Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

so who watched 60 minutes? Rss

And what did you think?

I'm torn. I don't agree with smacking and we don't smack in our house. The Melbourne mum however I can see that she believes she's doing the right thing, and she never smacks them hard. I can see that her style is similar to many parents in Australia, and those children are not considered abused.

She said herself that it gets quick results. And I think that's what a lot of parents are after. A quick fix. I very strongly disagreed with her screaming in their faces though. That's losing control. I think those kids will grow up to be fine, but I do think that kids learn a lot by example and I certainly don't condone the way she's doing it.

The nz dad that was upset about that 'one' smack that left a mark.... how hard do you have to hit to leave a mark? And how many other times did he do it? Hubby and I both thought that really bad...

The English mum is disgusting and should be jailed for child abuse. That's just foul parenting. Actually its not even parenting. You could see that the behaviour of the kids that not only did it not work, but it created a stressful tense household that would have contributed to the kids fighting. Argh.. nasty woman.

I missed it sad

Where would I be able to find a repeat do you think?
Oops didn't see the other thread sorry.

You should be able to catch it on YouTube tomorrow hun, someone will be bound to put it up there!

And what did you think?

I'm torn. I don't agree with smacking and we don't smack in our house. The Melbourne mum however I can see that she believes she's doing the right thing, and she never smacks them hard. I can see that her style is similar to many parents in Australia, and those children are not considered abused.

She said herself that it gets quick results. And I think that's what a lot of parents are after. A quick fix. I very strongly disagreed with her screaming in their faces though. That's losing control. I think those kids will grow up to be fine, but I do think that kids learn a lot by example and I certainly don't condone the way she's doing it.

The nz dad that was upset about that 'one' smack that left a mark.... how hard do you have to hit to leave a mark? And how many other times did he do it? Hubby and I both thought that really bad...

The English mum is disgusting and should be jailed for child abuse. That's just foul parenting. Actually its not even parenting. You could see that the behaviour of the kids that not only did it not work, but it created a stressful tense household that would have contributed to the kids fighting. Argh.. nasty woman.

I agree with everything you said Chalys I am torn to. We don't smack DD however I will tap her on the hand if she is about to touch something dangerous.

I see the first woman means well and she defently isn't belting them but she was smacking them over stupid things. If I was to smack DD later in life it would want to be something pretty magor!It also seems it isn't her only method of disipline as the girl said we get a smack OR get sent to our room. She didn't say we always get smacked. I agree I think the yelling in the kids face is more of a problem then her hitting.

The other women is not an advocate for smacking she is an advocate for Child abuse. I can't believe they put her on the show it makes it look like all smackers are child abusers. There is a big difference between smacking and what she is doing. My mum smacked me but never ever like that and she sure didn't yell in our faces!

I didnt watch it- couldn't bring myself to watch power tripping parents and their poor kids sad

Wasn't in the mood to get upset or riled up lol

did you guys actually miss the bit where the aussie mum yanked the kids by the arm, the little girl laying as stiff as a board on her bed while the mum hit the other child, geez we want our children to respect us not fear us, i can't see how anyone could be torn that lady was a nut, i can't fathom why anyone would want/need to smack their kids that often and oh yeah we get sent to our rooms sometimes too pffft what's that after her hands sore from slapping them. Sorry but she was way over the top for my liking hope she hasn't encouraged parents to take up smacking the way she does it

I agree 100%
I cringed every time I heard the sound of her slapping one of her kids. She clearly is stressed because she has 4 kids and is now a single mum, but if she can watch those videos and say she's not ashamed of what she's doing there must be something wrong with her psychologically.
OMG!!! Chalys! Im in WA its not on yet! Now im tempted to read this thread before I see it and then ill be confused! Agggghh the suspense is killing me! I can watch it online because we moved this weekend and I have no idea where the power cord is for my laptop!
sad

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Its ok I've seen it now! smile

Yep, didn't like any of it.

I think the woman yelling in the kids faces needs help. I mean as in extra hand around the house. I think if she had a clone she wouldn't smack as often or scream in their faces.

The NZ dad. Hmm... I dont wanna comment without more info.
He said it was the first time he'd ever smacked and the kids said they never got smacked.

Like I've said in the other thread that woman with the messed up eye brows is awful and not only uneducated but narrow minded. Im glad her son at least grew up to be anti smack, one out of five taking a step away is enough to start a chain reaction.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I just watched it.

And I have no idea how anyone could be torn?

It's disgusting that a child cannot be free from violence when at home. No wonder kids prefer school over home a lot of the time.

I believe that the single mum saying she does not regret it and she believes it will make them better adults - I think she is surely deluding herself? How can it ever be okay to hurt a child? They weren't even doing anything wrong, plus she knew she was on camera so do not want to even imagine what it is like and what she threatens when she is not on camera anymore.

What made me saddest was when the reporter was talking to those 2 girls. And the way he spoke, I could tell they believe due to the exposure that they "deserve" to be smacked because they were "bad" or "naughty" - I think the show did the wrong thing in interviewing them because he acted as though this was normal behaviour and just what happens to kids. His tone and mannerisms were like an adult of authority - he didn't even try to speak to them on their level and ask them how they felt and whether it made them sad or scared. Instead, he asked why they get smacked and whether they still love their mum. Seriously!! Way to go making them believe they deserve to be harmed and that it's 'normal'! Of course they still love their mum - like that is even relevant? I feel he was being too nice to her. Like the other guy said, it isn't about attacking parents, it is simply about protecting kids.

I think why these shows are not that effective is because they never show an alternative. These parents aren't the worse, so they think it's okay. Show some better ways, then the smacking will be more eaily seen for what it is - violence against children.

The NZ dad. Hmm... I dont wanna comment without more info.
He said it was the first time he'd ever smacked and the kids said they never got smacked.

The kids never said that? I thought the girl just said her mum didn't hit her, when questioned.

Thay guy - why would you grab her leg and hold it up in the air to smack her to stop her "going crazy"? - seems like a completely fabricated story. Why would a kid just suddenly start doing that? And why would you hold her up by the leg and smack her? Holding her up by the leg would have already stopped her surely?

The English mum is disgusting and should be jailed for child abuse. That's just foul parenting.

How amazing is her son though. Even as a child he was trying to tell her that what she was doing was wrong - even if it was in a somewhat aggressive way or by mimicking her. And now as an adult he can articulate those feelings so well. I don't know how that mother can live with herself hearing those things - and still defends her actions.
What a ridiculous piece of journalism. Sometimes i really wonder about 60mins. Last week the mother shagging the daughters boyfriend & now this

Smacking is such a hot, complex issue & they did a brief 5 min cover. they didnt even challenge her. I wonder if they have offered that Aussie mum a parenting course or some suggestions on how to discipline her children without smacking?? She has never tried, so how would she know if it works or not...

I was offended by the way she screamed rightin the kids faces tho. sheesh.
Sign in to follow this topic