Huggies Forum

Deposit for Childcare Lock Rss

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the deposit requested of families from childcare centres. I have 2 1/2 year old twins who have been in the same childcare centre since they were 9 months old when I had to return to work. They are now in 4 days per week. Our centre has always asked for a $100 deposit for re-enrolment for the following year which we are fine with however they have now asked us to pay 1 weeks fees as a deposit to secure our space for 2013. For us this means a $728 deposit! This seems excessive and worse that it's at a time when families are expecting so many costs to rise over the months ahead. I'm wondering what the deposit requests from other childcare centres might be. Hoping to get some feedback, thanks everyone. Chantelle
I really hope this isnt the norm. I am looking in to child care already for this one and it was $78 per day (full price, not including any centrelink or govt help). The deposit was only $20, but I would have to pay 2 weeks in advance (not as a deposit, but ongoing) unless I pay via direct debit (then its pay for what I use).

Maybe check out some other child care centres?

we always paid a deposit too - usually the equivalent of 2 weeks fees.. so, yes, different for everyone

The deposit always carried over to the next year & when we left, they calculated the $250 (or whatever it was) into fees, so we didnt have to pay that portion of the last week. So, you dont actually get it back, it goes into a credit IYKWIM

Are they maybe asking for the first week to be paid in advance to secure the spot? Like when it gets to that week it's already paid?

Chiliwoman wrote:
we always paid a deposit too - usually the equivalent of 2 weeks fees.. so, yes, different for everyone

The deposit always carried over to the next year & when we left, they calculated the $250 (or whatever it was) into fees, so we didnt have to pay that portion of the last week. So, you dont actually get it back, it goes into a credit IYKWIM

Pretty much what I mean too

Each year we pay $150 per child (I have 3 attending now) just for them to be enrolled for the next year. It's not a bond or deposit and there is no CBC reduction or 1/2 back for the quarter. Upon commencement (when they started care) we paid 2 weeks full fees in advance.. We also paid upon commencement a deposit of $50 per child per day for 2 weeks so ($300 per child).. This is what we have as a credit for when we finish up.

Ds is 6 months old and in August last year (before he was born) I forked out $750. He started cc in March and this August will pay another $150 to have him there....none of this is rebatable.

I believe the amount goes into credit for next year but it's just frustrating. We are trying to save to buy our first home which is why I have to work and it just seems that we just can't get ahead. To pay out this much 6 months in advance is crazy. Imagine how much interest they earn from all of the families at the centre. They do it because they can I guess. We have been paying fees there for the past 2 years and as another member mentioned if people to cancel a space they can fill it so quickly.
Sign in to follow this topic