Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. My 12 year boy and reading the Hunger Games?

My 12 year boy and reading the Hunger Games? Lock Rss

Hi I have a 12 year old son and he really want to read the hunger games and I have said no, no, no and now I feel gillty! Should I let him read the book or not?
Thanks Emmy
Only you can decide whether your son should be allowed to read the book; as pp said it greatly depends on the maturity of your child. I myself was an avid reader from a young age (still am) and at 12 i was reading books like Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck), To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) etc they were very adult books with very adult concepts that the average 12 year old would neither understand or be mentally equipped to handle. (TBH though i never thought to ask my mum if i was allowed to read them, i just borrowed them from the library!) I personally want to encourage my children to love the written word so if they show interest in a book that may seem a little 'adult' i'd be inclined to read it first, let them read it and then use it as a tool to discuss the concepts involved. At the end of the day though he's your child so do what you feel is right.

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

beach mummy + 1 wrote:
Its quite violent and a little bit scary and has some quite complex concepts within the book that may be confusing for a 12 year old. I would say its more of a grown up book than Harry Potter or Twilight. It has no bad language or sexual content.
Have you read it yourself? You should do what feels right for you. Censorship is very personal and will vary a lot from family to family. Also depends on level of maturity of the child. Hard though cause the last thing you want to do is discourage your child from reading! lol

To answer your question I don't think I'd give my DS hunger games to read at 12. There are a lot of other more age appropriate books out there. How about the Philip Pullman his dark materials ones? I read those when I was 12 and loved them. Or the series of unfortunate events ones? They're really good too.

I am reading it now and so far I think that it will be oaky for him!
Eighth baby wrote:
beach mummy + 1 wrote:
Its quite violent and a little bit scary and has some quite complex concepts within the book that may be confusing for a 12 year old. I would say its more of a grown up book than Harry Potter or Twilight. It has no bad language or sexual content.
Have you read it yourself? You should do what feels right for you. Censorship is very personal and will vary a lot from family to family. Also depends on level of maturity of the child. Hard though cause the last thing you want to do is discourage your child from reading! lol

To answer your question I don't think I'd give my DS hunger games to read at 12. There are a lot of other more age appropriate books out there. How about the Philip Pullman his dark materials ones? I read those when I was 12 and loved them. Or the series of unfortunate events ones? They're really good too.
I am reading it now and so far I think that it will be oaky for him!

Sorry to hijack the thread but holy crap, 8 kids??!! When and how do you sleep laugh laugh

To the OP I agree with the others, only you will know if he is mature enough to read it!
Bailey''s Mummy wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread but holy crap, 8 kids??!! When and how do you sleep laugh laugh

To the OP I agree with the others, only you will know if he is mature enough to read it!

I sleep when Dennis is asleep (and the other kids are at school/childcare) and at night!!
there is a kid version & an adult version of the book.
I think that it is ok - but, only you would know - especially seen as you are currently reading it smile
Chiliwoman wrote:
there is a kid version & an adult version of the book.
I think that it is ok - but, only you would know - especially seen as you are currently reading it smile

I will get the child version for him maybe!
Eighth baby wrote:
Bailey''s Mummy wrote:

I sleep when Dennis is asleep (and the other kids are at school/childcare) and at night!!

Awesome stuff! Well done, I couldn't even imagine have that many of the little cherubs running around grin
Bailey''s Mummy wrote:
Eighth baby wrote:
Bailey''s Mummy wrote:

Awesome stuff! Well done, I couldn't even imagine have that many of the little cherubs running around grin

DS1 lives with a mate and his girlfriend! DD1 lives in her room 90% of the time! All the others just run around like mad man! Hehehe! But I love them sooooo very much (has DD3 would say lol)
Eighth baby wrote:

DS1 lives with a mate and his girlfriend! DD1 lives in her home 90% of the time! All the others just run around like mad man! Hehehe! But I love them sooooo very much (has DD3 would say lol)

Well I suppose that's not too bad then, but still craziness! I can only imagine your food bill haha mine is bad enough with 2 kids grin good luck for your impending birth too!!
Bailey''s Mummy wrote:
Eighth baby wrote:

DS1 lives with a mate and his girlfriend! DD1 lives in her home 90% of the time! All the others just run around like mad man! Hehehe! But I love them sooooo very much (has DD3 would say lol)

Well I suppose that's not too bad then, but still craziness! I can only imagine your food bill haha mine is bad enough with 2 kids grin good luck for your impending birth too!!

Did I put the I am a single mum!
Eighth baby wrote:
Bailey''s Mummy wrote:
Eighth baby wrote:

Sheesh! That's awesome, good on you grin
Did I put the I am a single mum!
Sign in to follow this topic