Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Telling a 2 year old her pop is dieing

Telling a 2 year old her pop is dieing Lock Rss

Hey all,
Our family only found out sunday that my husbands step dad has cancer and were waiting on tests etc to find out more, we found out tonight that its terminal and is growing so fast that chemo would only buy him time. So in short he only has a few months a year tops. I really don't know how much to tell dd if anything.
I'd tell her about things as they come up. At 2 her understanding is limited. A book I read while my son was in hospital suggested the following:

When he starts to look sick (loses a lot of weight, loses his hair), tell her that Pop is sick and the doctors are giving him some medicine to make him feel better. NOT to make him better. If things progress and he has pain (I hope not sad ) tell her that Pop's tummy/leg/head hurts. When the end draws near tell her that sometimes people get so sick that the doctors can't make them better anymore and then they die. And go to Heaven, or whatever you believe. But stress that it only happens when people get very sick, so she doesn't think that someone could die from a cold or whatever.

Avoid telling her that people get old and die, because then she might worry that other people in her life will die too. And remember, we look old to a 2 year old grin
shes 2 you can't tell her anything, she wont understand.. maybe that he's not well.

all the best in this difficult time. xo

thanks all, this helps a lot. She is a smart kid, we took her to the hospital last night to see him and she asked what the hospital was for, DH just told her its where sick people go so the doctors can make them feel better and i said and its also where babies are born to try and make it more cheerful sort of, but she hated being in the hospital was all withdrawn and quiet, we left the hospital and she said to DH 'I don't like the hospital dad' sad It's so hard as she keeps asking for poppy sad
angel kisses wrote:
I'd tell her about things as they come up. At 2 her understanding is limited. A book I read while my son was in hospital suggested the following:

When he starts to look sick (loses a lot of weight, loses his hair), tell her that Pop is sick and the doctors are giving him some medicine to make him feel better. NOT to make him better. If things progress and he has pain (I hope not sad ) tell her that Pop's tummy/leg/head hurts. When the end draws near tell her that sometimes people get so sick that the doctors can't make them better anymore and then they die. And go to Heaven, or whatever you believe. But stress that it only happens when people get very sick, so she doesn't think that someone could die from a cold or whatever.

Avoid telling her that people get old and die, because then she might worry that other people in her life will die too. And remember, we look old to a 2 year old grin

+1

Also, don't say dying is like going to sleep. Very hard to explain the difference to a 2 yr old between "like" going to sleep and going to sleep. wink

I am really sorry about your step dad. that must be really rough on you all. I hope you are looking after yourself too.
xxx
Sign in to follow this topic