Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. has anyone birthed alone/by themselves?

has anyone birthed alone/by themselves? Lock Rss

What i mean is, in hospital with midwife/ob but no support person, like partner,mother, sister etc.

This is what i am facing and i am scared, nervous and don't know how i will cope.

just after some experiences and if anyone has an tips/ideas on how i can manage.

thank you.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

Hi!
First bub I was alone in ambulance without hubby and honestly didn't even really have time to think about being alone.
Second bub, I had my husband with me, but honestly I didn't want him talking to me, touching me or anything and I told him just to sit there:) I personally just like to be left alone:)

It is natural to be scared and nervous but I am sure that if you let the midwife know your situation and concerns, they will make sure they are with you and help you:)

Any friends that could support you?
If not, take some music, magazines with you and just try to concentrate on delivering your wonderful bub into the world:)

Take care!

Is it possible to hire a doula?
thanks for the replies.

i never though of a doula. i'm due on monday so i guess it's not really enough time to find , met and feel comfortable with someone in such a short time.

i really have no one to ask and i'm feeling really emotional and vunrable at the moment as my dh has hurt me terribly and the though of facing labour and birth alone is so daunting. i don't want him in there as it would be aggrivating and i want to concentrate on giving birth rather than how i'm feeling towards him.

Hi there, It is quite late, but it might not hurt to speak to a couple. There might be someone that you really click with.
here is a list for NSW
http://www.findadoula.com.au/search.php?search=...

Birth is daunting anyway, good plan not having your dh there. Good luck with it all. You will probably amaze yourself with how incredible you are!
Mimsey wrote:
SunMoonStars wrote:
thanks for the replies.

i never though of a doula. i'm due on monday so i guess it's not really enough time to find , met and feel comfortable with someone in such a short time.

i really have no one to ask and i'm feeling really emotional and vunrable at the moment as my dh has hurt me terribly and the though of facing labour and birth alone is so daunting. i don't want him in there as it would be aggrivating and i want to concentrate on giving birth rather than how i'm feeling towards him.

That's a good way to loook at it smile You'll do great hun! (just don't forget the snacks) wink

lol the only thing i could handle in previous biths was juice or sucking on lollies si won't forget those!

OC1246 wrote:
Hi there, It is quite late, but it might not hurt to speak to a couple. There might be someone that you really click with.
here is a list for NSW
http://www.findadoula.com.au/search.php?search=...

Birth is daunting anyway, good plan not having your dh there. Good luck with it all. You will probably amaze yourself with how incredible you are!

oh, thank you oc. i'll have a look at the link properly later. i just have a feeling it might happen before monday.

I had DD alone, although I had a c/s. My DH and I were not together, and he had hurt me very badly, as your DH has hurt you sad

I chose to not have DH in theatre with me (or present while I had contractions the day/night before). I didn't want to be subjected to his mind-games. I didn't want to pretend to play 'happy families' at a time when I knew I would be supremely vulnerable.

It was fine. It was great!

My advice would be to tell your midwife EXACTLY what is going on - why your DH isn't there. I did. I found that the staff were then extremely supportive of me. I had an additional midwife who basically acted as my support person - she was there through the whole surgery. An anaesthetic tech took photos for me. I had more support than my previous 2 births which DH was present for! The hospital even broke with it's own protocol and allowed me to have DD in recovery with me. Both my DS's went to the nursery with their father until I was back in my room.

Have faith in yourself and the professionals involved in your birth. Accept their support. You can do this, and at the end you get the best reward there is - a beautiful baby to love!

Good luck!
Bub no's 3 and 5 were hospital births without a support person, and to be honest I found it better. I wasn't worried about them seeing me in so much pain, I wasn't worried about them feeling helpless, I could just focus on birthing the baby.
The midwives are amazing support when you are alone, they are reassuring and caring.

I'll be having #6 alone as well, and I am looking forward to it smile
Best of luck to you
I did 99% of my labour with DS at home basically alone as DH was working then came home and slept, I didn't mind I found I could concentrate better without someone hanging off me!

I had DS within 7mins of getting into the delivery suit (hospital was 5mins down the road) and as soon as I got in the room I had to push and DS was born, no time for DH to support me haha

But I enjoyed my sons birth better- so not always lonely birthing alone smile

Just wanted to wish you luck smile

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

You're midwife will probably keep a closer eye on you and hopefully offer you a bit more support knowing that you're doing it alone. Many women kind of get a bit internalised during labor and don't really pay much attention to the support person. Understandable to be scared but you will be ok. And you're not alone - you and your baby are doing this together, just keep focussing on your baby

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Sign in to follow this topic