Huggies Forum

melatonin Lock Rss

after seeing the other post about phenergan it made me wonder whether there is anyone else out there that uses melatonin for sleep isues.

mum to one goregous boy

I tried it with my son about a year ago just before he turned 2. I didn't notice a difference but I am thinking about trying it again. Do you find much difference when using it???
My daughter uses it, but she has Aspergers syndrome, and a melatonin deficiency. It works very well for her. When it was prescribed to her, the doctor told us it only works for people with melatonin deficiency, so it will not work for just any child. My daughter was taking around 3 hours to fall asleep because she didn't get the sleepy feeling. Now it takes about ten minutes. Hope that helps!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

how did you find out that she had a deficiency, is it just a matter of it works so she must be deficient. the only reason i ask is that it would be interesting if there was a test.

ds has adhd and my paed said that its common for these children to have melatonin deficiency. when bed time came ds would avoid it like the plague and at one point was up til all hours and if we tried to make him go to bed he would scream for hours, kick and punch at the doors and wall, he would scream at me and hit me, would throw toys around the room and this would be every night for hours.

from the first night i gave it to him he has been a changed boy, no more tantrums and he happily (sort of, what kid likes bed) goes to bed no screaming. he has even had nights where he asks to go to bed. and he asks for the melatonin as he noticed that it helps. also noticed an improvement during the day because he was sleeping better.

didnt know what it was until the dr prescribed it so was wondering if it was used commonly

mum to one goregous boy

We found out by trying melatonin, and seeing if it works! It's not actually a drug, but a hormone that is naturally produced by the body to induce the feeling of sleepiness. Those with low levels of melatonin don't get that feeling, and mostly when they are given just a little bit it induces the feeling, so they can sleep. My daughter was using heaps of energy, but getting little sleep, so she was even more irritable, chucking tantrums left, right and centre, and suffering at school. She still has tantrums but on the whole she functions better now, can mostly use the toilet, and us more pleasant in general. The chemist I get it from told me that it is rarely prescribed, because it isn't widely effective, though I think you can buy it over the counter, but the dosage is weak. It has been the best thing we have ever tried, though it is so expensive!

I'll add that children suffer a lot more from lack of sleep than adults do, particularly because they don't have the same level of coping strategies, but also because they need a lot more sleep, which is why it is so important for them to get enough of it! I'm glad it's had such a great effect on your son. It really makes a huge difference for us, too!

I have never heard of it smile

ME - 23
DH - 25

Miss Willow

Keeping fit and healthy in pregnancy!!

yeah i know its a hormone that why im happy for ds to have it. its not some drug with side effects its supplementing a naturally occuring hormone.

its been a god sent for me and ds. it is a bit expensive but a bottle lasts 5 months so its not so bad. although before this i would have given anything for a good night sleep for both of us.

Good to hear that it has been helpful for others

mum to one goregous boy

Ours costs around $55 a bottle, but we have to order it from another town, so we pay an extra $10 in postage. That is for a one month supply! It's ridiculously expensive, but it's a necessity for us. We couldn't be without it!

i pay about $60 for 60ml we are pretty lucky that it lasts that long but like you even if it lasted a month would still have to get it. we have to drive about 20-30 minutes to get it so we do it on our way to other places. i could get it local but its twice the price

mum to one goregous boy

We can't get it local. I would have to drive two hours to get it, so postage it is! We get 15mls per month, she gets 0.5mls per dose, so only a tiny amount, but it's very concentrated!

just out of curiosity do you know how many mg per ml. just wondering whether ds is on a average dose. we have 12mg per ml and ds has about 0.25ml. am thinking of lowering it though now that he has a good sleep routine.

mum to one goregous boy

Sign in to follow this topic