential, so still deciding.I get the flu shot myself every year anyway.He said hep A is good if doing things apart from just staying in the resort.We are thinking of doing a long boat trip to a village and a school visit

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Ange,

Now we walk around the local street and we did not come across a store or grocer to pick the odd thing up.

The resort does have a shop that sells snacks and as much as the restrauants are quite expensive we found that the store was quite reasonable. We got water etc from there and when we went to town it was about the same.

Have a great time it is a great place to stay.

We stayed at the outrigger and loved it. We also went to the eco park and it was lovely. We went in summer and my only suggestion then was do everything outdoors in the morning- because it stormed every arvo like clockwork. Not for long but every day!!

We did the advertised "waterfull tour" (just from front desk". They picked us up in a mini bus, told us history of Fiji, we visited a small village and drank kava with the chief and walked through rainforest to the waterfull where we swam and ate fresh fruit. It was AMAZING!!!

Saying all that though- we didn't have DD then.

We didn't get any vaccinations before going. We did buy water. Apart from that we found we were eating so much at meal times we didn't need snacks smile

The pool was GORGEOUS, we went every night when it was empty. So great. We didn't love the beach area though.

Have fun!!
Hi VKW - we went nevr intending to spend the entire in the resort last time and still didn't get teh vaccines but it would be totally up to you!!! smile DEFINITELY do the school visit and the village visit smile Its wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!! We took about 5 packets of lollies to the give to the kids at the school and they loved it smile We also took a whole suitcase full of chidrens clothes, books and toys and gave it to the village. The cheif and the village were so thankful. We just got all our friends to donate things. We;ll be doing the same thing this time

Rosie Mumma - do you think the waterfall tour would be suitable for a 3 year old. I do vaugely remember seeing that last time and I think we didn't really look at it too much as DS was only 18 months at the time.

Hi VKW - we went nevr intending to spend the entire in the resort last time and still didn't get teh vaccines but it would be totally up to you!!! smile DEFINITELY do the school visit and the village visit smile Its wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!! We took about 5 packets of lollies to the give to the kids at the school and they loved it smile We also took a whole suitcase full of chidrens clothes, books and toys and gave it to the village. The cheif and the village were so thankful. We just got all our friends to donate things. We;ll be doing the same thing this time

Rosie Mumma - do you think the waterfall tour would be suitable for a 3 year old. I do vaugely remember seeing that last time and I think we didn't really look at it too much as DS was only 18 months at the time.

From what I remember it wasn't a really hard trek but you would have to carry your DS for at least part of the way probably! I'd ask the front desk to ask the tour guides as I'm not sure if they take kiddies or not.
Sign in to follow this topic