Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. I have a new found respect for single mothers.I hope I dont come across as rude etc

I have a new found respect for single mothers.I hope I dont come across as rude etc Lock Rss

I am ashamed to admit that I have looked down on some single mothers without knowing the whole story but after talking to one of the mothers at school I will not judge people until I have personally spoken with them.I know single mothers and my sister is one, and generally dont have an issue with the way they raise their kids, but I know that somethings annoy me eg the ones who smoke etc whilst ther kids miss out.The other day I was speaking to one of the single mums from school at the atheletics carnival.I know some people dont really like her as she comes across a bit "rough",I have always said hello and spoken with her but the other day was a real eye opener.She is almost 40 with 2 sons, 8 and 14 from 2 broken marriages.The older boy is a bit of a handful( as all 14 yr old boys are).She recently found her older son was going with his mates into the city with some random older guy who was driving them.She intercepted them after speaking to her son and this guy.She drove her son to the police station to report this incident. The police gave him a talking to about men grooming kids etc.She has pawned her jewellry to be able to buy her kids shoes etc and so they can do things .I am so grateful for the life we lead and this conversation has certainly made me not take things for granted
Here's a big hi5 and hug for all the single mums doing it tough and the best they can!

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I couldn't agree more! Parenting is a tough gig when you have 2 parents doing it. I totally appreciate my dh being such a hands on dad. I couldn't imagine having to go through the highs and lows of parenthood on my own. I take my hat off to the single mums out there who do an amazing job on their own smile

vkw wrote:
I am ashamed to admit that I have looked down on some single mothers without knowing the whole story but after talking to one of the mothers at school I will not judge people until I have personally spoken with them.I know single mothers and my sister is one, and generally dont have an issue with the way they raise their kids, but I know that somethings annoy me eg the ones who smoke etc whilst ther kids miss out.The other day I was speaking to one of the single mums from school at the atheletics carnival.I know some people dont really like her as she comes across a bit "rough",I have always said hello and spoken with her but the other day was a real eye opener.She is almost 40 with 2 sons, 8 and 14 from 2 broken marriages.The older boy is a bit of a handful( as all 14 yr old boys are).She recently found her older son was going with his mates into the city with some random older guy who was driving them.She intercepted them after speaking to her son and this guy.She drove her son to the police station to report this incident. The police gave him a talking to about men grooming kids etc.She has pawned her jewellry to be able to buy her kids shoes etc and so they can do things .I am so grateful for the life we lead and this conversation has certainly made me not take things for granted
Here's a big hi5 and hug for all the single mums doing it tough and the best they can!

Definitely doesn't come across as rude, etc Hun! So don't worry about that smile
One of my mums friends was always very judgmental of single mothers til she realized one day how much mum was left on her own to raise us kids with no support at all (including financial) from dad! Then she met me and said to mum that she will no longer stereotype young single mothers any longer without knowing their stories smile I'm a lil different to most ppl I know cos I planned my first baby at 18-19 and then chose to go it alone when he was 5mths old and iv never been in a committed relationship since really. Everything I do is FOR MY KIDS. I barely have any clothes or anything for me at all but that doesn't bother me cos my kids have never missed out on anything. They're happy healthy and well fed/dressed/looked after. That's all that matters smile

Totally agree. Good on you for talking to her. I can't imagine how hard it would be to be a single parent. I know some days I can't wait for my DH to come home and it's those days that I think about single parents who don't have that. As other have said we need to be more open with our thoughts and not judge people by looks. Usually there is always a reason and sometimes all they need is a little emotional support. I'm sure that that lady felt wonderful when she went home to know that someone took an interest and listened to her.

Hi ladies,

Before i had my DD i admit i found myself being a little judge mentle of single mother's out there. And than one day i find myself in exactly the same position. It's very true you cant judge a book by it's cover, you have know idea of the circumstances that woman has gone through to become a single parant.
In this day and age i would of hoped that people wouldn't be so judgemental, as long as the child is loved who's to say either couples or single parants can do a better job.
I find when im walking down the street with DD people will look at me and i watch them, there eye's go straight to the hand and opps they realise there's no wedding ring there, and you can just see the judgement in there eye's.

It's very hard being a single mum, not having a partner to share the upbringing and special moments in my DD life. The sleepless night's and rough day's were you just want a cuddle from your partner to make it alright, we dont have that, and i admit sometimes it's by choice and other times (like mine) it's not.

Anyway sorry just sore this post and thought i might say something.
vkw wrote:

+1

I was just thinking this too the other day. In one week my DH had 3 evenings out and it made me appreiciate his help with the boys! and also realise how hard it would be to do it on your own all day every day. So hats off to all you wonderful single mums out there! smile

i dont think ur rude. to me u have been fantastically honest about something u have noted about urself and admitted it. and learnt from it. smile
My partner has been away for work for the past 8 weeks coming home only on weekends (he didnt come home last weekend though sad ) it really makes me appreciate what he does around the house and I was only thinking today how tough it would be for single mums! Its hard enough him being away temporarily I couldn't imagine not having DP around permanently !
Sign in to follow this topic